Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    I like what I see here:

I think it's trying to show that the food area will be rethemed which would help change the theme. Also, it looks as though there's more in there. idk what but...
    I agree though, it looks good

Oh how I love smiles!

From what i've heard it's just gonna be a costume color change and the loss of a few elements like the plane outside taste pilots and the jet engines. and they will be more like forrest service bush pilots than experiamental test pilots. it will also lose the desert theme.

Does anyone know when this phase will begin or even be complete?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

There is no need to change the theme of Condor Flats. The desert area is so minimal, it's barely noticable. most of it's just a runway. Plus I really like the transition from a runway to a "National Park" area. They don't need to waste the money in Condor Flats. Use that extra money to make Hollywood Studios Backlot better, OR in eliminating more tacky from Paradise Pier.

the type of desert you see in Radiator Springs will be considerably different. (Although not considerable different than the look of Big Thunder.)

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    There is no need to change the theme of Condor Flats. The desert area is so minimal, it's barely noticable. most of it's just a runway. Plus I really like the transition from a runway to a "National Park" area. They don't need to waste the money in Condor Flats. Use that extra money to make Hollywood Studios Backlot better, OR in eliminating more tacky from Paradise Pier.

the type of desert you see in Radiator Springs will be considerably different. (Although not considerable different than the look of Big Thunder.)
    True. It seems like a lot of desert like areas transition into wooded areas (for example, frontierland into adventureland ) But yeah, I think if they finally fixed up Hollywoodland and PP, the next land that needs a makeover/update is Tomorrowland or Toontown. Tomorrowland needs some more "Tomorrow" to it. I think it should actually look like a city of tomorrow, it hasnt been updated in a while, other than nemo, which other than the "technology to talk to sea life" isnt really futuristic.

I like the idea of Condor Flats and would have loved to see the area done on the right scale. With the retheme, make the land more diverse. Just like Frontierland has the town area and the mining area, I'd love to see something similiar done to Grizzly Peak. Make parts seem more rustic and wild and less National Park and sterile.

I also think Muholland Madness would benefit the area by moving there. The coaster takes up little space and could easily be worked in. Enclose it and theme it to mine carts zooming in and out of mine shafts. As a weenie attraction (current location) it fails, but as a D ticket between Soarin' and GRR it could do very well.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

That's a great idea, so long as it's indoors and not heard in the hotel rooms. DVC people are going to hate Goofy's Sky School.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The theme of Condor Flats should be what works best for Soarin, which isn't being moved.

• DL Obsessed

But its just a theme based off of 1 ride. Just seems bland to me.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Soarin makes no sense in a national park unless they ditch all the aviation references. And just show the hang gliding in Yosemite scene and the wilderness areas.

• Im Monsters Incorporated!

i think soarin would make sense with a national park theme, i dont see how it wouldn't fit, except for a couple parts of the film like the golf course and LA. i hope they keep it soarin over California because theres talk it will become soaring over the world

• "I Break Things"

I would think that if they change it to a forest theme they would change the actual name to Grizzly Flats... Condors were dry area raptors, golden eagles would be the equivalent for the mountain areas... so either Eagle Ridge or Grizzly Flats would be my "vote".

My hope would be that they would adapt Soarin to be unique to the forest and time period portrayed... I would then encourage more family friendly non height based attractions. They could even take a page out of Knott's playbook and call it "Camp Mickey"...
    Last edited by techskip; 08-04-2009 at 09:37 AM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I would think that if they change it to a forest theme they would change the actual name to Grizzly Flats... Condors were dry area raptors, golden eagles would be the equivalent for the mountain areas... so either Eagle Ridge or Grizzly Flats would be my "vote".

My hope would be that they would adapt Soarin to be unique to the forest and time period portrayed... I would then encourage more family friendly non height based attractions. They could even take a page out of Knott's playbook and call it "Camp Mickey"...
    If you remembre from an old Al Lutz update Condor Flats will be rethemed as an expansion of Grizzly forest area (obviously the conflicting aviation props will be removed and the building repainted like the concept art shows)

A panning for gold attraction similar to what they have at Knott's would be added to the area for families and they had a plan to add a train ride around the mountain. You can actually see Concept art for alot of this stuff in that Disney mountains book that got released last year.

well condor flats was not necessarily suppose to represent the desert. Condor flats was suppose to represent the evolution of aviation and California's contribution to that.

The reasoning for seeing props from different timelines was done purposely to showcase how aviation evolved in the state.

The desert environment was chosen because some of the original landing strips were based in desert and or desolate area or away from the main population. Small air strips that have now become engulfed in every direction from the growing cities used to dot the California landscape.
    Many areas which we no longer see as desert landscape used to be just as dry and barren as places like the inland Empire here in southern California.

If they really wanted to they could easily leave Condor Flats theme in tacked. The desert landscaped used in that land is very different from the one that will be in Cars Land.

If they do decide to change it to become part of the grizzly national park area i know they do have in mind to retheme several of the props and make them more time specific. The large engine that has the mist would be turned into a water tower. the propped plane in front of taste pilot grill would be removed and the prop plane near the end of the strip would be replaced. Lots of new trees would be added and most of the structures would get a new paint scheme.

The other big change would be the rock work. The rock work that is there now would be demolished and replaced with rock work that matches the rest of the land.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    One "issue" I have with this is that it doesn't address a fundamental problem... lack of non height based attractions between the entrance and Redwood Creek. The picture basically looks like a hanger trapped behind trees with other stores around it (making 0 sense from a thematic standpoint). Poor WDI doesn't have a creative Pixar movie to bail them out of this one... I guess it means they need to make a Pixar movie about the forest now so we can makeover that area too!
    What about UP? I saw the film and it was kind of adventure based with some forestry and deserty shenanigans. They could even retheme Soarin' into an Up ride, right? Floatin' over California! :P

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast