Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Special Agent

Re: Disney Will Eventually Go Back to 2 Annual Passholder Programs/Magic Morning Offe

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Um... I wonder...just thinking out loud here... It would be interesting to see a cost analysis on average of how much an AP, going to the park several times a year and buying food, drinks, merchandise etc. spends over the course of a year compared to someone who maybe goes once a year for one or two days. I'm not saying that all things considered that the money spent would be equal, but it would be interesting to see.
    If a tourist pays for one night at a hotel room (with the cheapest being around 130 dollars), and a one day admission of 72 dollars, an AP would have to spend 200 dollars on food and merch on every visit to the park to make up for the difference.

That's a lot of churros.

• Senior Minion

Re: Disney Will Eventually Go Back to 2 Annual Passholder Programs/Magic Morning Offe

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    If a tourist pays for one night at a hotel room (with the cheapest being around 130 dollars), and a one day admission of 72 dollars, an AP would have to spend 200 dollars on food and merch on every visit to the park to make up for the difference.
    And that's conservative. According to TripAdvisor, average room price of Disney's Grand Californian at this time of year is $593, Disneyland Hotel $345, and Paradise Pier $295. Parking and "resort" fees are added.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    The problem is Disneyland will never become a pure tourist location like WDW. It is already ingrained in tourists head that WDW is the place to visit. The truth of the matter is most out of towners are ignorant of the situation. If Disneyland were to suddenly cut off locals the place would become a ghost town in comparison, regardless of advertising campaigns.
    I am not suggesting that Disneyland is going to cut off the locals. Locals can still buy the Deluxe or Premium pass. Disneyland will continue to do special promotions for CA residents. Disney invested $3 billion to build DCA, Downtown DIsney and GCH to make the Disneyland Resort a destination for tourists. Disney is investing an addition billion for DCA. WDW is and always will be a destination for tourists. Tourists spend more than locals. The last thing Disney suits wait is a park filled with just locals.
    Disney does more promtions for So Cal residents than it does for FL residents. Disney is looking at profits - tourists spend more - it is that simple.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    And that's conservative. According to TripAdvisor, average room price of Disney's Grand Californian at this time of year is $593, Disneyland Hotel $345, and Paradise Pier $295. Parking and "resort" fees are added.

Exactly. Tourists spend more money than Annual Passholder and Disney knows this.

• Minion

Locals are too expensive to entertain. They demand more and more every year and spend the least amount of any group going to the park.

What you see with the expansion of DCA is a continued effort to make the DLR more and more attractive to domestic and international tourists. If their efforts are successful then they will go ahead and start scaling back the AP programs and local discounts.

And if it works, they will go ahead and start work on a third park. Without the tourists, there's absolutely no reason to build a third gate.
    Good point. Locals expect deals and promtions after Disney over played its hand by extending promtions and deals. Disney now finds itself trying to correct the situation. A 2 passholder system with the creation of a Senior pass will lessen the blow to the local crowd provided Disney does a Resident promotion like $20 off a one day pass or a Two-Fer deal.

• Minion

That's a lot of churros.
    I agree. Tourists spend more on hotels, food and merchandise than locals do.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

So there is no hard news in this thread, just more endless speculation without facts about what is best for Disney. I doubt the SoCal passes are going anywhere, Disneyland has always been a mostly SoCal park, to this day there are not enough hotel rooms in the immediate area, much less on property, to fill the park to anything close to full capacity.

However the most distressing thing is that we have done this thread at least three or four times over the last few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    So there is no hard news in this thread, just more endless speculation without facts about what is best for Disney. I doubt the SoCal passes are going anywhere, Disneyland has always been a mostly SoCal park, to this day there are not enough hotel rooms in the immediate area, much less on property, to fill the park to anything close to full capacity.

However the most distressing thing is that we have done this thread at least three or four times over the last few years.
    Well excuse me for reporting on the conversation that I heard from 2 DL cast members. No one ever said that Disneyland was not a So Cal park.
    Sorry to waste your time. Isn't most of Micechat...rumor, speculation and opinion with some news and facts.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
    Well excuse me for reporting on the conversation that I heard from 2 DL cast members. No one ever said that Disneyland was not a So Cal park.
    Sorry to waste your time. Isn't most of Micechat...rumor, speculation and opinion with some news and facts.
    Except the title of your thread stated it as fact. Two cast members that have no reason to know this kind of stuff isn't much of a source.

• Minion

Except the title of your thread stated it as fact. Two cast members that have no reason to know this kind of stuff isn't much of a source.
    Look again Next to the thread is RUMOR!! Also the word "will" is in the Thread title. Also the word "eventually" is used which does indicate that the change is immediate or a fact.
    Excuse me: one DL cast member is in Guest Relations and the other cast member is an executive in Walt Disney Travel Company who is always in the loop.
    Last edited by JoeCool; 08-02-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Look again Next to the thread is RUMOR!! Also the word "will" is in the Thread title. Also the word "eventually" is used which does indicate that the change is immediate or a fact.
    Excuse me: one DL cast member is in Guest Relations and the other cast member is an executive in Walt Disney Travel Company who is always in the loop.
    You win Joe your info was worth yet another thread on this topic. Can't discuss tourists vs AP too many times.

• Minion

You win Joe your info was worth yet another thread on this topic. Can't discuss tourists vs AP too many times.
    Magic Morning is hugely popular since Disney made it available to ALL people who buy 3 day Park Hoppers. If Disney stopped this and only allowed Magic Morning for those who purchase travel packages from the Walt Disney Travel Company - the impact would be huge - in terms of people more than the 800,000 annual passholders.

I agree with what you said but corporate Disney wants to maximize its revenue and profits and add to shareholder value. The different passholder programs have worked..maybe too well and now Disney wants to solve the problem. They will look back to the 1980s and 1990s system that brought in record Disneyland profits. Any changes that are made will probably include keeping the monthly payment plan.
    Personally, I think that Disney needs to wait until the year is over before messing with the AP system. For 2009, they have promos that are cutting into their profits such as:

Birthday giveaway: Any passholder within easy driving distance can park at Downtown Disney, get their $69 gift card, and leave without spending any money. Given the dense population around DLR, that has to be a large amount of gift cards. This is probably a great promo for WDW but it has to be a profit killer for DLR.

Military Salute: This gives military members (active and retired) a free 3-day hopper. They can also buy up to 5 3-day hoppers for their friends and family that cost $94. Given the large military population within easy driving distance, this has to be another big dent to profits.

$99 3-day park hoppers: Doing this during peak season means a lot of people visiting the parks for $33 a day. Almost anyone can get these, I've never seen anyone verify residency at the gate. I'm surprised when I see anyone buying full price tickets at the ticket booths.

I think that Disney overreacted to the recession and that's what is cutting into their profits. Before they start wringing their hands over the APs, they need to look at their over zealous marketing department.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ46 View Post
    Personally, I think that Disney needs to wait until the year is over before messing with the AP system. For 2009, they have promos that are cutting into their profits such as:

Birthday giveaway: Any passholder within easy driving distance can park at Downtown Disney, get their $69 gift card, and leave without spending any money. Given the dense population around DLR, that has to be a large amount of gift cards. This is probably a great promo for WDW but it has to be a profit killer for DLR.

Military Salute: This gives military members (active and retired) a free 3-day hopper. They can also buy up to 5 3-day hoppers for their friends and family that cost $94. Given the large military population within easy driving distance, this has to be another big dent to profits.

$99 3-day park hoppers: Doing this during peak season means a lot of people visiting the parks for $33 a day. Almost anyone can get these, I've never seen anyone verify residency at the gate. I'm surprised when I see anyone buying full price tickets at the ticket booths.

I think that Disney overreacted to the recession and that's what is cutting into their profits. Before they start wringing their hands over the APs, they need to look at their over zealous marketing department.
    Excellent Analysis. I would keep the Military Salute.
    The $99 3-day park hoppers have to be elilminated. The Birthday giveaway was marketed so well in So California that it is indeed lowering profits.

• Big red truck

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Get rid of PAP and Deluxe. There is no reason to allow AP'ers in on busy days. The AP program should be designed for off-season use only, to fill the park when it cannot be filled with per-entry-paying guests
    A PAP owner here.

Disney's goal is to keep the parks packed around the clock, more bodies = more money spending on food and merchandise. Get as many bodies through the gates as you can.

There are over 24,000,000 people within 1-2 hours drive of Disneyland.

Disney makes a lot of money on their AP program. The "cheapo" AP's aren't impacting busy days since they're blacked out.

The local perspective of AP holders is usually "It's tourist season, Disney's a madhouse so we'll go do something else"

Trust me, large local groups usually stay away when it's very busy. Unless their out of state relatives come to visit.

I've had year passes for other theme parks in so cal and I probably only utilized them one or two times if at all.

Most PAP owners I know are high income professionals with large amounts of disposable income. Those groups would be more profitable than the family who is hunting for the cheapest hotel room in Anaheim, and then brings packed lunches into the park.

Disney corporate does a fine job of load balancing the park, PAP's are tracked for their spending [discounts at food and merchandise in the Park and Downtown Disney].

Disney "locking out the locals" would be suicide.

On a side note I think it's amusing that locals blame the crowds on the tourists, and the tourists blame the crowds on the locals.

Besides, those who actually know Corporates plans for park ticketing and revenue and the breakdown, outside of their quarterly / yearly reports, are violating their NDA by posting that info. So I think much of the speculation in the thread is well.. just that.

Speculation.

If Disney wanted only tourist traffic and no "local traffic", they would have built the park in a low population/ low traffic state. And guess what? It would have bombed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast