Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

• Just splashing around...

How can they justify the price increases now?

I saw a news ticker on a local TV channel that mentioned the ticket price increases and a statement from Disney saying "The price increase reflects the value the guests receive in the parks" (or something to that effect). Lies and fairytales. Of course they're going to put that spin on it, but let's examine this "increased value" that today's park guest will receive:

A down-sized parade on Main Street
    A closed Opera House
    A broken Fantasmic
    An empty People Mover track (though this isn't news)
    And empty Motor Boat curise lagoon (again, not news)
    A boarded-up DCA that makes the park even less navigable, especially during parade times.
    An empty lagoon
    A bulldozed Golden Dreams and Orange Stinger
    And several main attractions slated for extended closures, either for maintenance or holiday overlays.

I realize some of these "negatives" will eventually become a huge "positive" like the Mermaid overtaking the yawn-inducing Golden Dreams, but for now, it is a closed attraction offering a one-day visitor nothing where once there was something.

So where is the increased value? All I can come up with is:

A new float in the Electrical Parade
    Some fancy new lighting at Pixie Hollow
    A flying Dumbo (alright, I do love this and even got a little choked up watching it, but it doesn't justify a price increase).

I guess we're paying in advance for the new DCA, but it doesn't seem right to me.

• Seasick

Re: How can they justify the price increases now?

Even the one-day park hopper is well worth the price they charge. I can't think of a better value quite frankly, considering the amount of attractions one has access to for that price.

Compared to concerts, sporting events, movies, etc. Disney is worth the price, imo.

Yes, the quality may not be what it once was, but it's still an excellent value.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

The cost of living has been going up for everyone during this downturn. Disney still has to pay workers, electricity, water etc, etc.

I hate the move and I'm disappointed but they are justified because they still have expenses to meet whether they build a new e-ticket attraction or not.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ltlmrm8 View Post
    I saw a news ticker on a local TV channel that mentioned the ticket price increases and a statement from Disney saying "The price increase reflects the value the guests receive in the parks" (or something to that effect). Lies and fairytales. Of course they're going to put that spin on it, but let's examine this "increased value" that today's park guest will receive:

A closed Opera House
    A broken Fantasmic
    A boarded-up DCA that makes the park even less navigable, especially during parade times.
    An empty lagoon
    And several main attractions slated for extended closures, either for maintenance or holiday overlays.

I realize some of these "negatives" will eventually become a huge "positive" like the Mermaid overtaking the yawn-inducing Golden Dreams, but for now, it is a closed attraction offering a one-day visitor nothing where once there was something.

So where is the increased value? All I can come up with is:

A flying Dumbo (alright, I do love this and even got a little choked up watching it, but it doesn't justify a price increase).

I guess we're paying in advance for the new DCA, but it doesn't seem right to me.
    Meh. Demand. That's all it is.

When people stop coming, then there might be some positive changes. This won't happen as long as the average entry cost stays low, regardless of the published ticket prices.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I read the news today...

Quote Originally Posted by ltlmrm8 View Post

A closed Opera House
    A broken Fantasmic
    An empty lagoon

There's many of the reasons for the price increase. Every single project listed costs $$$. I guess you could say that's their "justification", although it's more like a need for money to complete those projects.
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Even the one-day park hopper is well worth the price they charge. I can't think of a better value quite frankly, considering the amount of attractions one has access to for that price.

Compared to concerts, sporting events, movies, etc. Disney is worth the price, imo.

Yes, the quality may not be what it once was, but it's still an excellent value.
    No, it's not. Sitting at home doing nothing, when you don't have money to spend, is better, financially. IMO.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Sock Puppet

It costs money to run a business and turn a profit. Despite the feelings of a few folks, Disney is a for-profit company.

As long as the guests keep going, they'll keep raising the prices.

Why shouldn't they???

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Sitting at home doing nothing, when you don't have money to spend, is better, financially. IMO.

Hence the finance plan for the AP's.

Get the folks that don't have the full amount for an AP up front to finance it and voila!

They instantly have folks that shouldn't be spending money (because they don't have it) inside the Park doing just that...

• waitin' to board

Laffite's Landing.............yea I wish...currently about 700 miles away unfortunately.

..as much as I dislike price increases that squeeze people, I'll still pay the money to go.

• Sock Puppet

Most people have said on similar threads that Disney is a FOR-PROFIT company and thus this automatically justifies them ripping people off. I'm pretty sure nearly ALL businesses that go up are for-profit, unless it is a charity, so I don't know how that justifies anything. Saying that they want profit is like saying 2+2=4. Which company doesn't want to make profits? But I still don't see the justification in increasing everything so much. Like stated before though, Disney will continue increasing as long as people keep going. I admit I go every week twice a week when I can, but by now I am doing it for free as I have gone enough times to have paid off my parking pass and AP and then some. I never buy anything there and I take my own food. Most people don't realize how relaxed Disney is with poeple bringing their own food. In fact, I before this year I thought outside food was prohibited until I saw a family bring in a bucket of KFC chicken. From that day forward I just pack some PB & J and every now and then get a cream cheese filled pretzel (which I admit I love). Disney is just being greedy, nothing more.
    Last edited by matterhornlove31; 08-03-2009 at 09:57 AM.

• "I Break Things"

Why are they required to justify a price? They are a business... they want to charge more for their product... they do. There really isn't a gray area here. People will either pay the higher price, or not go. I agree it is bad timing and I question if it is profit motivated or an attempt to diminish crowds... but there is no need for justification. Disney is for profit and it is a business decision.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

because they can, and people will still pay it.

econ 101; supply vs. demand.
    Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    Hence the finance plan for the AP's.

Get the folks that don't have the full amount for an AP up front to finance it and voila!

They instantly have folks that shouldn't be spending money (because they don't have it) inside the Park doing just that...

Yup. And many of those folks aren't affected by this rate increase. Not right now.

• Dream'n w/Blue Sky

What do we get for the price increase? I'm surprised that people even think that way.

The magic is there at Disneyland, why do people have to try and put a price to it?

If you don't like the price increase, don't go! I would love to have the park with less people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Disney & Anime Fan

Another Thread that popped up:

disneyland only thinking about short term long terms expense

my response is there but the short, AP prices divided over the amount of days of usability is still cheaper than paying for single day tickets.

Besides who would use a single day ticket anyways with hopper passes or AP's?

And money for renovations have to come from somewhere, food prices are high, souvenirs are high. So ticket prices have to go up, at least its once a year. And costs of doing business is not going down, it always goes up. I wonder what does Disney pay for property taxes? As they upgrade you got to think the Cali Govt. keeps up with improvements-ie up in property taxes.

Just a thought.

I am currently a tourist but in the past I have been a Deluxe AP holder for 4 years while I was in Cali for business 3 to 4 weekends a month for 4 years.

So if I could I would live locally and have a Socal pass, but as a tourist who only visits every 5 yrs or so, hike in prices are expected and just added to my vacation budget.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast