Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• love my friends

Cool Re: California Screamin'

I heard this at work the other day.. THey had told us it would be up and running on friday (which is today)... I shall see when I go to work tonight.. I hope so..... miss this ride

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: California Screamin'

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl
    :: sitting on my hands ::

I am *so* ready for this to re-open! I want my coaster back! Hurry up with that report- how long do you need???
    What DOSH is waiting for is a phone call from Disney to come and check out the improvements, and then have Disney show DOSH thru testing that the brake zone 7 will stop a train correctly when there is a backup at the station. Once all repairs are approved, then DOSH will release the report, and allow Disney to operate the ride for guests.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Still wants to be a cat!

I will be happy if it's up and running by next weekend, Wolfette and I's next visit to the Park....her favorite ride, and since she's seen it being tested, she can't stop talking about riding it over and over and over and over again! Woohoo!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

As of 4 PM today (Friday, 10/7) the ride was closed.

They were running 4 trains, one filled with water babies, but no type of e-stops or other type of safety checking. Just the basic 4 train operation.

IMHO, DOSH will still need to come out and test the improvements, so don't expect to see it open this weekend (I presume they will get a 3 day holiday weekend).. but if you are in the area, it wouldn't hurt to check and see if they actually have people in the trains.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

More from Alex Stroup from MousePlanet.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stroup

Here is what I was told by Cal-DOSH. The report is in its final stages, out for executive and legal review. It still needs that review, go back to the investigators for probably minor, but possibly major, edits then back to executive/legal review.

Disney will then need to show compliance with the requirements of the report. Disney knows what will be required (though executive review could change them) so it is possible that once the report is issued they will be ready to immediately seek sign-off on the attraction reopening. The odds of these final steps taking place today (so that the ride could open tomorrow) are pretty unlikely. He wouldn't give an estimate of when the report will be done since that would make presumptions about what would happen in the reviews. My sense was that, even if it all goes smoothly we're still at least a week out from the report's completion though easily longer than that.

He also said that it was possible for Cal-DOSH to sign off on the ride reopening before the report is complete (and this is more common in minor incidents), but that it in this case it was really unlikely.

So, yes it is possible the ride will be open tomorrow, but I wouldn't encourage anybody to go to the park in hopes that it will be.

• Earth Intruder

Darn. They missed a great opportunity -- sell tickets to the APs to watch the entire Paradise Pier section of DCA get dynamited.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Circle of Ancients

We will be there tomorrow and Sunday. I'm not going to hold my breath, but if it opens ... SWEET!!!

OK, guys, I'm a Cast Member at the Disney Store, and I can tell you right now that California Screamin' will not be open this weekend. Most likely, the attraction will not be open until November. The attraction cannot operate until a final report has been released and Disney has made the changes required by DOSH. Disney must pass inspections before operations can resume. Heck, that's why Big Thunder Mountain Railroad took so long to reopen. DOSH didn't release their report until early March and Disney had to make their changes first and pass inspections.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the attraction is still closed until further notice.

But you never know, as they say information and operations are subject to change without notice.

Yeah, I thought the ride can't reopen until a final report is released on the cause of the accident, what can be repaired, what future actions will be taken to prevent another accident like that one, etc.
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

Visit The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets and Mickeypedia!

• dreams do come true

Quote Originally Posted by eyes_of_mara
    That's because CM's wouldn't want to give any hint of whether it was going to open or not. We are not willing to risk our jobs just so one guest can have some insider information.

I worked there for almost 11 years and have never herd of anyone getting fired for giving info of any kind. Its not like classified info that could lead to the distruction of disney or anything. Its just saying if an attraction will be open or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper S
    I worked there for almost 11 years and have never herd of anyone getting fired for giving info of any kind. Its not like classified info that could lead to the distruction of disney or anything. Its just saying if an attraction will be open or not.
    The quote was not said without reason.

It also brings up the troubling thing of the internet and chat boards. Alot of us on Micechat are DLR CMs (quite a few of the lurkers too) and unfortunately we DO know more than we let on sometimes, usually this is very specific information that even for this specialized board few would care about- but also part of being employeed by Disney is the signing of the confidentiality agreement.
    In the past this was basically no big deal- since basically in order to break it and anyone to notice you would have approach a newspapers or something. But now with boards like this, and blogs- Disney actually has people hired whose job is to patrol the net looking for people breaking the confidentiality agreement.
    Some of us posters, are clearly CMs and its easy to figure out who we are, especially with our pictures in our signature and whatnot. Thus we have to be careful in what we say, positive or negative, because it can be easily attributed to us.

Though yeah, it don't anyone would lose their job over something like this, it would take something more egregious- but it WOULD be a breach of contract on the part of the CM to speak such information or post it, and if the company wanted to get rid of them anyways, they just provided the excuse.
    We like working at Disneyland, and hope to continue to do so.

That being said, the flaming loop they are installing on Screamin' is going to be awesome.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• dreams do come true

There is nothing that an every day cast members knows that is that confidential to get you fired. I still know many who work there and I have not been gone that long. Yhere is know way that disney would trust that many people with something they wanted secret, because of forums like this. So the leaking of things like this are nothing to worry about losing your job over. I did much worse than tell little secrets about disney with them knowing it all and still left with rehire statis. Loved working their and plan to return when I retire many years from now. Just wanted you to know its ok to talk disneys not a secret keeping mafia.

• Shubisha

If disney knows that a CM is constantly leaking out any and all information they're given, yes, their job is in jeopardy. :P

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by DLResident
    OK, guys, I'm a Cast Member at the Disney Store, and I can tell you right now that California Screamin' will not be open this weekend. Most likely, the attraction will not be open until November. The attraction cannot operate until a final report has been released and Disney has made the changes required by DOSH. Disney must pass inspections before operations can resume. Heck, that's why Big Thunder Mountain Railroad took so long to reopen. DOSH didn't release their report until early March and Disney had to make their changes first and pass inspections.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the attraction is still closed until further notice.

But you never know, as they say information and operations are subject to change without notice.

It is my fervent hope that the process of ride accident/investigation/reporting/inspection is one that recognizes, among other things, the severity and the technical issues of the accident. The need for the former is obvious (saving lives, more serious lawsuits), the latter only slightly less obvious because of the potential complexities involved.

The accident on CS "may" have been caused by something as simple as a mechanical failure of one brake in particular ....... perhaps something in the brake wore out much sooner than anticipated due to a factory defect, or a design defect ..... in any event it "may" be an obvious fix that Disney could quickly address and get the ride reopened quickly.

The BT accident, however, was compounded by a number of factors that further complicated the issue. Maintenance was (allegedly) scaled back under the Pressler regime, there may have been some procedural operator error, etc. Not to mention that the BT accident was a fatal one ......

If in fact Disney has been appraised of "draft" versions of the report, they may be well on their way to having the parts, training maintenance staff, or whatever is needed to reopen the ride and begin testing .... and it may not take so long.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Heck, CM's know how to use phones and e-mail folks to some folks when they want info to get out to the General Public. By sending us e-mail, they get the buffer needed to protect their identity.

But I don't post all the info I get, I usually wait for confirmation from other folks and sources, and sometimes the info just should remain private.

But something like "Hey, Dave, they are starting to schedule shifts for Screamin'" would be worthy of posting on the boards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12