Disneyland only thinking about the short term at the long terms expense

All these short-sided financial decisions being made by super high payed executives with no seriously vested long term interest in Disneyland (decisions such as removing multitudes of characters, performances, embroidery up charges etc.) are short-sided attempts to attempt to increase the quarterly profit margin. That is the problem with "publicly" traded companies. Its only about the quarterly earnings. Since most of the high ups wont be around forever they just care about the short term at the unfortunate expense of the future.

If we made a list of special "little things" and "Bigger things" that have been removed from the park or changed in a way that was not for the better and then compared it to a list of positive changes we will see that the negatives FAR outweigh the positive show changes. This removal of the embroidery being included in a premium cost hat purchase is another sledge hammer into the wall of Magic at Disneyland.

For a out of town tourist who is now spending $72 dollars a day for the single park and then spending tons of additional fees on everything including water since it is very hard to find a decent water fountain for the casual guest you better believe when they go home and speak of Disneyland the first thing that will come to mind will be the prices and feeling of being overcharged and gouged for everything instead of first speaking of the magic. Enough is enough. This is short sided and is just plain stupid.

• Minion

Re: Disneyland only thinking about the short term at the long terms expense

The prices are ridiculous even for a domestic family of four from out of town. And my fear is when CA gets better with WOC and everything its just going to skyrocket the prices! It will get to the point where a four day park hopper at WDW will be cheaper then a three day park hopper at DLR!

However, i always found that bringing a backpack with water bottles and fruit snacks and other snacks made the food cost go down. The only problem is lugging around the backpack!
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Im Monsters Incorporated!

i completely agree, Disneyland is squeezing their guest for all they can get where as Walt wanted his people to leave with some money in their pockets. the new prices on tickets and embroidered hats decrease the magic.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by MostExalted View Post
    the new prices on tickets and embroidered hats decrease the magic.

Well, if enough guests vote with their dollars and stop buying that stuff, then Disney will take notice.

But that probably won't happen. And Disney knows that...

• Disney & Anime Fan

Well the problem is tourists spend money, local don't.

When I go to Disney as a tourist I expect to spend money on food and souvenirs. 3 meals x 5 people x 5 days= $1000, souvenirs for 5 people around $500, why because I only go to Disney once every 5 years now. But I love every moment and expect prices to go up for tickets, for our current trip we are paying $189 or so about $20 a day, and is way below the $72 a day. Makes you wonder just how many single day $72 tickets actually sell? Most vacationers expect to spend at least 3 days to see everything.

When I went to Disney in the late 90's to early 2000, I can to Disney with a Deluxe passport, I think it was $129? more or less, and went 3 to 4 weekends of the month all year, and was smart enough to get a hotel with breakfast that was walking distance but cheap, and usually would buy only 1 meal a day, less than $10, and maybe once every 2-3 months a souvenir just because it was something unique.

so when Disney started rising annual passports, adding Socal passports (which I didn't ever qualify for), I thought it was good for locals but bad for attendence, but hey I couldn't complain because I too was a AP holder, and the amount of days I would spend in the park a year was way cheaper, even at $129, $199, $229, and up. (During AP holding I lived in Washington State, so SoCal was never an option).

So as long as there is tourists from out of town who has their one vacation every so many years, prices will increase, and I understand.

What I can't understand is the price for drinks? $2.69 for a soda, that outside is 1/2 to 1/4 the price? That ticks me off.

As for paying for hat embroidery, well that will mostly be paid by out of town tourists, locals will normally already have a hat. Unless its for a special occasion. So let the tourists pay or not.

When was the last time you paid for a single day ticket?

And as for the increase in AP's, if you get the highet at $429, its still only over $1.19 a day if you went 363 days a year. So that's cheap.

The issue is not specifically the gate price. While I do wholeheartedly believe the annual pass system is seriously broken and needs to be dismantled or severely increased in price. If prices were increased while entertainment offerings etc also increased that would be understandable. But for prices to rise while throngs of characters are laid off and in park entertainment offerings and live music severely curtailed. That is where I begin to have a huge problem. Bottom line in my opinion is that short sided decisions are continuing to be made that are threatening the park as we know it's future.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

16,000,000/5 = 3,200,000.

3,800,000,000/72 = 52,778,000

3,800,000,000/n = 3,200,000.

n = ?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Bottom line in my opinion is that short sided decisions are continuing to be made that are threatening the park as we know it's future.
    Threatening the future of the Park as we knew it, yes. Threatening the longterm future of DLR as a money-making machine for Disney to market its branded products, no.

For the last decade, Disney has proved that if they brand it with Disney or Pixar characters, people will flock to buy it no matter the price. From Disneyland tickets to $12 Mickey Mouse balloons, people will come to buy -- so many people that there won't be room to move!

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Threatening the future of the Park as we knew it, yes. Threatening the longterm future of DLR as a money-making machine for Disney to market its branded products, no.

For the last decade, Disney has proved that if they brand it with Disney or Pixar characters, people will flock to buy it no matter the price. From Disneyland tickets to $12 Mickey Mouse balloons, people will come to buy -- so many people that there won't be room to move!

True, the pay to shop annual membership mall will be there for a while.
    But the magical place we knew as the Happiest place on earth will have been long gone. Dismantled piece by piece. Short term thinking destroying long term profitability by eroding the magic and making something special turn into something just standard. This will affect the future customers which will cause long term loss in profitability in my opinion.

• Seeker of Fun

Red Face Re: Disneyland only thinking about the short term at the long terms expense

My deepest fear is....fear..of the unknown. Right now, as it stands, a Disney vacation is very expensive for my family. Just like it is for everybody else. My fear is that the "magic" of the park will someday lose it's luster. That's my worry to be brutally honest. If it becomes strictly about money, with executives needling every guest for every penny they have.....However, I know it does cost money (a lot) to run the park. I recently took my family to Six Flags in Vallejo, and while we enjoyed some of the shows and rides...it felt..well, like nothing. There was no magic, or familiarity. We had a nice day, but it simply did not have that magic. So, I think it's a careful balancing act. While I hate the idea of spending more money, my main concern is that Disneyland will become too expensive and feel like Six Flags did during our visit there. I need the magic!!!!

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeMomLeika View Post
    . . . What I can't understand is the price for drinks? $2.69 for a soda, that outside is 1/2 to 1/4 the price? That ticks me off. . . .
    I didn't see sodas for under $4 at Knott's.

I haven't shared this with anyone till now, but I thought that the adult prices at the BBQ formerly known as "Celebration" have been a tad steep.

But at the risk of being hated--especially after Monday's increases--I still think the APs are a great value for those of us who can go over ten times a year. If I ran Disneyland, I would raise the PAPs at least another $40 again next year to discourage people from making the most crowded days even more miserable.

Many of us APs have learned how to still have great times on crowded days, but to increase long-term satisfaction, even out the crowds, and increase long-term park income (warning: idea repeat!), I'd have three different prices for daily admission, with the 20 or so most crowded days having premium pricing as hotels do. And they could give breaks--value pricing--to those who go on Mon-Th in Sept & Oct.

CAspace, I agree 100% that some Disney executives--including Jay R. & Bob I. (and certainly Michael E. {post Frank W.} and Paul P. before them) should have thought long-term even more often than they have.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-03-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Shoddy grammar