Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Is this a new thing at DL - Celebration Roundup?

Celebration Roundup
    4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. 6:30 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. 7:30 p.m. to 8:15 p.m.

I'm going to DLR for 3 days this month, and the above recently showed up in the calendar of events at the Disney website for Disneyland. I've never heard of it and it doesn't have a hyperlink to any info.

Does anyone know what this is???

Thanks!!!

Re: Is this a new thing at DL - Celebration Roundup?

Celebration Roundup Barbeque

I can't believe that it's been three weeks since I said I'd be back with more Disneyland summer information. Since most of my readers are moms, you know how it is, life just gets in the way. Between a big project I've been working on at work and wrapping up the redesign of Babes in Disneyland (the site), I've been swamped.

I'm excited to tell everyone about a new dining experience back at Big Thunder Ranch. For those of you who aren't well acquainted with Disneyland, Big Thunder Ranch is nestled along Big Thunder Trail, which is the trail that curves behind Frontierland and leads to the west entrance of Fantasyland. Over the years, Big Thunder Ranch has held a number of functions--from a petting zoo to a corporate picnic area to an outdoor theater for the Hunchback show back in the '90s. Throughout the ages, it has also served as a barbeque restaurant from time to time, and that's exactly what it's back to today. Currently, Disneyland is featuring a new dining experience called, Celebration Roundup and Barbeque. At the recent Disneyland summer kick off event, I dined at the barbeque and enjoyed it's ongoing entertainment offerings.

Many of you may recall the short-lived Aladdin's Oasis lunch/dinner show of the 1990s. The food was excellent, as was the show, but it just didn't make it. Price, coupled with hard and fast show times, seemed to sink it. The Celebration Roundup and Barbeque is the same basic concept--entertainment and a meal. Here's the major difference. The shows and character interactions are ongoing. There is constantly something going on and there is not set show time. Guests can come and dine as their schedules see fit and will never "miss" the show. The price is still a bit steep in my book at $28.99 for 10 and older and $12.99 for ages 3 to 9.

Don't get me wrong; the food was fantastic. We dined on tender chicken and pork ribs, corn on the cob, corn bread, watermelon, and beans. We also tried the vegetarian option of vegetable and barbequed tofu skewers. Delicious! The dessert presentation was nothing short of amazing. (See picture.) The desserts themselves were unbelievable. They are waffle cones filled about halfway with a mousse or other creamy concoction and then on top of the mouse is a cupcake topped with frosting. Seriously, it's pretty out of control. On the plus side, we were told that Disney uses low fat cream cheese and they do not add extra
    sugar to the icing or the cake. I thought it was a joke, but they were serious. Outside of Disneyland, I probably wouldn't
    be so concerned with the cost of this meal, but when the average family factors in the cost of admission tickets, this might be more than they can swing. I have a feeling this might become pretty popular with annual passholders who come all of the time and have already forgotten about the pain of paying for admission (and get a discount when dining at the park).

The meal is served family style with big bowls and platters brought to your table by happy cast members. And although it's family style, everyone need not order the same thing (i.e. not everyone needs to each vegetarian, etc.) And in true family style, guests can eat until they are full.
    Reservations can be made in advance by calling (714) 781-DINE. Walk-up reservations are also available.
    Last edited by jlauer95; 07-28-2009 at 04:10 PM.

ANAHEIM, Calif. – “What will you celebrate?” Whether it’s big or small, an extended family reunion or a birthday, Disneyland Resort has the ideal food and entertainment to enhance your event, including the all-new Celebration Roundup and Barbecue at Frontierland in Disneyland park.

WHAT: Celebration Roundup and Barbecue is the perfect Disneyland locale for a celebration. Here guests will enjoy a hearty, ranch-style barbecue meal while surrounded by non-stop entertainment including traditional western music and appearances by Sheriff Woody, Jessie the Yodelin’ Cowgirl and Bullseye the Fastest Horse in the West, from “Toy Story.”

WHEN: Daily, beginning Thursday, April 2, at Big Thunder Ranch. The outdoor dining area is open for lunch and dinner, subject to weather conditions. Guests with reservations are advised to call (714) 781-DINE to confirm the day’s schedule.

A NEW LOOK FOR BIG THUNDER RANCH: This family-favorite location in Frontierland now accommodates sit-down dining celebrations for groups of up to 24 people. The popular petting corral remains and some of its four-footed residents are enjoying their own celebration milestones. They’re joined in the corral area by Chip ‘n Dale. Meanwhile, the adjoining stage and sit-down area has been enhanced with new scenic elements and a piano. Musicians, onstage hostess Miss Chris, and “Toy Story” characters Woody, Jessie and Bullseye create non-stop entertainment while guests enjoy mouth-watering barbecue fare at their tables.

THE MENU: Lunch or dinner is served at the table in buckets, wild west-style. The bill of fare includes Barbecue Chicken & Pork Ribs with Miss Chris’ Special Secret Sauce, Cookie’s Cole Slaw, Lil’ Buckaroo Watermelon Slivers, Corn Cob Wheels, Ranch Beans, Cornbread and a vegetarian option of Barbecue Tofu and Vegetable Skewer. Kosher meals are available upon request. The unique desserts, Miss Chris’ Celebration Sensation Cupcakes, are served atop a waffle cone filled with tasty mousse in a variety of flavors. Children will also receive a souvenir sipper cup.

THE FLAVORFUL ENTERTAINMENT: Guests find non-stop entertainment and activity no matter when they’re seated or how long they stick around. Along with the character photo location at the entrance, there will be country musicians and ongoing stage moments with Miss Chris, the musicians, Woody, Jessie and Bullseye. Guests might visit several times and never experience the same entertainment twice. Some audience members are encouraged to join in the onstage fun, and the onstage cast may join guests in their celebrations.

THE PRICE: $28.99 for age 10 and up; $12.99 for age 3-9, plus tax and gratuity. Reservations may be made in advance by calling (714) 781-DINE. Walk-up reservations are also available.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

This isn't a character dining thing anymore. They just changed it and lowered the prices since no more characters. But it is an all-you can-eat deal... and dessert is extra now (no longer included in the price).

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

That is right, no longer a Character Meal, and now Entertainment is offered at specific times, and not anytime they are serving (like the old program).

So the times in the first post is when someone should be on stage entertaining guests dining there.

Also, dessert is no longer included in the meal.

So no Woody, Jessie or Bullseye....

So all the photos in post 2 are no longer correct, except the last one.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 07-28-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Seems slightly less fun without the characters though. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    That is right, no longer a Character Meal, and now Entertainment is offered at specific times, and not anytime they are serving (like the old program).

So no Woody, Jessie or Bullseye....

So all the photos in post 2 are no longer correct, except the last one.

Not true...the pics are from a recent show...these characters are part of the show. As you can see from the pics, these characters are in the show. However, I don't think the characters are walking around the restaurant as with character dining.

From Disneylandnews.com...

Along with the character photo location at the entrance, there will be country musicians and ongoing stage moments with Miss Chris, the musicians, Woody, Jessie and Bullseye. Guests might visit several times and never experience the same entertainment twice.

• Future Cast Member

it's delicious, and cheap for all you get, especially in the parks.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jlauer95 View Post
    Not true...the pics are from a recent show...these characters are part of the show. As you can see from the pics, these characters are in the show. However, I don't think the characters are walking around the restaurant as with character dining.

Alas, things CHANGE and they did last week!

No more characters...

No more Photo Pass Photgraphers...

And now only a set schedule for entertainment...

That is what the Original Post was about, why is the times are now listed...

And it is because they made MAJOR Changes to the area...

Sorry, but I DO know what I am talking about, and it is TRUE.....!
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 07-28-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Im the fun mommy :)

Quote Originally Posted by jlauer95 View Post
    ANAHEIM, Calif. – “What will you celebrate?” Whether it’s big or small, an extended family reunion or a birthday, Disneyland Resort has the ideal food and entertainment to enhance your event, including the all-new Celebration Roundup and Barbecue at Frontierland in Disneyland park.

WHAT: Celebration Roundup and Barbecue is the perfect Disneyland locale for a celebration. Here guests will enjoy a hearty, ranch-style barbecue meal while surrounded by non-stop entertainment including traditional western music and appearances by Sheriff Woody, Jessie the Yodelin’ Cowgirl and Bullseye the Fastest Horse in the West, from “Toy Story.”

WHEN: Daily, beginning Thursday, April 2, at Big Thunder Ranch. The outdoor dining area is open for lunch and dinner, subject to weather conditions. Guests with reservations are advised to call (714) 781-DINE to confirm the day’s schedule.

A NEW LOOK FOR BIG THUNDER RANCH: This family-favorite location in Frontierland now accommodates sit-down dining celebrations for groups of up to 24 people. The popular petting corral remains and some of its four-footed residents are enjoying their own celebration milestones. They’re joined in the corral area by Chip ‘n Dale. Meanwhile, the adjoining stage and sit-down area has been enhanced with new scenic elements and a piano. Musicians, onstage hostess Miss Chris, and “Toy Story” characters Woody, Jessie and Bullseye create non-stop entertainment while guests enjoy mouth-watering barbecue fare at their tables.

THE MENU: Lunch or dinner is served at the table in buckets, wild west-style. The bill of fare includes Barbecue Chicken & Pork Ribs with Miss Chris’ Special Secret Sauce, Cookie’s Cole Slaw, Lil’ Buckaroo Watermelon Slivers, Corn Cob Wheels, Ranch Beans, Cornbread and a vegetarian option of Barbecue Tofu and Vegetable Skewer. Kosher meals are available upon request. The unique desserts, Miss Chris’ Celebration Sensation Cupcakes, are served atop a waffle cone filled with tasty mousse in a variety of flavors. Children will also receive a souvenir sipper cup.

THE FLAVORFUL ENTERTAINMENT: Guests find non-stop entertainment and activity no matter when they’re seated or how long they stick around. Along with the character photo location at the entrance, there will be country musicians and ongoing stage moments with Miss Chris, the musicians, Woody, Jessie and Bullseye. Guests might visit several times and never experience the same entertainment twice. Some audience members are encouraged to join in the onstage fun, and the onstage cast may join guests in their celebrations.

THE PRICE: $28.99 for age 10 and up; $12.99 for age 3-9, plus tax and gratuity. Reservations may be made in advance by calling (714) 781-DINE. Walk-up reservations are also available.
    ummm nope not any more.
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

Yes, the PP is correct. The Ranch has been Character free for a week now. Woody and Jessie are back to roaming the Big Thunder Trail, and it would seem Chip and Dale have decided to take up (meet and greet) residence at the Petting Zoo area.

• DLR Cast Member

Sees to be correct. I've been out of town since last week, but what I have seen late Sunday and today fits with what Darkbeer has posted. I'll probably eat there at least once this once weekend and I'll post my reaction.

• DLR Cast Member

Well, I ate there last night. The smoked sausage was a welcome addition to the variety, and the butter was served in little balls (much easier to use when your fingers are covered with Barbecue sauce and chicken fat than the foil wrapped butter they used to use) (this was my 24th time to eat there, so something different is nice). The food was very good, as always, but the pricing wasn't really clear. What I used to eat, including drink dessert and coffee, would have cost me more than the old price, so I don't see any price reduction (it's still all you can eat, so I had a 3rd helping of cole slaw for dessert). There was no gratuity added on the check, so I wrote in about 15%. The wait staff really does try. I don't know if there is a new policy not adding the 15% gratuity - as soon as I have a chance to ask a manager, I will let you know.

The entertainment is now Tex Tumbleweed, Sarsaparilla Sam, and Miss Chris, starting at 4:30. They do 4 45 minute sets, each starting with Tex for 15 minutes by himself, then Sam and Chris come out at the 15 minute mark, then Tex leaves at the 30 minute mark, then everyone leaves and there is no entertainment at all for 15 minutes.

Haven't had time yet to decide if I'm happy or sad about the changes, but I my gut is really toward sad.

• DLR Cast Member

Just an update to the above.

The first musician comes out about 12:20 pm now, instead of 11:30 as before, so the entertainment really starts then. There is a fairly long gap at 3:00 with no one entertaining.

The automatic 15% gratuity is no longer being added. As I understand it, that is a normal thing for "Character Dining" restaurants, but the Ranch is no longer Character dining.

• Disneyland Enthusiasts

we ate there as a family in June and our toddler loved the singing and characters. it was pretty good, and they cast members kept bringing the food out. except, woody kept trying to stick his dirty gloved hand in our 5 month old baby's mouth. no idea why.. and he didn't get the hint.

so in the past few months. no more characters or mandatory gratuity... but they've added smoked sausage.

so the characters (woody, jessie, bullseyem chip and dale) don't come out with the musicians or singers at all? just trying to clarify.
    http://findingmickey.com
    the hidden mickeys and details of disneyland resort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast