Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

How To Improve Tomorrowland In 5 Simple Steps

(WARNING: HUGE post alert! ... Just thought you should know.)

I think we can all agree that Tomorrowland isn't all that great right now, visually speaking. If I were in charge, this is how I would fix things:

Step 1: Clean it up!

Take a look at this pic:

Okay, so it's not the grungiest place on earth. But still, this is the kind of thing you'd expect from Six Flags.
    What Disney needs to do is close off the land for a day, and then give all the CMs there a bucket of paint and a Mr. Clean Eraser Sponge. Problem solved!

Step 2: Paths, planters, and more!

If Disney manages to will themselves into into giving Tomorrowland a good scrubbing, the next step would be to update the ground, benches, lights, and planters around the land. For instance:

The paths on the top of the picture are fine, but the one on the bottom definitely needs to be replaced by one of the others (or something different, I guess). But even the one at the top isn't perfect...

See how some of the tiles look rougher than others? I guess they were aiming for a sort of checkerboard effect, using new and old tiles of concrete, but overall it looks like a mess. Each tile should look smooth and dark.

I know this'll sound nitpicky, but I wish Disney would give these lights a nice coating of chrome paint.

See? Much better.

The planters are decent as they are, but they could still be improved. For instance, some of them have a sort of blueish, rocky look around the base. Are there blue rocks in the future? (The one pictured here is silver, which is fine.)

Now THIS is a planter.
    While we're on the subject, do you see those wood chips in the other pic? I think gravel would work better, don't you? Or if that wouldn't work, why not cover the dirt with grass?

Lastly, we have these tarps around the land that provide shade for guests. In order to make the atmosphere more futuristic, the tarps should be replaced by sheets of stainless metal, like the kind you see here:

(Bonus points if you can guess where this picture was taken!)

Step 3: Exterior Enhancement

(Warning! Excessive amounts of RBCA can be found in this step. RBCA = Really Bad Concept Art.)

Here's where things get interesting! To help you see what I have envisioned, I've made some concept art doodles to help illustrate my ideas.

First up is the BLAB exterior.

Since its opening, people have been questioning BLAB's theme.
    "Why are we the size of toys all of a sudden?"
    "If Buzz is supposed to be a real person in this ride, why does Zerg get sent back to a toy store?"
    "Why does that mural up there have Space Mountain floating about in outer space?"

The solution would be to theme the exterior to a futuristic toy store. At the top of the building would be a gyroscopic sign, saying "INTERGALACTIC TOYS" across it. The mural would be replaced by a collection of gears. Every 10 minutes or so, the gears will start grinding, and the gyroscope will start spinning.

Beneath that would be the fastpass area, which will be designed to look like a window display. The fastpass machines, sporting zany faces and bright colors, will be right up against the glass, with holes to insert your ticket and receive the fastpass. Beyond the machines would be shelves filled with futuristic and alien-y toys.

The actual entrance to the ride would be pretty much the same, except a bit zanier looking, and with an large arrow pointing to it that says "Play with your toys like never before with our new Shrink-O-Matic!" On the inside, instead of murals with Little Green Men company, the walls would be metallic, and the room would be less well-lit. Around the room, colored lights will slowly come on, and then fade away again. The rest of the ride would be unchanged.

This one's a bit simpler- paint the rings around the Autopia tower green! Looks much better, no? It goes well with the lagoon next door, too. Speaking of which...

The Nemo queue is bland. Which is bad, since it is usually very, very long. As you can see in this picture, the dim lighting makes the queue look a tad dreary...

BUT, exchange the regular ol' plants for strange and exciting ones, and all of a sudden the dim lighting makes the queue all the more mysterious and spooky! The glass display boxes would have signs attached that said things like "Imported from Mars" and such. See that flower on the right? Every few minutes, the two dots above the line would open up to reveal eyes, and the line would open up to reveal a mouth full of sharp teeth. After growing and gnashing at guests for a few seconds, the creature goes back to sleep.

Good ol' Space Mountain is next. Here's what would be done: the floor would be torn up, leaving a pit about two two or three feet deep. This pit would then be filled with smooth rocks and bright (blue?) lights. Metal bars would then be set going across the pit. Then, thick sheets of glass would be fixed to the metal bars. So, the overall effect is bright, ethereal, and bizarre, just like space (although I'll admit a majority of space isn't very bright).

Along with the floor being remodeled, there would also be a wall put up between the walkway and the HISTA waiting area. That way you can't hear the TVs ramble on quite so much when enjoying the atmosphere, or dining in the restaurant nearby.

By the way, are you wondering about those red and blue lights on the floor and walls? They're basically just pulsing lights that travel along the hall. Blue goes toward the ride, red moves toward the exit.

Finally, the curve between Star Tours and Star Traders:

(Credit to Datameister for the 3D model.)

I'm not entirely sure what this semicircular space is being used for at the moment, but I'm sure it's nothing important.

What I would do to it is is completely cover up the mural and the wall below it. The mural would be replaced by a rocky wall, with water running down it. The section you see under that is what catches the water and sends it back to the top of the fountain. Beneath that would be a simple wall made up of several pieces of metal, with some being finished differently than others.

Up on the top of the building would be several concave (I think) sheets of copperish-gold (and rust resistant) metal, down which water would flow. The water would trickle down each level, before arriving at the last one, which is convex. It's then sent back to the top.

Now, it's possible that you're wondering, "What do fountain buildings have to do with the world of tomorrow?" Well, I always imagined the future as a place where all of our buildings, be they art schools or doorknob factories, are works of art. Plus, it looks really cool in my mind. So there.

Step 4: Out with the old, in with the older...

"Farewell, HISTA! So long, Starcade! Good riddance, empty track!"

The People Mover: back and better than ever! In this newer version, the cars are fairly doombuggy-esque. The pod-shaped vehicles would be fully enclosed, with blue-tinted glass on one side of you, and clear glass in front, so you can fully enjoy the view. To get in and out of the pod, the blue glass goes up, and the lower part of the side goes down, gently falling into an indent in the loading dock.

However, that would not be the only change! Thanks to advancements in modern technology, you would be able to make your pod swivel left and right, as well as make it go "Supersonic Slow", "Mighty Medium", or "Furiously Fast". Slow would let you take in the scenery better, while a fast setting would offer a more thrilling ride.

Oh, and the walls along the side of the track would be taken off (since you're enclosed in the vehicle) and be replaced by sheets of tinted glass that flare out from the track. This would not only provide shade for the guests down below, but it will make looking at the track a lot more pleasant.

Next up, this puppy will have to be taken down, because the rocket's comin' back from Yesterland! (And it looks kind of tacky up there by the pizza place...)

The new show is "Rocket to the Unknown", reminiscent of the old Rock to the Moon ride. Instead of everyone looking at one screen, the whole seating arrangement would be similar to that of Stitch's Great Escape at Walt Disney World. But rather than the chairs facing inwards, toward the middle of the circle, they would face out. All around the perimeter of the room would be screens (which require 3D glasses to enjoy). Every screen (or "window") would offer a different view of what's going on outside, giving guests more reason to revisit the show.
    The show could also be enhanced by using the special seats from Stitch's Great Escape.

The story would go like this: you're volunteering to explore newly planets. First there's takeoff, then you visit a planet with hostile plants. After that comes a planet made up entirely of ocean. Finally, on your way home, you narrowly avoid being sucked into a black hole.

The last ride change can be summed up in three words:

Starcade becomes ATIS.

Room or no room, we need that ride back! Make it go underground if necessary.

Step 5: And now for something completely different!
    .......but still the same....

Here's the Autopia you're probably familiar with:

My comments on these pictures, from left to right:

1. "The old tomorrowland logo being overtaken by ivy. Apt, no?"
    2. "Wow! Off-road terrain! This is different! This is exciting! This is...over already...."
    3. "Oh. A tree. That's pretty cool, I guess."
    4. "Hmm. A path through the grass ... I wish these cars weren't so loud..."

Here's HKDL's Autopia.

1, 2, 3, 4, & 5. "WOW!"

Plus, the cars make neat puttering noises.

So yeah, we more interesting shrubbery, props, and light fixtures. Also, it would be nice if the entire track could be "off-road", so there's no grungy concrete to detract from the outdoorsy experience. Oh, and the cars need to be electric.
    And we need a waterfall in there somewhere.
    And a cave.
    And maybe some AA wildlife.
    And more trees like this one.

Many years ago, there used to be an attraction called "America Sings." Some of you may remember it. It was show that consisted entirely of AAs. One of the greatest things about it was that, since each scene was done in a different room, you could have a continuous string of guests go through the building, instead of people having to wait for the entire show to finish before getting to go in.

Now there's Innoventions. You can play computer games and admire shiny furniture. It'd be pretty nice on its own, but in Disneyland, you can't be there without feeling like you'd rather be somewhere else.

SO, brand-new Dream Home or not, the place needs to be gutted out and converted back into a theater. But instead of patriotic animals, the peformers would all be robots!

"Welcome to the Robot Revue!"

This guy would be the announcer. He introduces each scene as you move through the building.

Scene 1: Opening number ("It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow")
    Scene 2: The Android Orchestra (Instrumental music and a light show)
    Scene 3: Daredevil act that goes comically awry, and a short vocal number.
    Scene 4: A big finishing number, ending with a reprise of the attraction's theme.

Don't think watching robots play instruments and sing would be interesting? Take a look at this Animusic video. Wouldn't something like that be amazing in person?

If you're worried about the robots appearing cold and emotionless, don't worry! All of them would have either a moving AA face, or a TV for a head. The vocal work will all be human, without the slightest hint of Wal-E-like voices (except for some of smaller robots, who will just make cute beeping noises).

The exterior would be unchanged, except for the banners, which would display stylized pictures of performers.

Oh, and the entrance to the land? Well, the first thing to do would be to take out the rocks, of course. After that, a new sign would be put in toward the left of the entrance. Unless they can design a better one, I think HKDL's would work nicely.

(Picture by Disney.)

Then maybe put in a fountain or two, and you're done!

________

And so, that concludes my really, really long idea thread. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it.

(All pictures (besides Datameister's model & the Tomorrowland sign) were made/taken by me.)

(On the off, off, off chance Disney likes any of these ideas, they're yours.)
    Last edited by Garfieldo; 07-28-2009 at 07:52 PM.

• =)

Re: How To Improve Tomorrowland In 5 Simple Steps

I like this thread. And not because you used my model!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Step One: Al used to do a full feature every few months, the "Wall Of Shame" featuring all the things that Disney maintenance had let slide to the point of being ridiculous.

And by some miracle it actually worked - after waiting for inertia to kick in and the Middle Managers (who deferred all the work to make their budget numbers look better) started getting bombarded with complaint calls from the Executives in Burbank going "Why wasn't this fixed *before* it got this bad?"

If you wanted to concentrate on making and maintaining a thread like that, I'm sure the Gods of Moderation would approve of it. They might even make it a "Sticky", right below the "Project Tracker" threads.

Step Two: The whole idea of going to the paving stones was to make odd colored patches like that "disappear" - but they didn't do it right. They need to either sweep fresh sand into the cracks to lock the stones in place weekly (to replace the sand washed out from hosing down every night), and/or give up and pour a concrete base slab under them so they can't shift. And they need to replace stones with fresh when they get stained, not months later.

Because you can see the problem with concrete patterned squares... If they remove a square to fix something underneath, or it just gets damaged - they have a heck of a time matching the rest of the walkway.

The old Slurry Coat and Paint system was ugly, but it was also easy to recoat the whole area after any patches and make it look uniform.

They need to find a happy medium - like perhaps record the EXACT recipe and materials for the concrete in an area, and the exact method of laying and finishing it, so they can duplicate it later. (At least a lot closer than they have been...)

Or give up and start using a 'concrete stain' coating after it's dry - there are ways to make it look better, just takes a bit of effort.

Step Three: RBCA much?

They need to do a lot of Plussing of the atmosphere, the planters, those nifty little details like lights embedded in the pavement and walls... But it takes Imagineers with (gasp!) Imagination, and Management to allow them a little free rein to 'Make the Magic happen'. And a small boatload of money, cant forget that part.

As to that roof fountain sculpture thingy, it could happen. But there are a few considerations - you always have to think about how much your add-on weighs, because the roofs beams columns and footings are only stressed for so much load. And it's a lot easier to add a layer of structure above the roof than to remove structure and change the ridge line.

Which is why stuff like that is usually designed in on a remodel. Then they can add the strength needed to hold it up.

Now if you want a cheap and easy "Plussing", they can rebuiild and update the two huge fountains at both sides of the Tomorrowland entrance - they were flanking the walls right where the Peoplemover tracks disappear into the buildings, and had big freeform water platforms on tall poles forming a cascade. Go look at some 1967 picture archives, it was beautiful.

A few years later they probably started having plumbing problems, so they turned the water off and used the fountain plaforms into planter baskets with spider plants...

Step Four: I'll say it again, go look up "Personal Rapid Transit" plans and ideas. And not just a loop inside Disneyland - Run it all over the area, and out to the area hotels, and over to Angels Stadium and the ARTIC transit center. The flow of vehicles repsonds to the flow of people.

Step Five: Autopia needs a redo, but not necessarily to all electric - that's not a Real Car, at least not yet. Gas/Electric Hybrid is the wave of the immediate future - and for proof, as I type this I just noticed that the Google Ad Box to the right of the Quick Reply box is for the 3G Toyota Prius...

The bigger concern there is to put in a real gas pedal that a kid has a chance of mashing down all by themselves - they take twenty pounds of force now. A real seperate brake pedal might be nice. They do have to rig the cars to stop by themselves when you just take your foot off the gas, but they should be able to come up with a compromise in the control programming, like a time delay.

(Been there, had to mash the pedal for the kid so they could concentrate on their driving.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Future theatre actress <3

Where the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake

The picture of the stainless metal was in the bathroom stall wasn't it?????
    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

AEROSMITH FTWW!

• Planning my next trip

Lots of great ideas.

Dont know about the stainless as sunshades, lot of radiated heat underneath as well as glare to those nearby.

• Light up the HALO!

Great idea for Space Mountain.
    As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

• We Go On.

I love these ideas, especially of Autopia. I could probably live without the futuristic toy store facade, but other than that, I completely agree with you. Nice job.

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

(It's the attack of the quotes! And they're not even in any particular order! Run for your lives!)

Quote Originally Posted by PerformerInWaiting View Post
    The picture of the stainless metal was in the bathroom stall wasn't it?????
    Well, it's entirely possible that you can find it the bathroom, too; but that's not where the picture was taken.

Hint: It was outside.

Quote Originally Posted by rokketride View Post
    Lots of great ideas.

Dont know about the stainless as sunshades, lot of radiated heat underneath as well as glare to those nearby.
    Oh. Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. I'd sort of envisioned a "stainless Tomorrowland", so that puts a damper on things. I'll think of something, though.

Quote Originally Posted by junglecskipper View Post
    Great idea for Space Mountain.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Step One: Al used to do a full feature every few months, the "Wall Of Shame" featuring all the things that Disney maintenance had let slide to the point of being ridiculous.

And by some miracle it actually worked - after waiting for inertia to kick in and the Middle Managers (who deferred all the work to make their budget numbers look better) started getting bombarded with complaint calls from the Executives in Burbank going "Why wasn't this fixed *before* it got this bad?"

If you wanted to concentrate on making and maintaining a thread like that, I'm sure the Gods of Moderation would approve of it. They might even make it a "Sticky", right below the "Project Tracker" threads.

Step Two: The whole idea of going to the paving stones was to make odd colored patches like that "disappear" - but they didn't do it right. They need to either sweep fresh sand into the cracks to lock the stones in place weekly (to replace the sand washed out from hosing down every night), and/or give up and pour a concrete base slab under them so they can't shift. And they need to replace stones with fresh when they get stained, not months later.

Because you can see the problem with concrete patterned squares... If they remove a square to fix something underneath, or it just gets damaged - they have a heck of a time matching the rest of the walkway.

The old Slurry Coat and Paint system was ugly, but it was also easy to recoat the whole area after any patches and make it look uniform.

They need to find a happy medium - like perhaps record the EXACT recipe and materials for the concrete in an area, and the exact method of laying and finishing it, so they can duplicate it later. (At least a lot closer than they have been...)

Or give up and start using a 'concrete stain' coating after it's dry - there are ways to make it look better, just takes a bit of effort.

Step Three: RBCA much?

They need to do a lot of Plussing of the atmosphere, the planters, those nifty little details like lights embedded in the pavement and walls... But it takes Imagineers with (gasp!) Imagination, and Management to allow them a little free rein to 'Make the Magic happen'. And a small boatload of money, cant forget that part.

As to that roof fountain sculpture thingy, it could happen. But there are a few considerations - you always have to think about how much your add-on weighs, because the roofs beams columns and footings are only stressed for so much load. And it's a lot easier to add a layer of structure above the roof than to remove structure and change the ridge line.

Which is why stuff like that is usually designed in on a remodel. Then they can add the strength needed to hold it up.

Now if you want a cheap and easy "Plussing", they can rebuiild and update the two huge fountains at both sides of the Tomorrowland entrance - they were flanking the walls right where the Peoplemover tracks disappear into the buildings, and had big freeform water platforms on tall poles forming a cascade. Go look at some 1967 picture archives, it was beautiful.

A few years later they probably started having plumbing problems, so they turned the water off and used the fountain plaforms into planter baskets with spider plants...

Step Four: I'll say it again, go look up "Personal Rapid Transit" plans and ideas. And not just a loop inside Disneyland - Run it all over the area, and out to the area hotels, and over to Angels Stadium and the ARTIC transit center. The flow of vehicles repsonds to the flow of people.

Step Five: Autopia needs a redo, but not necessarily to all electric - that's not a Real Car, at least not yet. Gas/Electric Hybrid is the wave of the immediate future - and for proof, as I type this I just noticed that the Google Ad Box to the right of the Quick Reply box is for the 3G Toyota Prius...

The bigger concern there is to put in a real gas pedal that a kid has a chance of mashing down all by themselves - they take twenty pounds of force now. A real seperate brake pedal might be nice. They do have to rig the cars to stop by themselves when you just take your foot off the gas, but they should be able to come up with a compromise in the control programming, like a time delay.

(Been there, had to mash the pedal for the kid so they could concentrate on their driving.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    I'd love to do a "Wall of Shame" type of thing! But sadly, I can't. I don't go to the parks frequently enough.

As long as it looks good, I really don't care what Disney does.

There was a lot of stuff I was thinking of adding, from trash cans to chairs, but I figured you guys wouldn't care about that. It's good to know that the fountain/building/sculpture thingy would be in the realm of possibility. I realize it's incredibly likely that the fountains and gears and whatnot would be shut off after a while, but at least they'd still look good even if they weren't functioning.

I looked up PRT, and it's pretty interesting. Unfortunately, it's doubtful that Disney would do anything other than extend the monorail track. But as a ride, I think the People Mover would work better as a bunch of smaller pods, instead of one big shuttle. That seems a bit too much like riding a bus, which usually unpleasant.

The Autopia cars won't use electricity, gas, or sunlight. Driving the car powers the car, see? Guests will really be driving an actual car of the future...

...just like you really ride on the actual Dumbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I like this thread. And not because you used my model!
    That's good news. I was a little worried that you would react negatively to having your work RBCA'ed.

I love these ideas, especially of Autopia. I could probably live without the futuristic toy store facade, but other than that, I completely agree with you. Nice job.
    Sorry, I just couldn't think of any way for it to possibly make sense.

I'd have to agree with Bruce on a number of points. Matching concrete after repairs is a PITA because different pours (even with the same ratios) can come out with variation when poured at different times and temperatures but something could be done to create a broad stroke of uniformity.

I'd also agree that the pedals at autopia needs some rethinking. Sometimes I have to admit after a day of walking my legs ache too much to really mash down on the pedal-which means I'll skip the road trip.

While going to electric cars could be cool I wonder how far into tomorrow that really is? Would we complain about it needing updating is say 5-10 years because electric cars are becoming more and more part of our everyday lives?

I wonder if Autoia could benefit from a major over haul...I think this has been exhaustively debated and described on the forums. But my 2 cents would be to re-theme the entire thing as if one was driving "mars rover" type vehicles and exploring different planets. (my favorite part of the current attraction is the small off road section)

I know tomorrow land doesn't have to be about space in its entirety. Maybe it could even take after the notion in string theory that there are something like 28 dimensions. Small sections of tunnels could block out any unthemed views and provide the necessary transitions between planets of dimensions. The tunnels could simulate space or inter dimensional travel.

Now that I am thinking more and more about the different dimensions idea I am reminded of the show sliders...man that was a great idea for a show.
    If you liked the above posting then my name is Joel. If you didnt my name is Julie and I work on the monorail.

• Comets? Comets!

Quote Originally Posted by Garfieldo View Post

Okay, so it's not the grungiest place on earth. But still, this is the kind of thing you'd expect from Six Flags.
    What Disney needs to do is close off the land for a day, and then give all the CMs there a bucket of paint and a Mr. Clean Eraser Sponge. Problem solved!
    They actually do give the buildings a power wash every couple of months. I believe it's on a rotation schedule, where they go to different buildings after close. And with large buildings like Space Mountain, they usually take a few days to do it.

• We Go On.

^Power wash is okay, but not enough. Lots of that stuff needs to be re-painted. The good news however, came when I went to Disneyland recently and saw a few guys painting the Star Tours facade.

• Faerie Godmother

The Autopia is far too prosaic for Tomorrowland. The cars need to be replaced with more eco-friendly ones, and I would also support re-theming the whole ride so that it's a drive through an alien landscape. There could be rock formations like the ones in front of the Tomorrowland entrance, weird vegetation (both bizarre-looking live plants and artificial invented ones), AA alien animals, maybe even the ruins of an ancient alien city. That would be much more fun and interesting than a "Car Park" and miniscule off-road section. If they left the track pretty much as it is and just added stuff to the grounds, it needn't take very long or cost very much.

• Banned User

The only part I didn't understand was making your pod go different speeds.

What if someone was going superfast? They might just crash into someone in front of them going superslow.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post

I think the effectiveness was due in part to its exposure on Miceage. Bringing it onto the forums may or may not work. Threads about neglect have been met with varying degrees of criticism in the past.

As to the OP... not a big fan of sheet metal covers because they reflect light and heat up. I do like the thoughts about the planters and wish for AA alien plants and robots as well. I'm also partial to the Planetary Reserve for Innoventions, Autopia, and Subs. I liked the "future game" aspect of BLAB. I just wish Tomorrowland was reflective of the future.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Tech-I saw you outlined some great ideas for a revamp of theme in another thread and had similar thoughts about "planetary rovers" and such. I promise I didn't read that prior to posting (no intent for intellectual copyright infringement).
    If you liked the above posting then my name is Joel. If you didnt my name is Julie and I work on the monorail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast