Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Banned User

Re: Cars Land vs. Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Which has you more excited?

It's what happens when Disney caters to only children. Carsland is being designed and built specifically for kids. Big Mistake.
    I'm baffled by this statement; this is just way, way off. Radiator Springs Racers will appeal to any theme park fan with a pulse. As for the other rides, they won't be E tickets, but from the concept art, I think most/all will enjoy them.

It really doesn't matter whether or not you liked the movie. If the rides are as exciting as they promise to be, your level of enjoyment of the movie is irrelevant. Personally, I wasn't crazy about the movie either, but I'm jazzed about the ride technology that will provide experiences unlike any others at DLR.

A few more examples. How many on Mice Chat have seen Song of the South? Hardly anyone. OK, how many love Splash Mountain? Most of us, no doubt. Same deal with Mr. Toad. I don't like the Disney movie Peter Pan that much, but I love the ride. I love Pinocchio the movie, but the ride is not as good as Peter Pan. Many here love Star Wars, but are tired of Star Tours. A lot of people who've never read a Spider Man comic still love the ride at Universal. I've never seen the Mummy movies, but I love Revenge of the Mummy at IOA.

I could go on and on with examples, but you get the drift. You may be somewhat more likely to enjoy a ride because you liked the movie, but i think most people can judge a ride on its own merits, regardless of their feelings about the source material.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 07-31-2009 at 09:07 PM.

I'm going to say Harry Potter. I am a HUGE fan of the books and a complete nerd when it comes to all things HP. That doesn't mean I'm not excited for Cars Land however.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I did like "Cars", more than most, and do enjoy collecting some of the cars toys, and thought the movie was in the top half of what Pixar has produced. And I'm looking forward to the Cars sequel.

Harry Potter just never roped me into their realm. Didn't even see the first movie until recently on tv, and didn't even watch the entire movie.

At first, I thought this was a strange question, since HP will be in Florida and Radiator Springs (yeah, I REFUSE to call it "carsland" - it sounds WAY too contrived), but after considering that WDW has done nothing, or at least announced ABSOLUTELY nothing, with this major addition/makeover of part of Islands of Adventure, this question does make some sense, as the scope of those projects are more similar.

Surprising to me, I find myself more intrigued with Harry Potter at IoA. The themeing just appears more imaginative and adds something that we haven't seen in either California of Florida. The major attraction I have high hopes for, so Universal has a lot of pressure to live up to high expectations. The interactive experiences appear somewhat interesting, but the themed over rollercoasters are extremely questionable.

As for Radiator Springs, haven't we seen most of this themeing over at Big Thunder? Yeah, disney will do some themeing to this area. But we've already met Lightning McQueen and Mater. As for the RSR, it look promising, the other two attraction look somewhat interesting, to a lesser degree.

Overall, I'm looking forward more to Harry Potter, it's more magical. Carsland just looks like Frontierland, take 2.

I'm excited for both Harry and Cars. Cars Land is a bit higher my list for a couple reasons.

Harry is basically a retheme of what was already a nicely themed land. The dueling dragon coaster is still the same as well as the other kiddie coaster. The one exciting thing is what looks to be an emmersive land with lots of interesting structures.

The one thing that worries me is the new attraction being built. According to what is known about it is that it will use the robo coaster system which could easily create height restrictions. The other rumor that has been reported is that the inside of the building already has several large curved imax screens inside. if this is true then universal seems to be doing the same thing Disney has done the last couple years and that has worried many of us.

The new King Kong attraction as well as the transformer atraction in USH are rumored to use screen technology heavily. Universal has also used the same basic idea with Spiderman.

The upside will be that the kuka arm will give them liberty to make the attraction more thrilling but if it is to thrilling than they will have many young harry fans unable to ride.

Cars Land from what i have heard will not only be a highly themed environment at a grand scale with lots of water features extraordinary landscaping and vistas and eventhough there are going to be some use of screen technology it will nto be heavily based on it.

i like the idea of a large attraction finally being built that actually uses full size props and effects over the heavily used screen technology that both comapnies have been using the last few years.

oh by the way anyone know why Universal has been promoting their new land. "A theme park within a theme park".

what exactly do they mean by that? what makes this new land diferent than the others to consider it a theme park within a theme park?
    Last edited by Baloo; 08-02-2009 at 06:38 PM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by The Mouse View Post
    . . .
    star trek
    batman
    spiderman
    lord of the rings

just two seconds of thinking off the top of my head. . .
    So you've seen a lot of kids with "Lord of the Rings" backpacks and lunchboxes lately?

From The Pixar Touch by Joe Price, "Variety estimated that sales of Cars products. . . totaled some $5 billion during the film's first two years. Bob Iger told a meeting of investment analysts in May 2008 that Cars was probably the second most successful film-merchandising franchise in history after Star Wars."

Still,
    HP is based on five HP books I carefully read and two others I heard as an unabridged books on tape. I liked all seven HP books and five of the six HP movies so far (I loved two of them), while Cars is based on my tenth favorite Pixar feature.

Maybe if Owen Wilson's voice hadn't sounded a little like Michael J. Fox in "Doc Hollywood," I would not have kept comparing it to the movie while I watched it.

The real Route 66 is cool (I live less than a mile from it) and I was impressed by the desert scenery of Cars, but the ugly drawings I saw for the Cars ride scenery didn't look nearly as impressive as the art for the HP land.

Still, if Pixar makes a Cars II movie that is as great as the average Pixar film, and if the Cars ride is long, cool and fast, Cars might win this race. Orlando's Hogwarts is almost certain to fall short of the one in the movie and in the imagination's HP's readers, while the Cars ride is almost certainly going to be more exciting than the Cars movie.

HP will have John Williams' music going for it.

I'm surprised Disneyland's upcoming area is being contrasted so favorably to Universal's in this section of a Disney fan Web site!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-02-2009 at 09:16 PM.

• Drink life to the lees.

I'm way more excited for Carsland (even though I'm closer to Orlando).... I've always HATED Harry Potter!!! There's just something about it that makes me flinch with discomfort........

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The one thing that worries me is the new attraction being built. According to what is known about it is that it will use the robo coaster system which could easily create height restrictions. ...
    The upside will be that the kuka arm will give them liberty to make the attraction more thrilling but if it is to thrilling than they will have many young harry fans unable to ride.
    The kuka arms should allow variable programming. Families with smaller children could get a tamer experience without affecting the other vehicles.

(Though I could see liability issues if a Universal employee triggered the wrong program...)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456