Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disney Will Eventually Go Back to 2 Annual Passholder Programs/Magic Morning Offe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
    I love the image of Lady Tremaine saying IF and that smile.....
    LOL, I also love seeing the Stepsisters responding" "Oh...If!" Just adding humor to this touchy issue, folks!

• Minion

Re: Disney Will Eventually Go Back to 2 Annual Passholder Programs/Magic Morning Offe

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SmallWorld CM View Post
    LOL, I also love seeing the Stepsisters responding" "Oh...If!" Just adding humor to this touchy issue, folks!
    And I love that image as well and the humor as well!

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I for one would really like a Senior Program as mentioned. As someone who has reached that magic age and as much as I hate to admit it, there are just some rides I can no longer go on (without paying the price for days afterwards). So I think us older folks could do with a little break in price.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    The AP program should be designed for off-season use only, to fill the park when it cannot be filled with per-entry-paying guests
    Exactly.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Before they had reasonable costs for annual passes our family would visit only once per year. Now we visit about 10-15 times per year and pay for food every time we go. Now how can eliminating these passes help bring in more money if we spent about 3 times the amount we normally would during our yearly visit? However, I am in favor of eliminating the ultra cheap So Cal Select pass and keeping the regular So Cal which is still a healthy amount of money for the park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Before they had reasonable costs for annual passes our family would visit only once per year. Now we visit about 10-15 times per year and pay for food every time we go. Now how can eliminating these passes help bring in more money if we spent about 3 times the amount we normally would during our yearly visit?
    Good point. The SO Cal passholder group does not outspend the tourists that come to Disneyland. Disney suits would rather have more tourists come to DL. Tourists book Walt Disney Travel Company packages, rent hotel rooms and cars. The cost of a tourist staying at a Disneyland Resort hotel for 3 nights or more would easily be higher than your family's food and merchandise purchases. Disney in 2010 and 2011 wants to present DCA to tourists. Disney knows locals will come. But there is a huge pressure within Disney that Disneyland Resort picks up the slack from WDW and becomes a destination multi-day tourist destination ...consequently, Disney wants tourists over passholders.
    Last edited by JoeCool; 08-01-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
    Good point. The SO Cal passholder group do not outspend the tourists that come to Disneyland. Disney suits would rather have more tourists come to DL. Tourists book Walt Disney Travel Company packages, rent hotel rooms and cars. The cost of a tourist staying at a Disneyland Resort hotel for 3 nights or more would easily be higher than your family's food and merchandise purchases. Disney in 2010 and 2011 wants to present DCA to tourists. Disney knows locals will come. But there is a huge pressure within Disney that Disneyland Resort picks up the slack from WDW and becomes a destination multi-day tourist destination ...consequently, Disney wants tourists over passholders.
    The problem is Disneyland will never become a pure tourist location like WDW. It is already ingrained in tourists head that WDW is the place to visit. The truth of the matter is most out of towners are ignorant of the situation. If Disneyland were to suddenly cut off locals the place would become a ghost town in comparison, regardless of advertising campaigns.

• Banned User

I agree that Disney has made a fiasco of the AP program but I don't think that it should be entirely at fault here. Special ticket offers for California residents were alot more aggressive in the last two years than in any year that I can recall. Disney parks suffered two major blows to the tourism industry in less than a decade, the first being 9-11 and the more recent being the recession, it's a surprise to me that the parks aren't reporting higher profit losses per quarter.

So what happens if in 2010 the AP program and the CA resident ticket specials are scaled back? What is Disney going to do to get more out of state and international tourists in the parks and spending money? Sure, local guests may take advantage of the ticket specials and spend less in merchandise and consumeables but at least that gives a 1:5 chance that a guest will make some kind of purchase in the park during thier stay. If you take away the local guests you get a rather empty park, even during peak times. When it comes down to airfare/gas + hotel + park admission + other expenses; the middle-class tourists of the 80's and 90's can't afford these kinds of long-distance trips in these economic times.

With that said I'm all for raising prices of the Annual passes, stabilizing or even lowering the standard front gate price, and diverting the budget for special CA resident tickets to the DTC to help bring some tourists in. But with local residents being so used to the 3-day park hopper and two-fer deals I wonder how news of the programs being scaled back (or even dissolved) will be received by the local crowd.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    I agree that Disney has made a fiasco of the AP program but I don't think that it should be entirely at fault here. Special ticket offers for California residents were alot more aggressive in the last two years than in any year that I can recall. Disney parks suffered two major blows to the tourism industry in less than a decade, the first being 9-11 and the more recent being the recession, it's a surprise to me that the parks aren't reporting higher profit losses per quarter.

So what happens if in 2010 the AP program and the CA resident ticket specials are scaled back? What is Disney going to do to get more out of state and international tourists in the parks and spending money? Sure, local guests may take advantage of the ticket specials and spend less in merchandise and consumeables but at least that gives a 1:5 chance that a guest will make some kind of purchase in the park during thier stay. If you take away the local guests you get a rather empty park, even during peak times. When it comes down to airfare/gas + hotel + park admission + other expenses; the middle-class tourists of the 80's and 90's can't afford these kinds of long-distance trips in these economic times.

With that said I'm all for raising prices of the Annual passes, stabilizing or even lowering the standard front gate price, and diverting the budget for special CA resident tickets to the DTC to help bring some tourists in. But with local residents being so used to the 3-day park hopper and two-fer deals I wonder how news of the programs being scaled back (or even dissolved) will be received by the local crowd.
    Excellent analysis. I agree the promotions in the last 2 years have contributed to the problem. Disney has overextended its hand with the local crowd...now CA residents expect these promotions. Unfortunately, these promotions will go away once the economy improves and the new DCA opens. I expect the Walt Disney Travel Company to aggressibely market tourists in 2010. I do expect the Two-Fer SO CA deal to remain but not during May through Sept 2010.

• Banned User

I am hoping that this is just a rumor......

I surely hope not or else I'll be pass-less.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    But with local residents being so used to the 3-day park hopper and two-fer deals I wonder how news of the programs being scaled back (or even dissolved) will be received by the local crowd.
    Disney has always heavily marketed local discounts. Before the twofers and before DCA was even built, they had a yearly resident salute discount that offered about 10 bucks (which was about 25% back then) off the standard one day admission.

Ideally, if Disney does want to scale back the AP program, they would want discount programs like the twofers to be present so as not to shock folks who are just giving up their APs. This would allow them to ween off a great deal of the so cal market before returning prices back to normal.

• sleepy lagoon

Before they had reasonable costs for annual passes our family would visit only once per year. Now we visit about 10-15 times per year and pay for food every time we go. Now how can eliminating these passes help bring in more money if we spent about 3 times the amount we normally would during our yearly visit? However, I am in favor of eliminating the ultra cheap So Cal Select pass and keeping the regular So Cal which is still a healthy amount of money for the park.
    That is exactly right, Seawolf.
    You have just described our family's situation. We used to frequent DL just once a year, up until 2003. At that point, it just became ridiculous for us to pay for a single pass or one day park hopper, when a SoCal AP could be had for only $99 back then! So we became AP'ers (and now we are hooked!)
    It just didn't make sense now or then to pay so much for one day when we could come back for a whole year. The problem is that the price for a single day ticket is way too high. This needs to be adjusted so the average family can afford to come to the parks at least once a year. That is why so many people who live anywhere on the West Coast are opting for the AP's (and you can't blame them!). What Disney really wants is for lots of people to pay for the AP's, but not show up too often. Kind of like how gym memberships work...
    We save and save for our passes. It took us a year and a half to save for the pass that we currently enjoy. We go to the parks most every week that we can when we are not blocked. And when we are there we spend money! Money that Disney would not have from us at all because it is a joke for us to go once a year with one/two day ticket prices being so high, and have you tried going to DL with 7 children? You just don't get to see much in a day with the time it takes to eat and go to the bathroom, etc... but I digress...
    Anyway, I understand the need to do something. I think all their promotions have worked a bit too well. I also would agree that they do not need 2 SoCal AP's. Maybe they should play with blockout dates some, and rotate them in a different way? I don't know...But really, it is as Dusty said. This seems to be a love/hate relationship between AP'ers and TDA, and currently they don't seem to like us so much...

• Special Agent

The problem is Disneyland will never become a pure tourist location like WDW. It is already ingrained in tourists head that WDW is the place to visit. The truth of the matter is most out of towners are ignorant of the situation. If Disneyland were to suddenly cut off locals the place would become a ghost town in comparison, regardless of advertising campaigns.
    Locals are too expensive to entertain. They demand more and more every year and spend the least amount of any group going to the park.

What you see with the expansion of DCA is a continued effort to make the DLR more and more attractive to domestic and international tourists. If their efforts are successful then they will go ahead and start scaling back the AP programs and local discounts.

And if it works, they will go ahead and start work on a third park. Without the tourists, there's absolutely no reason to build a third gate.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Locals are too expensive to entertain. They demand more and more every year and spend the least amount of any group going to the park.

What you see with the expansion of DCA is a continued effort to make the DLR more and more attractive to domestic and international tourists. If their efforts are successful then they will go ahead and start scaling back the AP programs and local discounts.

And if it works, they will go ahead and start work on a third park. Without the tourists, there's absolutely no reason to build a third gate.
    Um... I wonder...just thinking out loud here... It would be interesting to see a cost analysis on average of how much an AP, going to the park several times a year and buying food, drinks, merchandise etc. spends over the course of a year compared to someone who maybe goes once a year for one or two days. I'm not saying that all things considered that the money spent would be equal, but it would be interesting to see.

Plus the fact that many AP's who don't live super close but who come several times a year also pump money into the local economy by spending money on local hotels, gas etc. I for one live close enough I could do a day trip (and sometimes do) but more often than not when I come down I get a motel for at least one night if not more.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast