Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Question Make Clothes and items people want?

Why does Disney not listen to fans and make more products the fana and normal Disney goers want?
    I mean no Dragon T-shirt, Or other fantasmic items. More Splash Mountain and Indy Merchandise.
    I mean why does Disney make other things like uncreative spiggin light toys and other boring items when they could make wonderful items with great characters and classic attractions.

• Future Cast Member

Re: Make Clothes and items people want?

I wish they did have more actual disneyland things, like classic attractions. I love the collectible figurine set they have now, with characters from classic attractions. I hope they come out with more attraction-based merchandise.

• in the Golden Afternoon

Well they are coming out with the classic attraction posters as t shirts. I know they already had the Skyway, The Haunted Mansion, and something else but I dont remember what it was. But I definitely agree they need more classic stuff.

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeWantsTheRedhead View Post
    Well they are coming out with the classic attraction posters as t shirts. I know they already had the Skyway, The Haunted Mansion, and something else but I dont remember what it was. But I definitely agree they need more classic stuff.
    Oh yeah, I've seen stuff like that in the jungle cruise/tiki room area. I also like the retro disneyland stuff. I think they're starting to come out with more classic stuff, little by little

Given the fact that the majority of guests at the parks always seem to have one or more bags of merchandise, it appears that they are making clothes and items people want. I can understand for some APs and hard core Disney fans who already have one of everything there is not enough variety, but it appears that they are more than satisfyting the needs of the average park goer.

• when you wish...

What I don't understand is why this merchandise is at the Magic Kingdom, but it's not at Disneyland. We are all all aware of how Disney sells merchandise that appears at Disneyland and WDW, so what's the problem???

For example, the Magic Kingdom had Brer Bear and Brer Rabbit bobble heads, Splash Mountain t-shirts, Space Mountain t-shirts, yeti merchandise (this really makes no sense, since the yeti in EE is brown and the one in the Matterhorn is white).

Don't understand
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here." --Art Linkletter, July 17, 2005

• hi!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Why does Disney not listen to fans and make more products the fana and normal Disney goers want?
    I mean no Dragon T-shirt, Or other fantasmic items. More Splash Mountain and Indy Merchandise.
    i'd actually rather have a Fantasmic! shirt over a Splash Mountain or Indiana Jones shirt.. and why do you have the ability to define what a "normal" Disney-goer is?
    -plagued

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Yeah, I wish they had more Donald Duck stuff...(especially considering he is 75 this year!)

Oh, and where is Maleficent!? (Or just Disney Villains in general?)

(Woot! 500 posts!)

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

• Collision speed....FULL!

I want to see them do stuff like this:

Park Gear : Cryogenically Frozen

clever quotes that only a fan or visitor might get.

• Mickey is not my Brother

I agree they need more Oswald merchandise, and why not make Disney brand jeans or something I mean they have a bunch of shirts lol. They could monopolize that area lol.

• A Weather Eye Open

Making more land and ride specific merch would encourage more buying from locals and tourists alike, I think! If there was more Frontierland themed merch found in the stores in Frontierland, a person might encounter a Big Thunder shirt and say, "Hey! I love this ride!" and buy the shirt as a souvineir. And then in Tomorroland they buy their kid a light up Astro Blasters gun, because that's the only place they've seen it so far. And then they find a Peter Pan tote bag in the stands and shops near Fantasyland! Having a bigger variety and having them isolated throughout the park will make people go into more stores to find out "what's in this store?" instead of assuming they're all the same. You could even do this with the pin stores, having only POTC and HM and other New Orleans related pins in NOS, etc, because who's more ready for a treasure hunt than a pin Collector?
    People love to shop and look at merchendise, so if each store seems new and different when you walk in to browse, they'll go into more stores more often and spend more time doing some real shopping. It's much better for both the parks and the visitor! Think about how it usually works now: the visitor assumes that all the stores carry the same merch because they see the same Goofy hats in Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Critter Country, so they wait until the end of the day and get a semi-generic sweatshirt with Mickey on it... which they of course like, but they may have bought more had they seen a high variety of items in themes that reflect the fun stuff they did that day, and may feel like their sovineirs are more personal.

I know this means smaller batches of merchandise, higher production costs, as well as more design costs. However, there are many talented product designers (or designers of any kind) who are currently looking for work, I'm sure, and who would jump at the chance and work for fairly cheap. It would certainly bring merch quality up at the park.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

I always see some shirt or something that I'd wanna buy, the problem is I never have enough money to get all the things I want! I mean, there are retro t-shirts they have of the rides and stuff, and of course there are all the figurines and models and posters I would love to get and put all over my house!
    I'm just waiting for the day, hopefully not too soon from now, when I am able to go to Disneyland with like a few grand spending money so I can just go and buy all the posters and figurines I want.

So for me, sure having more shirts or jackets not just meant for children would be nice... but as of right now, I can't even get all the things I want form their current supply!

One thing I think they should start making and selling, is to scale models of the park. Like.. They could make it a collector's kinda thing. Over a period of a few years, come out with some limited edition models of all the different lands, or parts of each land that would fit together. So you could get the entrance plaza model, then the actual main street model, and then the central plaza model which would all connect together and connect to the other lands too. Eventually creating a big scale model of Disneyland! They could even make the train tracks work to send around a miniature DLRR.

Maybe that seems like a bit much.. maybe not. But I know I'd love to have a big model like that, down in the basement or something, just me by myself, obsessing over it, watching the train go around, making voices for the conductor announcements to myself as the train goes around the park, slowly going mad with my Disneyland obsession....
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    I always see some shirt or something that I'd wanna buy, the problem is I never have enough money to get all the things I want! I mean, there are retro t-shirts they have of the rides and stuff, and of course there are all the figurines and models and posters I would love to get and put all over my house!
    I'm just waiting for the day, hopefully not too soon from now, when I am able to go to Disneyland with like a few grand spending money so I can just go and buy all the posters and figurines I want.

So for me, sure having more shirts or jackets not just meant for children would be nice... but as of right now, I can't even get all the things I want form their current supply!

One thing I think they should start making and selling, is to scale models of the park. Like.. They could make it a collector's kinda thing. Over a period of a few years, come out with some limited edition models of all the different lands, or parts of each land that would fit together. So you could get the entrance plaza model, then the actual main street model, and then the central plaza model which would all connect together and connect to the other lands too. Eventually creating a big scale model of Disneyland! They could even make the train tracks work to send around a miniature DLRR.

Maybe that seems like a bit much.. maybe not. But I know I'd love to have a big model like that, down in the basement or something, just me by myself, obsessing over it, watching the train go around, making voices for the conductor announcements to myself as the train goes around the park, slowly going mad with my Disneyland obsession....
    I believe they have some collector's models of certain attractions and lands. I am not sure that they fit together, or that they're to scale (how could they be if they didn't want to include the backstage areas, of course).
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

I wish they would carry larger sizes at the parks for us more errr.. Curvy girls. I wanted a Tshirt, but I couldn't find one to fit me.... To bad, so sad, for me...

• Faerie Godmother

I completely agree that most of the merchandise available at the parks is too generic. Thank Paul Pressler, who decided to turn Disneyland into a giant Disney Store instead of keeping it as its own unique experience. Immediately recognizable, park-specific merchandise exists, of course, but it's almost all expensive "collector's items," out of the reach of the average guest's wallet.

Some items I have bought because they were awesome, affordable souvenirs of Disneyland:

* A set of plastic figurines of Disney theme park characters, such as Ezra the Hitchhiking Ghost and the Matterhorn's Yeti.
    * A set of plastic figurines of "Sorcerer Mickey vs. the Disney Villains"--in other words, the cast of Fantasmic!
    * A little figure of Mickey Mouse dressed as Indiana Jones.
    * Die-cast ride vehicles (before they were discontinued).
    * Beanies of the Fab Five dressed in the land costumes for the 50th Anniversary.

Some items I would definitely buy if they were available and affordable:

* A mantle clock made to look like the IASW clock tower, especially if you could push a button to make it run the doll parade.
    * A tea set with cups and saucers designed after the Mad Tea Party.
    * Disneyland-themed LEGO sets. (Seriously, why hasn't this happened yet?)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast