Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Say Cheese!

Circle Vision - AT&T speaker phones booths?

Okay, I was reminiscing on Yesterland.com and found it interesting that there are no entries for this attraction that use to be where the Buzz Lightyear is now. I think I remember it, but was very young at the time. Wasn't there a circle vision of some sort there with these phone booths encased with glass where you can make phone calls via speaker phone? And I remember going on People Mover and riding through the circle vision section of the building?

Can someone clarify this for me? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Re: Circle Vision - AT&T speaker phones booths?

i remember that too.....no clarification though.

• Senior Minion

The Peoplemover ran past (not through) the CircleVision pre-show room. Similar to looking down into the Adventure thru Inner Space loading area, later Star Tours, you'd look into a wide lobby where people saw an audio-visual presentation that served as the "countdown" to entering the CircleVision theater. In the years before the AV preshow, Disney hosts and hostesses did a live audience-warmup preshow.

Near the CircleVision theater exit was a large lobby, open to the Tomorrowland concourse, with ultramodern, all-glass phone booths featuring the new "hands free" phone. It was fun to get a bunch of friends in the booth, call a friend or relative back home and given 'em a Group Neener-Neener that you were at Disneyland and they weren't.

There were also booths with regular-style phones where you could hear a (recorded) call from Mickey, Minnie and other Disney characters.

Of course, this was all in the days before everyone carried cell phones.

EDIT: For PeopleMover fans, Kevin Yee made a well done home video of it in 1994, which is viewable on the Visions Fantastic web site. The video includes a glimpse of the CircleVision preshow area.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-03-2009 at 06:52 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Making those phone calls in those booths were such a big deal when I was in high school in the 70s. Very exciting.

• Say Cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The Peoplemover ran past (not through) the CircleVision pre-show room. Similar to looking down into the Adventure thru Inner Space loading area, later Star Tours, you'd look into a wide lobby where people saw an audio-visual presentation that served as the "countdown" to entering the CircleVision theater. In the years before the AV preshow, Disney hosts and hostesses did a live audience-warmup preshow.

Near the CircleVision theater exit was a large lobby, open to the Tomorrowland concourse, with ultramodern, all-glass phone booths featuring the new "hands free" phone. It was fun to get a bunch of friends in the booth, call a friend or relative back home and given 'em a Group Neener-Neener that you were at Disneyland and they weren't.

There were also booths with regular-style phones where you could hear a (recorded) call from Mickey, Minnie and other Disney characters.

Of course, this was all in the days before everyone carried cell phones.

EDIT: For PeopleMover fans, Kevin Yee made a well done home video of it in 1994, which is viewable on the Visions Fantastic web site. The video includes a glimpse of the CircleVision preshow area.

Thank you so much for this info. Now was "CircleVision" the name outside the building? And for some reason, I remember the game "Tic Tac Toe" related to this attraction. Why? I have no idea.

Thanks again.

• Say Cheese!

Any way to can put a direct link to that? I'd love to see it.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyPhotoGuy View Post
    Thank you so much for this info. Now was "CircleVision" the name outside the building? And for some reason, I remember the game "Tic Tac Toe" related to this attraction. Why? I have no idea.

Thanks again.
    CircleVision was the attraction in the building. It was a circle of 9 movie screens and you would watch a film and get a 360 degree view of everything.

http://www.visionsfantastic.com/page...vision360.html

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyPhotoGuy View Post
    Any way to can put a direct link to that? I'd love to see it.
    I don't think I may post a hotlink per forum rules, but you'll find it on the visionsfantastic site in User Gallery, Site Video and Multimedia, under Kevin's name.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Lackey

I loved those phones - group and character! There was a tic tac toe game that was related to the phones or computer technology of the time... (don't remember completely, either). It was fun stuff and gave the sponsors a great platform at the same time.
    Also, during the Rocket Rods (short) era, the exhibit area had some great displays related to the Mars landing. The whole exhibit area is now the Store Command and Fast Pass section.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• Say Cheese!

I don't think I may post a hotlink per forum rules, but you'll find it on the visionsfantastic site in User Gallery, Site Video and Multimedia, under Kevin's name.

Thank you!

• Comets? Comets!

I remember those phones quite vividly, but I could never remember where they were in Tomorrowland. I remember my mom and I calling my grandma and talking to her in one of the booths.

• Minion

I remember those booths in Tomorrowland too. Back in the 70s for me though.

When I hired in to Tomorrowland Attractions, the Circle-Vision attraction was going to be newly-sponsored by PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines), and the title above the entrance had been changed and actually read "Circle-Vision." The title of the movie though was "American Journeys," I believe, and appeared just below the word "Circle-Vision" and the sponsor's name.

I think it had been referred to as as a "circle-vision" process before that, but when PSA took it over, the word "Circle-Vision" was then included above the entrance.

Through the 70s though I seem to remember it simply saying "America the Beautiful" with the sponsor (AT&T) mentioned there above the entrance.

• Minion

Yes, there were Tic-Tac-Toe games where you played against a computer.

The Yesterland site gives a brief mention of CircleVision-360 under "Other Tomorrowland Attractions". - Other Tomorrowland Attractions at Yesterland

• Semi-Lurker

In the early days of the attraction there was also a preshow in the lobby area where there were 51 flags on display. A host, who was an employee of the sponsor not a cast member, would ask the crowd to guess which state each flag represented. The final flag highlighted would stump the guests, until the host/hostess told them that the state represented was the state of Confusion.

• Legends never die...

You can listen to the recorded messages from the exit lobby phones here:

America The Beautiful - 1974 Circle-Vision Exit Lobby

Personally I think most of them are terrible representations of the character voices, and the scripts are just... well silly. But I guess little kids don't mind.
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast