• Disneyland History Lover

Annual Pass Renewel question

So the new Disneyland prices are out as I'm sure most have seen by now:

Single ticket adult: $72 (from $69)
    Single park child, ages 3 to 9: $62 (from $59)
    Premium annual pass: $429 (from $389)
    Deluxe annual pass: $289 (from $269)
    Southern California annual pass: $194 (from $174)
    Southern California Select annual pass: $144 (from $134)

I read recently in a thread I can't recall the name of that annual passmembers can get the same price they paid the previous year even if the prices for those passes go up if they take their renewal letter to the park when they renew their passes before or on the date that the passes expire. As me and my boyfriend have the premiums, saving the extra money would definitely be a plus. Does anyone know if this is true? If we take our renewal letters from Disneyland on the last day our annual pass is good can we in fact renew at the old prices versus the new prices that just took affect?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Princess Victoria; 08-02-2009 at 05:03 PM.

• Mortals pay a token fee.

Re: Annual Pass Renewel question

According to Darkbeer, Yes! As long as you bring in your renewal letter, yes, you will get the old price. I would strongly recommend sending it in the mail though, you get that additional $20 discount!

• Sock Puppet

Darkbeer or not, the renewal offer is good until it expires. Always has been...

So yes, you can RENEW at the original renewal offer as long as you do it BEFORE the expiration date.

The price increase is not connected to the mail-in renewal offer and does not affect it.

Enjoy!

How do you do this mail renewal? Do they mail you something around the time your pass is going to expire?

• Not a Minion

When your pass is nearing expiration (i recall it being about a month and a half before expiration), you should receive a letter. Your renewal prices that you can take advantage of will be based on what is said on that letter, so if your letter has the old prices, good. If it has the new prices, then too bad. Also, you need to renew BEFORE your renewal offer is up.

If you've already passed your renewal date, and are looking to get a Deluxe AP, I would suggest stopping by a Southern California Costco (membership required) and picking up a Deluxe AP voucher there for the old price of $269. You have until october 31 to redeem it. On top of all that, you also get a $50 gift card, leaving you with a total savings of $70 if you had to buy the pass in the park today.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    When your pass is nearing expiration (i recall it being about a month and a half before expiration), you should receive a letter. Your renewal prices that you can take advantage of will be based on what is said on that letter, so if your letter has the old prices, good. If it has the new prices, then too bad. Also, you need to renew BEFORE your renewal offer is up.

If you've already passed your renewal date, and are looking to get a Deluxe AP, I would suggest stopping by a Southern California Costco (membership required) and picking up a Deluxe AP voucher there for the old price of $269. You have until october 31 to redeem it. On top of all that, you also get a $50 gift card, leaving you with a total savings of $70 if you had to buy the pass in the park today.
    I bought mine from Costco on saturday, and just saw today about the prices being raised... I actually feel really relieved to see your post, because I was worrying over whether or not I was going to be charged an extra $20 when I got to Disneyland to activate my pass.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

So I take it that if I renew before this year's pass expires, the new one will take effect on the day after, correct? We got our passes on New Years Eve last year and from what our info says they will expire on New Years Eve on this year. So what I'm asking is if the renewals begin on the 1st of January? I'm fairly sure that's how it is but I just want to make sure.

• Mortals pay a token fee.

If your pass expires on New Years Eve, you definitely have not yet received your renewal letter, so you'll be paying the new prices unfortunately. Also, if your pass expires on 12/31/09 and you renew, your pass will expire on 12/31/10.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
    If your pass expires on New Years Eve, you definitely have not yet received your renewal letter, so you'll be paying the new prices unfortunately. Also, if your pass expires on 12/31/09 and you renew, your pass will expire on 12/31/10.
    Ah, I see. So I have to actually receive the renewal letter before the price increase to renew at the old prices. I see. Oh well, can't win them all. I suppose it wouldn't make sense for me to renew on the last day my current pass is good for, right?

And when I do renew, will I need to make the $72 down payment? I'd imagine that's the case just since it's the beginning of a new year of payments.

• soul reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Ah, I see. So I have to actually receive the renewal letter before the price increase to renew at the old prices. I see. Oh well, can't win them all. I suppose it wouldn't make sense for me to renew on the last day my current pass is good for, right?

And when I do renew, will I need to make the $72 down payment? I'd imagine that's the case just since it's the beginning of a new year of payments.
    I believe if you are renewing a pass, instead of charging you the down payment again, you just pay a slightly higher monthly cost to equal the total price over 12 payments.

FWIW....

We upgraded to Deluxe APs the day before the prices rose in September of '07.

Then the prices went up again in August of '08.

So by the time we were able to renew in '08, there had been TWO price raises! And our renewal price would have been the same price that we paid that day in Sept '07.

We opted to not renew, as we had no trips planned at all, but then DLR came out with that online-only, special-link, AP price that was so awesome ($30 off the AP price last Fall!), and it was cheaper than the renewal would have been. Sure do hope they do something like that again! (but I doubt it)

Quote Originally Posted by sekwence View Post
    I believe if you are renewing a pass, instead of charging you the down payment again, you just pay a slightly higher monthly cost to equal the total price over 12 payments.
    Meh. I think I'd rather pay the $72 down if possible and then just pay the lower montly rates.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitfeet View Post
    FWIW....

We upgraded to Deluxe APs the day before the prices rose in September of '07.

Then the prices went up again in August of '08.

So by the time we were able to renew in '08, there had been TWO price raises! And our renewal price would have been the same price that we paid that day in Sept '07.

We opted to not renew, as we had no trips planned at all, but then DLR came out with that online-only, special-link, AP price that was so awesome ($30 off the AP price last Fall!), and it was cheaper than the renewal would have been. Sure do hope they do something like that again! (but I doubt it)
    Okay... so even though there were two price increases during that time you still could have gotten the passes for what you'd paid two years ago? How does that work? I'm just a little confused since I'd read previously you can only do that if the renewal notice itself is sent to you before the price increase.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    I would suggest stopping by a Southern California Costco (membership required) and picking up a Deluxe AP voucher there for the old price of $269. You have until october 31 to redeem it. On top of all that, you also get a $50 gift card, leaving you with a total savings of $70 if you had to buy the pass in the park today.
    And an Arizona resident (who is a Costco memeber) would be able to purchase a Deluxe AP voucher from a SoCal Costco store?