Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

What would you change DCA's name to?

I don't know if this sort of thread has been done before. I know it isn't too original, but I was wondering this for a while. What would you change Disney's California Adventure to? The name is what's really keeping the park back. If you are trying to make a California theme, you can only do so much without becoming stale. For one, I read that Walt's vision for Disneyland was to try to make it as different from a pier theme park as possible and having that be one of the lands at DCA always seemed like a slap to Walt Disney's face.
    So I started thinking, if you were to change the name of the theme park I guess you could have the same freedom as any other Disney park without being worried "Is that in California?" or "Hmm, does this represent California correctly?" For the most part, you could only do so much with California + Disney.
    My idea was remove the "California" and just have it be Disney's Adventure and it could be like one huge adventureland.
    Once again, this is obviously hypothetical, but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts of what a better moniker could be for the lesser liked park. To put it out there, I enjoy DCA, but admit that lands like A Bug's land and Hollywood Backlot are a complete waste. A Bug's Land doesn't really have a California feel to it, so I never understood that. Still, what would you rename DCA just so it isn't restricted to California.

• Banned User

Re: What would you change DCA's name to?

Walt Disney's California Adventure.

• Banned User

^ That's a good name.. I'd still call it California Adventure anyway though :P

I'm not sure what else I would call it.

• Minion

Pretty Walt Disneys california adventure! And altho bugsland isnt that Californian. The parks still primarilly based on the golden state.

• "I Break Things"

I would leave it Disney's California Adventure... I don't think the problem is with the name or with the California theme... for me the problem is how everything was executed.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

^Well said techskip! Thats so true

I wouldn't change it. The name fits the park's theme.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I wouldn't change it either- it's just the park that needs changing.

• =)

I would worry first about turning it into the park it needs to be. If it's got a clear mission statement, a solid raison d'ętre, an immediately accessible and understandable core concept...well, it'll practically name itself. The park in its original form certainly had a clear goal, and its name expressed that fairly well. It just happened that Disney didn't go about creating a very amazing end product, although I firmly believe that a California theme could have worked.

Now the park is being overhauled with a number of very good elements that will nevertheless tear any sense of unity apart. The park won't have Disneyland's "cardinal realms," nor will it have its original Californian unity. It will be a mix of many different elements that aren't even related in an abstract way. Lots of California, yes...but there'll also be a small town in Arizona, a realm of mermaids on the ocean floor presumably near Denmark, a land of anthropomorphic and non-California-specific bugs, a generic amusement park that could be from anywhere on any coast...what does that all add up to?

How about Walt Disney's Alittlebitofeverything DisneyPark of Dreams: Anaheim®? We can abbreviate it WDADPODA.

• Animation Domination

I wouldn't change it to anything.
    Just leave it as Disney's California Adventure.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Senior Monorail Minion

Walt Disney's Californian Adventure: A park detailing the journey of one man and a mouse...

This assumes they took this angle, which at one time, was a major thought for the park... I don't believe it is any longer
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Sock Puppet

Well Datamister said what I was thinking: the goal was to have tourist experience California in a day. That idea went out the door a long time ago. Aside from the park being in California, the California theme has long since ended. That is why I posted the question since I don't really have a problem with the park, in fact I enjoy DCA, I just don't think the name longer suits it since so much of it has become... well jumbled. At one point wasn't there even a Lilo & Stitch show and that is based in Hawaii. I know that the concept was "Lilo and Stitch are visiting California," but frankly that just isn't enough. I understand that was Disney's big film in 2001 (when the park opened), but I still think that the name has long lost what it represented.
    Still. most of you say you wouldn't change. I don't think changing the name would make a difference, but I wondered just because so many non-California attractions are in there. To be honest, this was the first year I ever went to DCA and I liked it, but never enjoyed it being called Disney's California Adventure since I have been up and down this state and hardly feel any California in the park.

Walt Disney's Park that should have been Westcot

• Banned User

I think the name fits. Not only because the lose theme of the place is based on Californian concepts, but because it's a Disney themed Adventure in California. It can also be translated to Walt's journey to California and a celebration of that once the phases of construction are complete.

I know it's been said, and it will definitely be said again but ...

I think the name/theme is not the problem, it's the execution.

My take is that the name should remain Disney's California Adventure because it wasn't the name that didn't live up to the park, it was the park that didn't live up to the name.

The California theme could be taken in so many different directions from the large range of ecosystems in California to the unrivaled technological achievements of its people ... from the myriad of cultures to its rich history of exploration, discovery, and invention.

The California theme was in no way a restrictive theme that took away from the park. The representation of that theme in the park is what made California Adventure synonymous with poor performance and underachievement.

The park opened with a postcard, an extreme sports forest, a Hollywood found on a Hollywood backlot, and a not-so-romantic lagoon-side "pier." Are these really fair representations of the Golden State? Albeit, they were taking a step in the right direction with a historical bay area and a Monterey-style wharf. But overall the park had in no way portrayed the idealized view of California.

Why couldn't we see a tribute to the Gold Rush or a creative depiction of San Francisco and the Central Valley farmlands?

To put it shortly, the park was taken in the wrong direction straying from truly executing the California theme. Hopefully, the new changes to the park will in one way or another correct the huge mistakes of California Adventure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast