Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 74
  1. #1

    • Future Indy Castmember
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Torrance, California, United States
    Posts
    5,531

    Disney's America?

    I read about Disney's America, a project that failed to get a location twice. The first attempt was near Washington D.C., that was repelled by protestors. Then in 1997, the Knott family announced the plans to sell Knotts Berry Farm. Disney offered to buy the property which would've bring Disney's America to Buena Park. The ghost town and Independence Hall would've been kept with thr Roaring 20's, Fiesta Village and Camp Snoopy being converted into different lands. Out of fear that Disney would eliminate most of Walter Knott brought in to Knotts, it was sold to Cedar Fair, which ironically backfired because Cedar Fair eliminated more than what Disney would've eliminated. And this was just one of the reasons. The other was transportation problems.

    So lets say that Disney got Knotts:

    1.) Would Disney's America been more succesful than Disney's California Adventure?
    2.) Would the Chicken Dinners remain?
    3.) How would Disney solved the transportation problem, getting people from the Disneyland Resort to Disney's America?
    4.) Would Disney's America be considered the third theme park of the resort even though the property is 10 minutes away from DLR?



    Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011



    The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

  2. #2

    • Future Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    6,930

    Re: Disney's America?

    I had never heard of this before. =o Interesting, great post! I love the chicken dinners, my mom picked some up the other day, and also got some biscuits and apple pie. My cats dropped the apple pie and then my dog ate it yesterday morning, so I was just sulking about not getting to eat apple pie when i saw this. :P anyways, back on topic, I wonder if disney wouldve even made DCA if they bought Knott's in 1997?

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    112

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    552

    Re: Disney's America?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    I read about Disney's America, a project that failed to get a location twice. The first attempt was near Washington D.C., that was repelled by protestors. Then in 1997, the Knott family announced the plans to sell Knotts Berry Farm. Disney offered to buy the property which would've bring Disney's America to Buena Park. The ghost town and Independence Hall would've been kept with thr Roaring 20's, Fiesta Village and Camp Snoopy being converted into different lands. Out of fear that Disney would eliminate most of Walter Knott brought in to Knotts, it was sold to Cedar Fair, which ironically backfired because Cedar Fair eliminated more than what Disney would've eliminated. And this was just one of the reasons. The other was transportation problems.

    So lets say that Disney got Knotts:

    1.) Would Disney's America been more succesful than Disney's California Adventure?
    2.) Would the Chicken Dinners remain?
    3.) How would Disney solved the transportation problem, getting people from the Disneyland Resort to Disney's America?
    4.) Would Disney's America be considered the third theme park of the resort even though the property is 10 minutes away from DLR?

    Nice post. Disney's America was a great idea but was shot down because of all the political and cultural fighting going on in Virginia.

    I am not sure if DA would have been more successful than DCA is.

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    132

    Re: Disney's America?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    I read about Disney's America, a project that failed to get a location twice. The first attempt was near Washington D.C., that was repelled by protestors.
    Sooo... Disney built a park about California in California, and wanted to build a historic theme park in a state that already has many, many actual historic parks.

    Is the Disney corporate culture so repressive that no one will point out the obvious?

  6. #6

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Disney's America?

    Another option would have been to build this in the parking lot INSTEAD of DCA.

    And didn't they consider this theme as a re- do for DCA before deciding to go the character route with Mermaid, Cars etc.?

  7. #7

    • Future Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    6,930

    Re: Disney's America?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Another option would have been to build this in the parking lot INSTEAD of DCA.

    And didn't they consider this theme as a re- do for DCA before deciding to go the character route with Mermaid, Cars etc.?
    Are the imagineers new from the ones in 1997, around the time they had ideas for disneys america? Maybe they didnt even consider this idea. Or maybe they just had moved on from that idea. Maybe they thought it wasnt any better than the original DCA.

  8. #8

    • Big red truck
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    12

    Re: Disney's America?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ46 View Post
    Is the Disney corporate culture so repressive that no one will point out the obvious?
    Back in the 90's Disney corporate was.. "out there"

    Different management now that Eisner is gone...

  9. #9

    • Future Indy Castmember
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Torrance, California, United States
    Posts
    5,531

    Re: Disney's America?

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
    Nice post. Disney's America was a great idea but was shot down because of all the political and cultural fighting going on in Virginia.

    I am not sure if DA would have been more successful than DCA is.
    At least DA would've had better themeing than DCA had back in 2001 and would probably had better sucess than DCA.



    Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011



    The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

  10. #10

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    38

    Re: Disney's America?

    Quote Originally Posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
    Are the imagineers new from the ones in 1997, around the time they had ideas for disneys america? Maybe they didnt even consider this idea. Or maybe they just had moved on from that idea. Maybe they thought it wasnt any better than the original DCA.
    The Imagineer who came up with the concept and designed what would have been Disney's America, Bob Weiss, left Imagineering under the Eisner regime to start his own Theme Park design company. However, once Iger took over and made Lasseter Head Creative in Imagineering, Lasseter personally invited him to come back to Imagineering. Now he is overseeing all of the DCA refurb. So yes I would assume that he may have considered Disney's America before deciding on the Character route, but obviously they must feel that this is the best route to take.

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: Disney's America?

    IMHO...sounds boring kids dont want to go to a park about the history of America and who wants to learn on vacation especially kids. Even the Imagineers said they scrapped it because they were trying to mix history lessons with thrill rides. DA would have taken the same critizicsm as DCA if it was right across the street too. It would have been built on the same budget and reading about the different lands to many of them to have a solid attraction in each.

    Glad they did DCA.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

    Hope I was helpful!

  12. #12

    • Imagineer in training
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    7.9 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth!
    Posts
    58

    Re: Disney's America?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    IMHO...sounds boring kids dont want to go to a park about the history of America and who wants to learn on vacation especially kids. Even the Imagineers said they scrapped it because they were trying to mix history lessons with thrill rides. DA would have taken the same critizicsm as DCA if it was right across the street too. It would have been built on the same budget and reading about the different lands to many of them to have a solid attraction in each.

    Glad they did DCA.
    Have you read the Wiki? There are MANY ideas borrowed from Disney's America...
    The plans for Disney's America called for nine distinctly themed areas:

    • Crossroads USA - A civil war era village that would serve as the hub of Disney's America. Guests would enter under an 1840s era train trestle, which featured antique steam trains that circled the park.


    • Native America - A recreation of a Native American village that would have reflected the tribes that were known in that part of the country. Guests would have also enjoyed interactive experiences, exhibits and arts and crafts, as well as a white water river raft ride (Grizzly River Rapids)that travelled throughout the area, based on the Lewis and Clark Expedition.


    • Civil War Fort - A Civil War fort (read: playground, like Wilderness Creek Challenge Trail...) would have plunged guests into a more turbulent time of American history, and adjacent to it, a replica battlefield where Civil War re-enactments and water battles between the Monitor and the Merrimac would have once again been fought.


    • We The People - Moving into the 20th century, a replica of the Ellis Island building, which acted as the gateway to America for many immigrants in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Guests would have lived the "immigrant experience" through music, ethnic foods and a live show presentation. (Golden Dreams?)


    • State Fair - An area that was going to show how even during the Great Depression in the 1930s, Americans knew how to entertain themselves. With folk art exhibits and a live show on baseball, guests could also have enjoyed classic wooden thrill rides reminiscent of Coney Island. (Paradise Pier is screaming at you!)


    • Family Farm - A recreation of an authentic farm where guests could have had the opportunity to see different types of farm industries related to food production in addition to some hands-on experiences like milking cows and learning what homemade ice cream tasted like. (Bountiful Farms anyone?)


    • President's Square - A celebration of the birth of democracy and those who fought to preserve it. The Hall of Presidents from Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World would have been moved to this section of Disney's America.


    • Enterprise - A mock factory town, it would have highlighted American ingenuity where guests could have ridden a major roller coaster attraction called the "Industrial Revolution", traveling through a 19th century landscape with heavy industry and blast furnaces. And, on either side of the coaster would have been exhibits of famous American technology that defined the American industry in the past, and new developments that would have defined industries in the future. (Sounds a bit like the Wharf to me, minus the coaster...)


    • Victory Field - Guests would have experienced what America's soldiers faced in the defense of freedom during the world wars. It would have been themed to resemble an air field with a series of hangars containing attractions based on America's military fight using virtual reality technology(!!!). The air field would have also served as an exhibit area of planes from different periods, as well as a place for major flying exhibitions. Soarin' from Epcot and Disney's California Adventure was originally proposed for this area. (Condor Flats?)
    I want to be an Imagineer....

  13. #13

    • Future Indy Castmember
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Torrance, California, United States
    Posts
    5,531

    Re: Disney's America?

    Wow, they way they put in those ideas into DCA is like putting in a ride with a different theme like they did with the Dinosaur attraction in DAK with IJA's ride system.

    So Disney's America was in someways similar to what happened to DisneySea that was supposed to be built in Long Beach, but unlike DA, it found it's way to TDL.



    Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011



    The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

  14. #14

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: Disney's America?

    Im not talking about the lands im talking about the concept. I just think a historic park would not be very interesting even if disney had done it.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

    Hope I was helpful!

  15. #15

    • Future Indy Castmember
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Torrance, California, United States
    Posts
    5,531

    Re: Disney's America?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    Im not talking about the lands im talking about the concept. I just think a historic park would not be very interesting even if disney had done it.
    Thats what I think about DCA. The concept of the park is not very intersting but now they are improving it.



    Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011



    The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney's America (the park)
    By WDWImagineer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 05:22 AM
  2. Disney's America
    By imagineerthat in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
  3. DCA and Disney's America
    By jimmay in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 05:05 PM
  4. Walt Disney's America
    By nsxdrift_89 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 10:22 PM
  5. Disney's America
    By DoppelV in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 09:06 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •