Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What happens after a major earthquake?

I work as a volunteer to help prepare people at my work for quakes, and having heard presentations/panels with Disney personnel on them - the parks are well prepared. Rides automatically shut down and are inspected, as others have noted. Most if not all the buildings at DLR are fully retrofitted to current seismic codes. They have enough food, water and sanitary supplies on hand to handle guests for at least three days, plus all kinds of other detailed plans, because if freeway bridges are down people might not be able to reach home safely.

There is a major hospital/trauma center - UCI medical center - less than 10 minutes from the park.

I can think of WAAAAY worse places to be when the big one hits than DLR.
    "Once upon a time there was a Magic Kingdom
    made of hopes and childhood fantasies
    A timeless place where every land was filled with wonder
    A place where everyone who enters its gates will be given the gift of the
    Young at Heart"

• Koubu Pilot

Which earthquake forced the evacuation of the Disneyland Hotel? If I remember correctly, it hit at night and only one tower was evacuated for one night, then business as usual. It was sometime during the first half of the '90s I think.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    Which earthquake forced the evacuation of the Disneyland Hotel? If I remember correctly, it hit at night and only one tower was evacuated for one night, then business as usual. It was sometime during the first half of the '90s I think.
    That would have been the Northridge quake in 94. Some plaster fell off of one of the DLH towers.

I remember there was some damage at Angel stadium. Part of the overhang that shades the 3rd level seats fell onto the seats. Thank God this quake happened in January at 4 in the morning instead of a Sunday summer afternoon. Thousands of lives could have easily been lost.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    That would have been the Northridge quake in 94. Some plaster fell off of one of the DLH towers.

I remember there was some damage at Angel stadium. Part of the overhang that shades the 3rd level seats fell onto the seats. Thank God this quake happened in January at 4 in the morning instead of a Sunday summer afternoon. Thousands of lives could have easily been lost.
    I remember the Angel stadium's damage. I thought it was a different quake that forced evacuation of the Disneyland Hotel, but Northridge was probably it since it's the only major quake to strike in the '90s before the sun came up.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    Trip Report??? Wasn't that earthquake in June of 1992? Micechat wasn't even around let alone the web as we know it today.
    Yep. The quake was in 1992. A few years ago I wrote all about the trip and the quake. I scanned pictures from my photo album to go along with it. Like I said, it is here on the site, I just can't find it without search.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Having the rides shut down is annoying if you're at the park, but Disney can't take a chance on letting attractions operate that may have damage. I've never been at the park during a quake, but feel bad for people who may be visiting from far away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12