• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Should I renew using my AP discount, or buy a NEW AP? - October 2005 version

This is for folks who will have to renew under the new Annual Passholder Prices effective September 2nd, 2005.

I just checked the math in regards to which is better, to renew with a discount, or letting it expire, and get a new AP on the next visit.

If we are talking about a $349 Premium pass, that will be discounted $20 dollars to $329, the cost is 90.137 cents per day, which makes it 22 days worth with the new price.

Therefore for example, if your pass expires 12/1/05, and you would plan to go prior to December 23rd, then you will want to renew. But if you weren't planning to return until sometime in 2006, then you will want to let your old pass expire, and purchase a new pass when you return, say February 14th. You pay $349, but you will get an new expiration date of 2/14/07.

With the Deluxe at $229, and $20 off, that makes it $209, and 57.26 cents per day, and therefore, 35 days. So this time, if you would go anytime in the first 35 days after the current expiration date, then renew, otherwise let it expire.

A deluxe with parking, it is 28 days.

Since the SoCal or SoCal Select does NOT offer a discount for renewing, of course, just let the old pass expire and just get a new one on your next visit after the old one expired.

So, let's recap.

If you are a SoCal holder, or a SoCal select, DON'T renew!

A Deluxe holder should renew if they plan to go within 35 days of the expiration date.

A Deluxe with Parking should renew if they plan to go within 28 days.

A Premium AP holder should renew if they plan to go within 22 days.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 10-05-2005 at 04:23 PM.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Long live the Fire Lord

Re: Should I renew using my AP discount, or buy a NEW AP? - October 2005 version

You should definitely wait if you aren't planning on going soon. Especially since any cast member can get you that $20 discount when you do decide to buy a new one.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Should I renew using my AP discount, or buy a NEW AP? - October 2005 version

Thanks for posting that!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Pirate Girl

Thanks for the info.

For the past 5 years my parents have given me an AP for Christmas. First it was SoCal. Then it was Deluxe. Then it was only about $40 to upgrade to Premium. The past 2 years the prices have gone up so much I can't ask my parents to spend that much $ on me. Last year I got the second up SoCal one. I also got $120 from my Rick(I said NO presents, just give me $ to upgrade my AP) and I still had to add about $100(I can't remember exactly but it was a LOT) to get to a Premium.

The other problem occured 2 years ago. My Mom is an early holiday shopper. So, she'd renew my AP before Thanksgiving. Every time I'd go through the turnstiles for 2 months it would beep(in the bad way). They could see on my AP that it didn't expire until Jan. But they thought I already had the new AP. I explained a bunch of times. Once they almost didn't let me in(OY!). So after that I asked my Mom to just purchase a new AP and not to renew. I won't get it until Dec 25.

I do love having a Premium AP. I love being able to go anytime(when I am not working). And the free parking is a MUST! Can you imagine paying $10 every time you go to the park? And the dining discounts help. I am kinda bummed about the Disney Mag though.

Aprille :-) a happy APholder.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Something to think about... A Deluxe with Parking is $258 with the renewal discount (a savings of $70 over a Premium), do you go on the few blockout days the Deluxe has? How much do you use the 10% merchandise discount? How much will you save with the Food discount (15% vs 10%)?

For many folks, a Deluxe with Premium is starting to make more sense, especially with the new food discount policy.

• All you need is LOVE

Premium is way to go with discounts and then not worrying about black out days...

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Hi CL, sorry to disagree with you, but there are a lot of things to thinks about...

First off, what type of visitor are you....

Do you live in the area, and visit frequently? If so, you are a better candidate for a Premium.

But many AP'ers don't live near the park, and come down for a few days at a time, multiple times a year. These folks look more at the Blockout dates, and plan their trips, and will use the occasional day that is Blocked out as a day to go somewhere else (another park), the beach, shopping, etc.

Do you need Parking?, you can buy a pass for $49, but the price difference between the Deluxe and Premiun is $120.

I know of many families that used to get one Premium, and the rest of the family got Deluxe or SoCal's, but that was when the price difference was just $60 between the Deluxe and Premium. Some of them have switched to getting one Deluxe with Parking, and the rest of the family gets a Deluxe or SoCal.

The change of Food Discounts now gives all AP holders a discount at most locations, and the difference is 5% between the two... that is a LOT of Food to make up the price difference.

The other thing is the Merchandise Discount, for someone who would get a Deluxe (doesn't care about the blockout dates), it would require the purchase of $1,200 worth of stuff to pay for the difference, if they needed the parking pass, then it would be over $700 worth of stuff.

Now, if you might buy one or two blockout passes due to the blockout dates, that changes things.

But for many people, getting a Premium is overpaying.

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

We buy the Deluxe because we can't justify the expense for the premium. We live in the Bakersfield, Ca and when we come down, we stay 1 or more nights. We prefer to visit when the park is not as busy so block out days usually work in our favor. 99% of the time we choose a hotel we can walk to/from instead of buying a parking pass. The merchandise discount would be nice but since we come fairly often, we usually don't do a lot of shopping at one time. We do use the food discount where applicable but we'd eat in the park even if we didn't have it.

• Reaver of Souls

One other thing to consider, is when you renew, you get a 20% coupon for a single purchase for each AP. If you're buying something pricy (a painting, figuine or watch, for instance) you can save a bundle with that...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Rally Time!

the most important part of this analysis was forgotten.

by renewing by mail, you get the 'special shiny metallic Tink 50th card' - priceless
    a friend of Walt.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Great info. Maybe someone here can help me out as well.

For the past six or seven years now, we have had a premium for me with the Deluxe for the rest of us (4), for a total of five AP's. We used to let them expire, then get new ones with the AAA discount on our next visit to the Park. But when they changed to the renewal only discount and the 20% discount coupon, we have been renewing by mail the last couple of years.

We live in northern CA and visit the Parks three or four times per year, 4 or 5 gate entries per visit and stay at the DL Hotel. We have not parked in any lot or structure for many years, so our free parking benefit of the Premium is wasted. If we do stay off property, we take the (usually) free shuttles. We do eat at Goofy's Kitchen and the Blue Bayou at least once each visit, and we do buy more than our fair share of pricey items (especially this past season, with the 50th merchandise).

What combo of passes and types would work best for us???

Option A-Keep it the same as usual.
    Option B-Let them expire, then get new ones on the next visit (see below).
    Option C-Change to all Deluxe and renew by mail for the discount.
    Option D-Let them expire and then get new Deluxe ones for all of us.

Here's the catch...

We just got home from the Parks and we are going back for Thanksgiving week. Our passes expire in two weeks and they are quoted at the lower renewal rates (somehow we got lucky).

Maybe I should just renew as-is and then worry about it next year???

HELP!

Thanks.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

You can renew at the lower rates, but maybe just get Deluxe's for everyone...

Doesn't sound like you are bothered by the few blockout dates for the Deluxe.

You will get 10% off your bill at most food locations, including Goofy's Kitchen and the Blue Bayou (policy changed the 1st of September), the Premium gets 15% instead of 10% at all the food locations that give food discount (almost everything except ODV, Napa Rose and a few minor locations)

Here is a link to the new food discounts...

http://www.mousesavers.com/dlmeals.html#annual

You would lose the Merchandise discount, but do you spend over $1200 in Merchandise??? (The price difference between a Deluxe and a Premium is $120)

Just send back the order form and order Deluxes for all....

• A Pirate's life for me!

Thanks Darkbeer, great advise. And we will take it.

Even with our spending habits, I don't think that we will save the $120 difference in costs, so Deluxe AP's for all of us it is.

Thanks again!

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Quote Originally Posted by disney jones
    the most important part of this analysis was forgotten.

by renewing by mail, you get the 'special shiny metallic Tink 50th card' - priceless

OOOOOOO! You are so right, I can't believe I forgot THAT!

Note to the guy who said they were feminine, My boyfriend is the one who insisted on Tink! I was thinking the castle to represent the 50th.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

I gotta agree with CL here - we live in Arizona, and the days that we come are dictated primarily by my wife's schedule - a school teacher. Most times we can come revolve around a blockout date, so the premium works for us. Parking helps, plus the discounts really add up for us.

But I understand trying to save a buck. I guess the best advice is try to figure out how often and when you are going to visit, then do what's best for your budget and convenience.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!