Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Disney's America?

Groover i was also going to point out that while some ideas were taken from the DA concept. They are not what make the bulk of the area. You still have the whole land of Hollywoodland. No to mention that the Pier we have is turn of the century 20th, there concept is 30th century which is not romanced but rather more carny. We have the whole addition of Carsland not mentioned, and Golden Dreams is not around anymore so what would have made DA work?

Pretty much your stating that DA would have been just a disaster as the first years of California Adventure (sorry read on another thread we have to stop calling it DCA :P) therefore it just proves that any concept derived regardless of the parks theme was doomed just like CA.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    Groover i was also going to point out that while some ideas were taken from the DA concept. They are not what make the bulk of the area. You still have the whole land of Hollywoodland. No to mention that the Pier we have is turn of the century 20th, there concept is 30th century which is not romanced but rather more carny. We have the whole addition of Carsland not mentioned, and Golden Dreams is not around anymore so what would have made DA work?

Pretty much your stating that DA would have been just a disaster as the first years of California Adventure (sorry read on another thread we have to stop calling it DCA :P) therefore it just proves that any concept derived regardless of the parks theme was doomed just like CA.
    Well actually, the California Adventure Concept would've worked but it was poorly executed by WDI.

Disney's America on the other hand is a concept that would entice historians and Civil War Reenactment groups.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Minion

^ Which make up the bulk of the American and international travellers?
    And the same park would have been built by the same WDI team no?

Hope I was helpful!

• Future Indy Castmember

And the same park would have been built by the same WDI team no?
    Heres the thing, before DCA there was supposed to be our version of Epcot that was known as Westcot. That was scrapped for some unknown reason and the WDI team then put their best on the concept board. At the same time, Disney's America was being planned.

The California Adventure concept seemed to be rushed as it already failed in the first few months alone. If they had more time to work on the DCA concept like they did with the Westcot and Disney America Concept then it would be a sucess and we would only expect the new Carsland and WOC.

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.

• Minion

^Granted. And unfortunately i never paid as much attention to disneyland back then as i do now.

However, im stating that Disney's America from what Groover was stating in showing the relation to California Adventure would have been the same disaster. Time, Money and Budget Cuts cant be speculated only seen when the product is finished. Who knows the same fate could have been for Westcot.

Im just stating that in a comparission of Disneys America and California Adventure i dont think DA would be more sucessful and the idea was scrapped not due to land issues...they had the land across from them. So in regards to the quote in Wiki the imagineers stated they scrapped the idea because of the combination of education and thrill rides.

Therefore, a historic park by Disney, i think would not have been very interesting. At least for CA you have a non historic theme, and i agree with more time and money they could have pulled it off and the 2012 additions would not be lifesavers thrown into the water.

So in a side by side comparission i would pick CA over DA.

Hope I was helpful!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Newsflash for you... the bulk don't goto DL either. The concept was putting Disney America right in the womb of American history. An area within easy driving distance of Washington DC (a huge attraction in it's own right), within spitting distance of many landmarks of our Civil War, and within driving distance of many of our Revolutionary War elements.

This audience already exists - Disney would have been tapping into it and expanding it.

Im just stating that in a comparission of Disneys America and California Adventure i dont think DA would be more sucessful and the idea was scrapped not due to land issues...they had the land across from them. So in regards to the quote in Wiki the imagineers stated they scrapped the idea because of the combination of education and thrill rides.
    It was scrapped due to 'land issues'. The area didn't want them! Many people feared what it would do to the rural VA area. A theme park on the scale of Disney can not be done simply as a 'by right' project. They need all kinds of special exceptions, infrastructure improvements, and they'd WANT the government to favor them so they can get the protections and controls they desire. They failed to win any of that support in VA so they cried uncle and moved on. They didn't get the government buy-in like they got in Florida and the project would have been an uphill battle. They fought it for awhile, and eventually gave up.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Newsflash for you... the bulk don't goto DL either. The concept was putting Disney America right in the womb of American history. An area within easy driving distance of Washington DC (a huge attraction in it's own right), within spitting distance of many landmarks of our Civil War, and within driving distance of many of our Revolutionary War elements.

This audience already exists - Disney would have been tapping into it and expanding it.
    That's exactly right.

The area didn't want them! Many people feared what it would do to the rural VA area. A theme park on the scale of Disney can not be done simply as a 'by right' project. They need all kinds of special exceptions, infrastructure improvements, and they'd WANT the government to favor them so they can get the protections and controls they desire. They failed to win any of that support in VA so they cried uncle and moved on. They didn't get the government buy-in like they got in Florida and the project would have been an uphill battle.
    Bingo. I remember following the story at the time, and hearing the buzz that the local perception of Disney's 'tude was similar to when Eisner was playing hardball with Anaheim & Long Beach. Disney's attitude was popularly perceived as "you give us what we want, in the amount we want, when and where we want it... and we'll grace you with our presence."

The response was as you might imagine.

They fought it for awhile, and eventually gave up.
    That's a polite way of putting it; another would be that they took their gold-plated marbles and left in a huff.

To the point of the OP, as much as I would have liked to have seen DA built as DLR's 2nd gate, I sadly don't think it would have had long term viability there, nor in Buena Park, no matter how well executed the concepts.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    To the point of the OP, as much as I would have liked to have seen DA built as DLR's 2nd gate, I sadly don't think it would have had long term viability there, nor in Buena Park, no matter how well executed the concepts.

Yeah your probably right, but we have to at least give Disney credit for trying, . In a way, I wished that DA would be just DLR's third gate, since the alternative was to acquire Knotts Berry Farm and convert it to DA since the Independence Hall replica is there and the majority of what Walter Knott brought to Buena Park would've been intergrated to the concept.

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

• Not-So-New Member

The whole educational/historical aspect of this park really bored me when I first read about it. Same goes for Epcot, so I'm kinda glad they didn't end up doing this. But of course, that's just me.

Isn't there concept art for this somewhere? I know I've seen it before, unless it was some other Knott's concept art...
    -Chris

This discussion reminds me of the original concept for DCA,WestCOT WestCOT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    which was supposed to be kind of like Epcot. idk why I thought of that....
    But anyways, I'm kind of glad that disney didn't build an American theme park. It's just that, I can't even sit through the hall of presidents, how would I sit through a whole theme park??

Oh how I love smiles!

• Animatronic

Disney is much better when they stick to history or classic literature. When they fail to ground their work in history, we end up with junk based on the hottest fad property they own. Do you really want a park with a Cheeta Girls Land or a Talking Cars Land? ... oops..
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• Minion

Re: Disney's America? HOPE NOT!

I was in the park on the 29th with my pal Tanko. We spent most of our time in DCA and even saw DEP. It was her first time seeing it and my first since the revamp. After the parade, she noted how "distinctly American" the To Honor America unit was. She went on to say it was the most elaborate float in the parade and granted it was the final float; it was borderline nationalistic. I went on to tell her about Disney’s initial plans to build “Disney’s America” and her jaw dropped.

This is one of those things that I’m glad never saw the light of day.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdo1221 View Post
    The whole educational/historical aspect of this park really bored me when I first read about it. Same goes for Epcot, so I'm kinda glad they didn't end up doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by caligirl09 View Post
    I'm kind of glad that disney didn't build an American theme park. It's just that, I can't even sit through the hall of presidents, how would I sit through a whole theme park??
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    This is one of those things that I’m glad never saw the light of day.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Aw Mr Wiggins why so glum? If it means anything I would've enjoyed Disney's America, I just think it would have received a lot of negative criticism. Which is why I'm glad it was never built.

• Gateway Fantasmic!

Ya. I think it would still be part of the resort. After all MK and AK are WAY far away!
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast