Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

How to solve the Disneyland crowding issues???

Hi All -

So, its clear Disneyland wasn't really designed to hold the crowds it sees now. During a busy summer day (or night) navigating some areas is near impossible. Queues become too long for their alotted area and stretch out into walkways causing more mayhem. God help you if you want to find a table to sit down and eat at some of the counter service restaurants. And dont even get me strated on the nighttime combo of Fireworks/Fantasmic.

How can they fix this? The park is obviously not going to get bigger (at least not the areas that already exist). Is it a matter of adding more ride capacity? (operating all cars, etc) Raising prices on admission substantially? Getting rid of the SoCal annual passes?

I personally think part of the madness is caused by too few cast memebers operating the attractions. There needs to be someone monitoring the line so that they can adjust the ropes as needed. It seems that this never happens.

Just curious. I feel like as they try to increase the visibility of DLR as a destination and try to keep people on property longer it will have to be addressed somehow, right? I mean, if the DCA redo is the hit they expect it to be, surely they know it wont decrease the amount of people in DL only increase it.

What are your thoughts?

• Sock Puppet

Re: How to solve the Disneyland crowding issues???

the only crowd control I find is difficult to navigate through is around 8 o' clock by Frontierland (due to F!) and in front of the Castle around 8:30 (due to the fireworks show). I wish I could think up of some awesome way to get from Tomorrowland to adventureland/frontierland during that time. I think the only reason it is hard is because people stop and stare and it really makes it more difficult to get across. Most CM's have given up on telling them to keep moving since it is so tedious to have to keep repeating it to people.
    Other than having people listen and not stop in the middle, I guess there isn't much else one could to to make the crowds during these specific times any better.

• Banned User

I think people just need to get over it. It's inevitable at this point. If you want to avoid crowds, go during times of the year when it's less crowded. I doubt DL will put a cap on capacity, so there's not much to do.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

Personally, I think some of the traffic flow employees are doing more harm than good with where they're postioned. Not all, but some.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Sock Puppet

That's the million dollar question!

But..

To do away with the crowds is to do away with the profits.

Disney needs the profits to continue to operate the Parks.

Crowds are a necessary evil.

And for the few folks that will actually not return to the Parks because of the crowds (despite the hundreds of folks that would threaten to), they will be easily replaced by the next new group of Park visitors...

As far as crowds moving from point A to point B goes, maybe they should open up the "backstage" walkways on Main St more often to help with the herds of folks leaving in the evening.

But then again, they would lose out on the "profit" of the sales of merchandise on said street...

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Easy, Get rid of monthly payment plans. That means less premium passes being sold and therefore less crowded on black out dates.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Fastest Man Alive

Easy. Stop being popular and offering great entertainment for families and peoples of all ages.

• "I Break Things"

From an attraction line capacity standpoint... eliminate Fastpass. There is a substantial thread on here somewhere explaining the effects of Fastpass on standby queues.

From an attendance standpoint... eliminate monthly payment for AP's which would discourage additional cheap PAP's. Also raise prices on AP's. People complain that the monthly plan is swelling the ranks and it is but there is a more substantial danger. The monthly plan allows people to forgo the substantial out of pocket expense for a PAP... giving them a cheap way to circumvent the block-out dates and get free parking. Block-out dates were the checks and balances of the AP system. After the year is up no more "free B-Day" promo. That also caused a substantial uptick.

Other options include proper staffing, opening backstage when necessary, removing the planters from Adventureland and fixing DCA so it becomes a viable 2nd gate.

Anyone who says "quite complaining and go in the off season" may not realize that due to year round promotionals there no longer is an "off season"... The park is now crowded year round.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Thanks, TechSkip. That's the kind of dialogue I was looking for.

I'm not talking about getting rid of the people necessarily - just managing them better.

I really think they are not doing a good job of keeping the queues staffed properly.

On an unrelated note...what's up with haunted mansion CMs walking through Fantasyland and Nemo CMs on Main Street? I miss the days old days when you didn't see that.

Add one for ditching payment plans. People can buy APs with their credit cards if they want to make payments. Paying interest? That's their problem. Excessively raising AP prices probably isn't a good idea, although a modest price increase for the lesser ones I doubt would hurt. Disneyland APs, specifically deluxe and premium, are already at a substantial price premium compared to those of other parks (from what I've gathered). Of course, part of this is compensated for by the "Disney premium", but I don't think all of it is.

One thing brought up in the latest parks update is the idea of phasing extended blockout periods in and out, namely the summer period for SoCals and Selects. This would lessen the huge attendance spikes around then. Possibly, SoCals and Selects could have alternating blockout days during this transition time too. (For a few years at least, Wednesdays through Fridays through most of June have been blocked for whatever reason. But for the sake of simplicity, nevermind those.)

For the second and third weeks of June, maybe Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays unblocked for SoCal, Tuesdays and Thursdays unblocked for Selects. Last week of June, a few unblocked days for SoCals. Beginning the second week of August, a similar pattern for a couple weeks. Maybe leaving one weekday a week or every other week unblocked, again different days for SoCals and Selects, in exchange for a slightly longer "blockout season", would cut down on it a little too.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by UbIwerks View Post
    *Snip*
    On an unrelated note...what's up with haunted mansion CMs walking through Fantasyland and Nemo CMs on Main Street? I miss the days old days when you didn't see that.
    On an unrelated reply...i know!!! they other day in DCA i saw a TOT guy flirting with what looked like a girl from Bugsland. My brother stopped and said excuse me sir but TOT is back that way. Rude but histarical!

As for crowd control I dont know the other day i was so upset looking forward to riding Space at night when the fireworks were going off. Thinking hey everyone will be watching the show. Not only was it a pain to get to Space but Tomorrowland was crowded and Space was still a 40 minute wait! They should probably put a limit on the number of groups that are allowed to come so you dont have 20 groups of 20+ people in the park that way they arent all clogging up the same line or attraction.

Or as TechSkip said get rid of Fastpass, it seems that whenever the two lines merge fastpass always gets the advantage and thirty something people get to go first then ten standby people. Seems like that at Space Mtn anyway and other rides.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

First step is to significantly raise prices on APs. Could also consider taking away "park-hopper" from APs. Either sell single-gate passes, or have it where the first gate you enter is the one you have to stay in for the day.

Done properly, this might be revenue neutral or revenue positive. If Disney doubled the price of APs, but only lost 40% of AP customers, this would be a net 20% increase in revenue.

A lot of AP holders are probably not worth the marginal revenue to Disney. That's not to insult the majority of AP holders, but we all know there are some who come to the park, don't buy gifts, don't buy in-park food, and then leave.
    Last edited by DaddyDeuce; 07-29-2009 at 05:48 PM.

• Storyteller

Honestly, APs are dirt cheap for what you're getting. I mean the premium, which includes parking and admission every single day of the year (if you were so obliged), is not even 400 bucks. I think they need to raise the prices by a bit, separating those who truly want the pass from those who figure they might as well upgrade their hopper because it's not much more. Disneyland is worth my money. They definitely need to stop the payment plan on the passes also, this got them into trouble.

• Senior Minion

I think that sooner or later -- probably sooner -- DLR will have a round of significant price increases of admission media, for the purpose of thinning its customer base.

Iger, and Eisner before him, were successful broadcasting executives. They know that when your commercial load keeps approaching saturation, you raise your rate card to thin out your ad clutter. You grit your teeth and take the anger of the clients who you've priced out of your market and who threaten to take their business to your competition, knowing that the ones who really want you (and who you want, because they can afford you) will be back eventually.

And a few years later -- very few years, if your programming is compelling enough -- you do it again.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I think that sooner or later -- probably sooner -- DLR will have a round of significant price increases of admission media, for the purpose of thinning its customer base.

Iger, and Eisner before him, were successful broadcasting executives. They know that when your commercial load keeps approaching saturation, you raise your rate card to thin out your ad clutter. You grit your teeth and take the anger of the clients who you've priced out of your market and who threaten to take their business to your competition, knowing that the ones who really want you (and who you want, because they can afford you) will be back eventually.

And a few years later -- very few years, if your programming is compelling enough -- you do it again.

Or, as has happened in radio, fire (excuse me, lay off) almost all of your employees on the programming side, and replace them with hard drives.

In Disneyland's case, audio-animatronic CM's.

I can see it now.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast