• Sock Puppet

Lightbulb My idea for the Muholland Madness Retheme

I think the Goofy theme should be scrapped and it should be
    Lilo and Stitch's Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride.

The theme song could be Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride. The cars could be repainted to look like cool surfboard designs.

Theres a corner where Stitch and Lilo could hang out for pictures

The resturant could be themed Hawaiian foods.

discuss...

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Re: My idea for the Muholland Madness Retheme

Good start... I'd like to hear more details from you though
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• =)

Thank you for posting your idea, but I think I'm gonna have to vote no thank you. That would very explicitly violate the California theme. Of course, TLM and Cars Land will, too, but two (or three) wrongs don't make a right. Since DCA doesn't seem to be taking on some completely new thematic identity, it seems better to me to just stick with the most pervasive theme, which is California.

Yeah...Hawaii ride in California Adventure doesn't really work. And character tie in's actually make the job harder than just doing an original coaster. Big Thunder works because of it's simplicity. It would get muddy if they designed it after the cart scene in Home on the Range. You have to add in too much and make too many allusions. Just build a structure around it, theme it, and make it work. Characters and cut-outs just make the job that much harder.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

That's weird because I was just thinking today that that song could be the soundtrack for California Screamin' and they could just throw some Stitch AA's and call it a retheme. But yeah the Stitch theme does completely violate the overall California themed park.

• Sock Puppet

But alot of things in DCA violate the "California Theme"

Bugs Land
    Little Mermaid
    Toystory

I personally never understood having a theme park dedicated to the state its in. Living in CA and then going to a theme park that supposed to be themed after it. It's like going from your front yard to your backyard.

I respect your decisions but I think it still needs more Disney theming. Which is why they're adding all the Disney characters to it now...

• Future Skipper

Even though TSMM, TLM, and Bug's Land all technically violate the California theme, none of them have a specific setting, whereas Lilo and Stitch is very obviously in Hawaii.

• Future Cast Member

Yeah, I love Stitch, this sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Meettherobinson View Post

Bugs Land
    Little Mermaid
    Toystory

I personally never understood having a theme park dedicated to the state its in. Living in CA and then going to a theme park that supposed to be themed after it. It's like going from your front yard to your backyard.

I respect your decisions but I think it still needs more Disney theming. Which is why they're adding all the Disney characters to it now...
    Bugs Land doesn't really violate Ca because California certainly has bugs.

And the theme makes sense, just the execution doesn't. DCA shouldn't be themed to California, but to a fantastic version of the state. Take a look at the New York section of TDS. It's themed to "New York," not New York. If that makes any sense.

And adding Disney characters doesn't add more Disney theming. Tiki Room: Under New Management ring a bell? Disney theming is creating interesting attractions/lands that tell some sort of story through the details. Adding Stitch to Space Mountain doesn't make it more Disney Themed, it would in fact do the opposite.

And if Disney were being smart, they could incorportate the same ideas into attractions that would fit the park. Many a seaside pier had museums and aquariums boasting oddities. Giant sharks, monsters of the deep, and even mermaids. Use this as a launching point for an original Ariel attraction. Theme Carsland to a desert Route 66 type land with Radiator Springs Racers being one attraction, allowing them to explore all other type of attractions which could fit in the land.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• Future Cast Member

oh my gosh, I hate the florida tiki room! the characters i can live with, but they hardly even sing classic tiki room songs! they really ruined a classic attraction. I mean, i dont mind the potc tie-ins because they dont completely change the story of the ride, they just add little details, and the movie is based on the ride, unlike aladdin or lion king, which arent based on the tiki room.

Tucson, Arizona, but I wish I was in Philly, PA

Bugs Land
    Little Mermaid
    Toystory

It's A Great Idea, but they are spending all the time to get rid of the modern beach, boardwalk theme. And it would be a Hawaiian theme, which would be out of place.
    With Bugs Land, it can be believed that u have been shrunken into a bug, and are in a California Park.
    With The Little Mermaid, u can just base it that your off the coast of California. In the movie, they never state that there in anywhere, except the ocean and land.
    With Toy Story, u can just imagine that u are in a California Toy Store.
    U just have to believe in it.

I will be at DisneyWorld on April 29, 2011-May 4, 2011. If You Are Going The Same Time Message Me

• =)

Bugs Land
    Little Mermaid
    Toystory
    Do these discrepancies mean that DCA should abandon the theme altogether? That'd be fine if everything were converging in a single new, different direction, but that's clearly not the case - everything that's being added to DCA is pulling it in many different directions, but with California still being a very common element. And to my knowledge, there have been no announcements of the name and dedication being changed, though there was certainly talk about that.

You're certainly not alone in thinking that way. My question is this: what if DCA were about California's past, future, and fantasy (AKA mythology), rather than about California's present? Disneyland very successfully takes the same sort of approach - it explores the past, future, and fantasy of the whole world. It'd be terrible if it just stuck with the present. I think would have been ample opportunities for truly entertaining lands and attractions that fit the theme perfectly.

But as Professortango said, Disney characters do not necessarily equal the sort of theming that Disney built its reputation on. If that were true, Fantasyland and Toontown would be the only lands in Disneyland that were supposed to have Disney theming! If you ask me, there's a lot more theming to be found in an attraction that totally immerses you in an adventure you otherwise couldn't experience...one that happens to lack Disney characters...than one that slaps a big Mickey head on a simple variation of a standard, unthemed amusement park ride.