Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking First hour strategies for DL and DCA

We are heading back to DLR for the first time in 6 yrs. and I know things have changed a bit (new rides, refurbs etc..). We will be going mid November around Veteran's day and not sure what crowd levels will be like. My question is what are your best strategies for the first hour or two after the park opens? Which rides do you hit first and which ones do you grab FP's for to make the most efficient use of your time?
    Thanks for your input....this is my first post!

Re: First hour strategies for DL and DCA

This may be unusual, but I, personally, like to hit up the Fantasyland dark rides first thing. They tend to do nothing but get longer waits as the day goes on, and most of the queues are relatively uninteresting switchbacks. If you do them first, you can pretty much knock them out in an hour or two. And, if you want to, you can swing around and grab a Fastpass for Space or Indy.

In the end, it really depends a lot on what you want to do the most. And welcome to Micechat!
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Sock Puppet

Novemeber crowds are usually not that bad with the exception of the three day holiday w/e and of course, Thanksgiving week.

Get there at rope-drop and pick up a FP foryour favorite E-Ticket then hit whatever else that you want to. Keep ay eye on the FP times and get the next one as soon as you can.

If it is during pretty much anytime other than when I mentioned, you'll have no problem doing what you want to.

Enjoy!

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

My personal strategy...

Everyone has a tendency to go to the right and into tomorrowland at rope drop... I go left nto Adventureland, do Indy, then do Thunder, then do Pirates, Mansion, Splash, Pooh, then hop the train in New Orleans to Tomorrowland to pick up FP for Space...

And that's all between 8 & 9 or 9 & 10

PS: This only works on a day when there is not early entry to either the entire park or ToonTown.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Higitus Figitus

i don't know if you have little kids or what types of rides you enjoy, but here's what my family and i did on our last visit and i thought it worked wonderfully.
    1. Nemo - if you're gonna go, now is the time. we practically ran from the entrance to tomorrowland and still had a half hour wait if i remember correctly
    2. Space Mountain - Before you ride, pick up a fastpass.
    3. Ride Indy
    4. Ride Thunder Mountain
    5. Ride Splash EARLY- nobody will want to get drenched at 10 in the morning so the line is incredibly short. if you use this plan- either buy your souvenir tshirt after this or bring a change of clothes/poncho
    6. DEPENDING ON YOUR SPACE MOUNTAIN FP TIME either pick up a fastpass for splash for later on or head back to Indy and get one. if you choose indy, you can stop at Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, or even dry off on Pirates Lair (formerly Tom Sawyers Island) on your way back.

Being a thrill ride fan, this was the best schedule for me bc it let me hit all my fav attractions in about 2 hours. mind you, this was during early entry in the summer; i'm not sure if they have that around veterans day but its def a good idea to get the biggest bang for your buck.
    have a nice trip!
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”

• Favorite movie ever

Blog Entries

I never had any strategies but here is some advice for you to take.

You will definately want to head on straight to Fantasyland, and automatically do Peter Pan (during the day, the wait can get up to 40+ minutes). Then, I would suggest Pinocchio, then Alice, then Mr. Toad, and then Matterhorn, then Casey Jr. (that can get up to 20 minutes), and then Storybookland, then IASW, and then finish it off with Mad Tea Party and the Carrousel (lately, there has been a long line).

When you are done with Fantasyland, get a FastPass for Space Mountain (on a busy weekend, it can get up to 75 minutes, or in your case of Veteran's Day, maybe 90 minutes). Then, hit up Indiana Jones and head on over to Pirates and Haunted.

That is what I would do.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5drgntKOI

I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU...WHERE DID YOU GO?

• I'm not really here

We don't really have a "strategy" per se, but Peter Pan and Toad are good to hit up very early. We often grab a fast pass for Space and go ride Indy right away as well.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Future Cast Member

Also, I recommend getting a fastpass for Roger Rabbit, too. Since it's wired seperately, you can have a Roger Rabbit FP, other DL attraction FP, and DCA FP, so you might as well get one to go on fast on that ride and save time while still fitting in an extra ride

• Keep Moving Forward

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest NOT hitting up Fantasyland first thing. With the exception of Peter Pan, the lines for these attractions will be very, very short if not walk-ons, which is not the case for most E-tickets such as Indy or Space. My personal battle plan is to start at Indy, head over to Splash Mountain, and follow that up with Big Thunder Mountain. After that I'd recommend getting a Fastpass for Space Mountain. All the time, keep an eye on the clock. As soon as it's close to 9:30, head straight over to DCA. The gates will open a half-hour prior to park opening, so everyone can wait for the rope drop. Typically, Soarin' opens at this time as well, so you can get a jump on your day at California Adventure. Once you're done there, do everything else there as quickly as possible and head back over to Disneyland where you should be able to finish up at your leisure.

A couple notes regarding the time of year:
    1) Yes, Veteran's Day is typically very crowded. I was there for Veteran's Day one year and experienced peak crowds. Granted, this was on a Friday, so things might be slower on a Wednesday since it's not so close to the weekend. But even so, be prepared for a busy park.
    2) Since this is in November, the Haunted Mansion will also be busy thanks to its holiday overlay. Fastpass it if possible.
    3) Others have mentioned Magic Morning early entry, so I thought it fit to include this: again, Veteran's Day is on a Wednesday, which is not normally a Magic Morning day. Sometimes these days do switch around, but it's not likely.

Hope that helps!
    Interested in visions fantastic of Disneyland?
    Check out my albums on Flickr by clicking here!

• Disneyland History Lover

We don't have a set strategy, but if we're there when the park opens we like hitting the E tickets as it's typically easier to get on them at that time and wait a lot less in line. We often just grab a FastPass for Space Mountain or Splash Mountain and then go to another E ticket (either one of those two or Indy). Just depends on what we feel like doing.

Thanks for all the tips! We may hit DCA on Veteren's day and then DL on Thurs. and Friday. Is it worth going to Nemo first thing? I have heard that you spend a lot of time in line there no matter when you go so maybe better to use the early morning to hit other big rides and go back to Nemo during the parades. Opinions?

• Circle of Ancients

This is what we did on last Sunday:

Park Open, grab FP for Space Mtn (return time of 8:55).
    Fantasyland: Rode Snow White, Mr. Toad, Dumbo and Casey Jr.
    Frontierland: Big Thunder (walk on)
    Adventureland: Picked up FP for Indy (return time of 9:40 then rode Jungle Cruise
    NOS: Pirates
    Critter Country: Picked up FP for Splash Mtn. (return time of 10:30)
    Adventureland: Had some fruit for breakfast, used Indy FP.
    Tomorrowland: Rode Space Mtn using FP. Rode Buzz (10 minute wait)
    Fantasyland: Rode Small World

MiceChat Meet/Lunch until approx 1:15
    Critter Country: Used Splash Mtn. FP

Left park at approx. 2:00.

Of course, you could have continued to get FP's throughout the day but basically by 2:00 we had ridden almost every major attraction (except for HM and Nemo).

The key is getting your FP's early to minimize your return time allowing you to get an additional FP.

• Disneyman

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    My personal strategy...

Everyone has a tendency to go to the right and into tomorrowland at rope drop... I go left nto Adventureland, do Indy, then do Thunder, then do Pirates, Mansion, Splash, Pooh, then hop the train in New Orleans to Tomorrowland to pick up FP for Space...

And that's all between 8 & 9 or 9 & 10

PS: This only works on a day when there is not early entry to either the entire park or ToonTown.

Thats essentially what I do, as well. I typically go in a clockwise pattern around the park, beginning with Pirates (its just tradition for me to always go on Pirates first). Then I usually hit up Indy, Haunted Mansion, Splash, Pooh, Big Thunder, then I usually make my way over to Tomorrowland and hit the rest (Matterhorn, Space Mt, Buzz, etc.)

However, whenever I have an early admission, I try to hit up the Fantasyland rides. There has been a couple of times when I've been able to go on essentially all the Fantasyland Dark Rides (Plus a couple more) within the first hour.

Remember to utilize the FP system, as well. There is a thread that tells you how the system works, and if you do it right, you can potentially have multiple FP's at once. Some of them aren't connected to the same network.
    "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

My choices would be

Park Open, grab FP for Space Mtn
    Fantasyland: Ride Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Dumbo, Casey Jr., Pinnochio, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, then Matterhorn
    ** Trick is to get out of Fantasyland by 9am **

Toontown: Roger Rabbit, Go Coaster, Visit some houses, then Ride Small World.
    ** Trick is to get out of Toontown by 10am **

Then Fastpass for Splash Mountain, ride Big Thunder, then have a 11am lunch at the Golden Horseshoe.

Once Lunch is over get the Fastpass for Indy and then start from Pooh and Splash and work your way down to Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, and Tiki Room to enjoy a Dole Whip.

That should take you too 2pm.

• Future theatre actress <3

Where the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake

For DL i would hit the ride you know will have a 30 min + wait. Example Splash mountain, nemo, space mountain, indy, and matterhorn. (i would recomend Splash or nemo as the very first though.)

DCA i would definately reccomend Soarin because that line will get long and stay long. Other rides i would hit before it gets crowded are Midway mania, screamin, TOT, Grizzly River Run.
    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

AEROSMITH FTWW!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast