Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51
  1. #31

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,638

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I like the idea of Condor Flats and would have loved to see the area done on the right scale. With the retheme, make the land more diverse. Just like Frontierland has the town area and the mining area, I'd love to see something similiar done to Grizzly Peak. Make parts seem more rustic and wild and less National Park and sterile.

    I also think Muholland Madness would benefit the area by moving there. The coaster takes up little space and could easily be worked in. Enclose it and theme it to mine carts zooming in and out of mine shafts. As a weenie attraction (current location) it fails, but as a D ticket between Soarin' and GRR it could do very well.
    I really like the idea of Mullholland madness moved to this location.

    One thing that i think would have worked is if they re-arrange the large landscaped area that transitions condor flats to grizzly.

    They should consider re-arranging the main pathway and then using the pathway area and landscaped area and turn it into a small town. something with various entry point (think new orleans square). Large trees and brush would create a lush landscaped area between the hotel and the small town.

    Once that is done, then i would go ahead and relocate the fly n buy shop to that area. People would basically have to walk though the area and would give the shop more foot traffic. Then the area occupied by the shop as well as the area next to it being used for the Cars meet and greet would be gutted out and repurposed for mullholland madness. Lots of new landscaping and a proper facade themed to the area would give Condor flats another attraction that the family could enjoy.

    If Mullholland madness could not be concealed properly in that area then another option would be to add a small family/child friendly coaster similar to the barnstormer in WDW. Basically the idea would be to give adults an option of something to do with their young children, themed to match Soarin, while the rest of the family rides Soarin.

  2. #32

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    72

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    I agree and Goofy's Flite School is the perfect match for this area. I'm whole-heartedly in agreement with re-theming and moving to this area. this frees up the extra space in the Pier area without removing a ride from the attraction count.

    Furthermore, even if you went with the National Park theme for the whole area, you could easily adjust the idea of a Flight School to fit in the Park Ranger theme.

  3. #33

    • Disneyland History Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chula Vista, CA
    Posts
    1,982

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    I must be missing something, but I've never caught onto a dessert theme when in Condor Flats. I really like Condor Flats as aviation is interesting to me. I don't want it to be taken over by the Grizzly Peak/National Park area, but if it's going to happen I hope they really consider how they're going to handle Soarin' before they go and plant some pine trees in there. I totally LOVE Soarin'. It was the first attraction I visited on my first trip to the DLR (or any Disney park for that matter since it was my first). But I kind of get confused because the attraction is treated from queue to boarding video to the actual seats as an airplane hanger and airplane. It feels like a runway when the seats move upwards, yet it's supposed to be a simulated glider ride. That to me makes no sense whatsoever, but I suppose it's a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things.

    I'd really like for them to keep the theme because California obviously has huge contributions to the aviation industry and it really helps set the mood of the park. But at the same time it needs to be worked on and possibly even expanded somewhat so that there can be at least one other attraction. Moving Goofy's Sky School here would be a huge plus. I'd say get rid of the jungle gym and put it there.

  4. #34

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    I know Al posted a while back about the potential retheme but I was not sure if it was official or not. At the time there was talk of both a Mine Train and possible CBJ theater... both nixed due to structural integrity questions about GRR.

    Again major complaint is that from the entrance of Condor Flats up to GRR itself you really do not have an option of something kid friendly... they should take this overlay opportunity to "fix" that with a little Disney magic.

    As to Carsland vs Condor Flats they would both be displaying the same geographical areas... the Deserts were used for aviation because they were flat with minimal obstructions... perfect for runways (ever wonder why the Air Force Academy is in Colorado?) After WW2 a lot of the Army Air Corps bases were closed and locals used the old runways as drag strips... additionally you had the Salt Lake Racers.... So in essence you will have 2 lands portraying the same environment.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  5. #35

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    I like the idea of MM being relocated within and expanded Grizzly Peak, but I've always thought it should be given a mine cart overlay and be mostly built into a mountain, not given a flight school overlay. I would love to see a mellow train ride through the area that shared some show rooms. DCA could really use some rides that were integrated together like some of DL ones (Morso of the past of course.) I always thought a great scene for both rides could be created if you had an big open cavern that could see parts of the these two mine car rides and then there were also other non-ride vehicle ore carts racing around, and lifting and dumping ore and maybe a few big crucibles with bubbling ore for dramatic effect. I guess the closest thing to what I had envisioned would be the industrial revolution coaster WDI proposed for Disney's America, but obviously with more of a mine feel.

    I also agree with ProfTango that a little mining town should be created in the area using some of the exisiting buildings, I suppose it could be called Grizzly Gulch since that could match HKDL. I had suggested Redwood Ridge in the past as the name of the town. I would also create a mythology that connects the GC to the town and help give it a reason for being. Personally I've suggested that the new land be called Grizzly Valley, peak doesn't sound right to describe the area to me. The new mountain and rockwork and trees would help create more of a valley feel and I think that would make it be more reminscent of Yosemite and other areas in the Sierra. I also think that some of the high desert feel can be retained nearer to the front of the park, because it does make a natural transition from LA into the high desert and then into the mountians. If they add more pines and dryer climate trees and then it gets more forested as you go back further into the land I think that would work best. Overall though I think making it into one land whose theming is a little more consistent is a good idea and I do hope that's what they do in phase two. Although, obviously I'd rather see the area go more in a 1860's mining town direction rather than a 1910 national park.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  6. #36

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    313

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    I think a mining town / Mine car attraction would end up being too much like a lesser Frontierland / BTMRR and the comparisons would ultimatly be unfavorable. I personally like the direction shown in the poster for this area especially since there are currently too many mini-lands in DCA's makeup.

    Only place I can see room for another attraction in that area is where Tast Pilot's Grill is now and an exposed ride like MM might be too in your face for the quiet peacefull theme of a National Park. A Dark Ride or CBJ would better fit the concept IMHO.
    Mike_M

    Disneyland Trips
    1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
    1990, 1992, 1993
    2006, 2007, 2009
    2010, 2011, 2014

    Walt Disney World
    2000, 2001

  7. #37

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    Sigh, it sounds so beautiful. But I have one question: How does Soarin fit in to this mining town.

  8. #38

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    72

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    In a mining town theme, I'm not sure. I think it can easily still work in the Teddy Roosevelt era National Park theme as a hang gliding adventure through the National Park (so long as it says Soarin' Over California) with just some minor adjustments to the pre-show and queue.

    Bring on Brownstone National Park, featuring J. Audobon Woodlore and Humphrey and the bears.

  9. #39

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    Not to sound harsh but as amazing as all of this sounds... what has Disney disclosed that they actually plan to do?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  10. #40

    • Don't Mess With The Duck!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, California - USA
    Posts
    3,640

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Not to sound harsh but as amazing as all of this sounds... what has Disney disclosed that they actually plan to do?
    Raise their prices?

  11. #41

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Riverside Ca
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    I think a mining town / Mine car attraction would end up being too much like a lesser Frontierland / BTMRR and the comparisons would ultimatly be unfavorable. I personally like the direction shown in the poster for this area especially since there are currently too many mini-lands in DCA's makeup.

    Only place I can see room for another attraction in that area is where Tast Pilot's Grill is now and an exposed ride like MM might be too in your face for the quiet peacefull theme of a National Park. A Dark Ride or CBJ would better fit the concept IMHO.
    I think they can take it other directions that Frontierland. Frontierland has a nice sprawling quality. Make Grizzly Peak a tightly packed boom town surrounded by forest and peaks. Use waterfalls, gysers, and the lushness of the area make it different.

    And as for places to stick MM, it could squeeze into the hillside where the Cars meet and greet/store/smoking area is, having the mountain absorb much of the coaster. That along with a more curving path could allow room enough. Or it could be squeezed between Soarin' and The Grand Californian. Personally, I think they need to help block more views of the hotel from inside the land because seeing a giant hotel (themed or not) greatly diminishes the size of the land. The forest doesn't seem so big with a towering hotel. So build a MM mine cart mountain in front on one corner, add some rock work and re-facade the bottom to look more boom-town esque.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

  12. #42

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I think they can take it other directions that Frontierland. Frontierland has a nice sprawling quality. Make Grizzly Peak a tightly packed boom town surrounded by forest and peaks. Use waterfalls, gysers, and the lushness of the area make it different.

    And as for places to stick MM, it could squeeze into the hillside where the Cars meet and greet/store/smoking area is, having the mountain absorb much of the coaster. That along with a more curving path could allow room enough. Or it could be squeezed between Soarin' and The Grand Californian. Personally, I think they need to help block more views of the hotel from inside the land because seeing a giant hotel (themed or not) greatly diminishes the size of the land. The forest doesn't seem so big with a towering hotel. So build a MM mine cart mountain in front on one corner, add some rock work and re-facade the bottom to look more boom-town esque.
    I would say MM next to GRR where the stores are because it would make it less of a noise/sight hazard for the hotel. I would also love to have a great deal more trees in the area. I think focusing on logging instead of mining would be the best way to set Grizzly apart from Frontierland. Frontierland is primarily mountains/mining. By making Grizzly more logging based (which makes sense given the history of Sequoia) it would set it apart.

    Another way to do this would be to add woodcraft based shops to Grizzly and a mineral/geode shop to Frontierland.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  13. #43

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    Raise their prices?
    In all seriousness I hope there is more thought/budget put into this retheme then a change of landscape. A fundamental issue with DCA is a lack of family based attractions... adding some in this area would go a long way.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  14. #44

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    I think MM rethemed to a mining ride would be perfect where the challenge trail is. It would be big enough to enclouse the ride, and the que could be part of the trail and then the entrance could be one of those sites where they build a building around an entrance to a cave. Anyone know what im talking about here? Anyways the inside que of the building would be like a tourist stop inside however the cave entrance would be ropped off saying do not enter and there would be danger signs. You would have a CM pull "minners" kinda like SPACE where they only let a few go at a time and this is were fast pass could meet up enter down the hall. The hall would be silent and windy like entering a cave and then you would catch up to the load station where you would board the mining carts. The story would be a collapsed mine and you are the rescure team that is sent in to find the missing miners as you board an old mine cart. Of course it takes you on a winding adventure through the mines. Maybe extend the end of MM to allow for an unload station that would take you to an exit where the miners are AA's of course (still in your mine cart) and you slowly pull up to the exit and get out of the cart into a shop (in typical disney fashion ). Being in the dark you could add elements and lights on the carts so that you can see other carts wisking away and set up lighted signs..i dunno something along the lines.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

    Hope I was helpful!

  15. #45

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Condor Flats in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    I think MM rethemed to a mining ride would be perfect where the challenge trail is. It would be big enough to enclouse the ride, and the que could be part of the trail and then the entrance could be one of those sites where they build a building around an entrance to a cave. Anyone know what im talking about here? Anyways the inside que of the building would be like a tourist stop inside however the cave entrance would be ropped off saying do not enter and there would be danger signs. You would have a CM pull "minners" kinda like SPACE where they only let a few go at a time and this is were fast pass could meet up enter down the hall. The hall would be silent and windy like entering a cave and then you would catch up to the load station where you would board the mining carts. The story would be a collapsed mine and you are the rescure team that is sent in to find the missing miners as you board an old mine cart. Of course it takes you on a winding adventure through the mines. Maybe extend the end of MM to allow for an unload station that would take you to an exit where the miners are AA's of course (still in your mine cart) and you slowly pull up to the exit and get out of the cart into a shop (in typical disney fashion ). Being in the dark you could add elements and lights on the carts so that you can see other carts wisking away and set up lighted signs..i dunno something along the lines.
    The only issue being the loss of the Challenge Trail as a non-height based attraction. A slight "consolation prize" would be the ability to easily add a cave theater for the Country Bears... this would also mean adding more to the new Soarin area for little ones.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •