Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Gateway Fantasmic!

What happens after a major earthquake?

What happens at Disneyland after a major earthquake? How long is the park closed for? What magnitude does it have to be for an evacuation? I'm not a local so I was just wondering.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

• I read the news today...

Re: What happens after a major earthquake?

Um, it's not like an earthquake happens daily... They do occur in California though. I would assume the earthquake would have to be fairly significant to cause an evacuation. Earthquakes with magnitudes of about 3 and under just shake things up a little bit. I doubt that would cause an evacuation, it's more likely to freak people out for a second or two. If there was a fairly major earthquake, perhaps a 5, 6 or higher magnitude, that would be cause for concern. In that case, they would most likely evacuate the park and check all the buildings, shops, rides, etc. for structural damage. They would probably check any people in the park for injuries as well. With a higher magnitude earthquake, everything can become unsafe for all people in an area. I'm sure Disney has a plan in place for any sort of major disaster. Let's hope there aren't any earthquakes in California anytime soon.
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dogtherock View Post
    What happens at Disneyland after a major earthquake? How long is the park closed for? What magnitude does it have to be for an evacuation?
    How major were you thinking? "tsunami strikes Rivers of America" major, or just "send the Pluto suit to the cleaners" major?

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

No matter the magnitude, all the attractions are evacuated and closed for inspection for any damages. Once it's safe, they reopen.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Well, we were going to Disneyland before. As we were walking in I noticed a strange silence and many people walking the opposite way of Disneyland. Well, we all thought this was strange but continued into Disneyland anyways. They let us in no problem and then we saw a line going into Town Hall that was past the castle! My mom politely asked someone in line why there was a huge line and the lady responded "Oh? There was a 4.6 earthquake. We are all getting ticket refunds. All the rides are shutdown" We were very surprised no CM's told us! We were about thirty minutes away from Disneyland when the earthquake occured, my mom thought we felt an earthquake but figured it was just a bump in the road.

All the rides had to be evacuated and checked on to make sure no damage occured before they opened back up. Rides slowly began opening up through out the day. The slower rides seemed to open up quicker than rides like Indiana Jones.
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Keep Moving Forward

We had a pretty major earthquake last summer - 5.something on the Richter scale. While it didn't shut the park down, all the rides closed immediately for safety inspections. But all in all it wasn't a huge deal. Though a couple of rides stayed down for most of the day, everything else was back up within a couple of hours. The earthquake did wreck havoc on our Fastpass line at Splash Mountain, though. I showed up for work a few hours after the fact and the line was out the barn doors, which translates into a 20-30 minute wait to get "right on". My guess is everyone on a ride at the time of the quake got a re-ad, and they all decided to use them at Splash Mountain.
    Interested in visions fantastic of Disneyland?
    Check out my albums on Flickr by clicking here!

• Shablagoo!

After the Landers/Big Bear quake they were able to open the park. Only the SkyWay and Submarines were still closed. When we get the search feature back I will have to look up my trip report from that adventure for more details.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    After the Landers/Big Bear quake they were able to open the park. Only the SkyWay and Submarines were still closed. When we get the search feature back I will have to look up my trip report from that adventure for more details.
    Trip Report??? Wasn't that earthquake in June of 1992? Micechat wasn't even around let alone the web as we know it today.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Yeah, after a quake every attraction is evac'd and closed until it can be inspected by an engineer. Once the engineering team gives the go-ahead, it will re-open. The park doesn't close. (Of course, this is not the case if it's a San Francisco size quake and stuff is falling over, but that's obviously extremely rare and not the focus of the OP). I was working City Hall when we had the 5.whatever quake last summer, and MAN was it a crazy day! Our line made it all the way to the HUB!
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dogtherock View Post
    1. What happens at Disneyland after a major earthquake?
    2. How long is the park closed for?
    3. What magnitude does it have to be for an evacuation?
    4. I'm not a local so I was just wondering.
    1. Aftershocks, usually.
    2. Depends on proximity and severity. Park is not usually closed, though attractions are closed and inspected, as things (like ceilings) can drop onto tracks and such.
    3. Again, evacuation of the whole park is hardly ever necessary, but, again, it depends on location. Some 7.0 in the Salton Sea area (150 miles southeast) won't even be felt. Most of DL is outdoors. Interiors might be evacuated, for the same reason as above.
    4. Yes, this is obvious. As a former non-local, I was once anxious of the always unpredictable shaker. Now, as a long-time resident, I do as everyone else around here does: estimate the location and the magnitude, then go about my business.

Whatever post-quake precautions are done are mainly for the safety of the guests and of Disney's bottom line (preventing lawsuits, doing whatever procedures are necesssary to lessen their impact).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I read the news today...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    No matter the magnitude, all the attractions are evacuated and closed for inspection for any damages. Once it's safe, they reopen.
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! I guess I'm just used to all the earthquakes in my area. There's a little 1 to 2 magnitude shaker at my house fairly often, so I didn't think that would be cause for concern. Living 2 miles from the San Andreas Fault Line makes things interesting, especially when it feels like a huge truck just drove by but you only hear silence outside.
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by rajbonham View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! I guess I'm just used to all the earthquakes in my area. There's a little 1 to 2 magnitude shaker at my house fairly often, so I didn't think that would be cause for concern. Living 2 miles from the San Andreas Fault Line makes things interesting, especially when it feels like a huge truck just drove by but you only hear silence outside.
    You're not the only one who is 1-2 miles away from a major fault. Disneyland is too. And while the "big one" on the San Andreas would be devastating to Southern California, a 6 or 7 on one of the many faults that run through LA and OC can be just as devastating.

And every day in the LA and OC is too, are microquakes which barely register above a 1 or 3 on the Richter Scale.

• Senior Minion

To get an idea how many earthquakes there are in California, check the USGS Recent Earthquakes map.

The vast majority of them are too small to be felt.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• "I Break Things"

For anyone who is not a local what happens immediately after an earthquake is the ground stops shaking and most people who have never felt an earthquake need a change of shorts...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I believe there are 'quake sensors' on the rides which signal a shut-down if shaking above a certain level is felt. Those rides then stay shut down until they are inspected and approved for operation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast