Sleeping Beauty's Castle

My husband and I cannot seem to remember, what is inside Sleeping Beauty's castle? I think I remember just walking through a tunnel or something but we haven't spent alot of time in Disneyland and it has been a while.

• Sock Puppet

Re: Sleeping Beauty's Castle

There is the re-vamped walk-though that opened back up recently.

It is well worth the time to walk through and enjoy it.

Someone just posted some recent pics of it in a trip report. Hopefully someone will chime in and point you in that direction...

• Banned User

Laser tag game field.

• Minion

recently went thru the new sleeping beauty walkthru..i was a little upset it wasnt gonna be like the origional but it actually was pretty cool, you have to wait a few secs for the videos to cycle thrugh and the addition of the evil queens shadow near the end made me jump,i saw it at first thrugh the corner of my eye, just a really cool experience all the way around.if you never had the original to walk thru, you cant compare but if youhave seen the new version in this case you cant miss what you never had..

• Future Indy Castmember

Yep, the walkthrough inside the castle reopened last year during the holiday season.

It first opened in 1957 and then was remade with dolls in the 70's. The walkthrough was closed in 2001 amid heavy rumors that the closure was a result of 9/11.

The new walkthrough brought back the original displays from 1957, now enhanced with modern technology. The corridor of goons is completley different now. There is a new scene added which involves Malificent transfroming to her dragon incarnation.

The new Sleeping Beauty DVD includes a virtual walkthrough which is based on the original walkthrough.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• A Weather Eye Open

It used to be that my answer to the question "what's inside the castle?" was "feral cats". I'm glad there's a better answer now! The walk through is lovely.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Senior Monorail Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    Yep, the walkthrough inside the castle reopened last year during the holiday season.

It first opened in 1957 and then was remade with dolls in the 70's. The walkthrough was closed in 2001 amid heavy rumors that the closure was a result of 9/11.

The new walkthrough brought back the original displays from 1957, now enhanced with modern technology. The corridor of goons is completley different now. There is a new scene added which involves Malificent transfroming to her dragon incarnation.

The new Sleeping Beauty DVD includes a virtual walkthrough which is based on the original walkthrough.
    Actually, it brought back scenes iINSPIRED by the originals, but did not bring back THE original 1957 scenes
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Minion

is it a very crowded walkthrough just seems that you would have to naviagate tight corridors and walkways???
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    is it a very crowded walkthrough just seems that you would have to naviagate tight corridors and walkways???
    If you're asking if it feels cramped and narrow inside, the answer is no. The stairs and hallways are not super-wide, but neither are they narrow or claustrophobic feeling.

To the OP's question, you walk past a series of windows behind which you see recreations of scenes from Sleeping Beauty. A large storybook is open beside each window, telling the story of the scene. Music from the film's soundtrack is all around you, and the scenes have animated effects. Overall it's charming and really beautiful.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Walt's frozen head.

All kidding aside, the revamped Sleeping Beauty diorama walkthrough looks really awesome from the pics and videos I've seen. They pretty much recreated the original version that was there from the late 50's through the 70's, before they changed it to the creepy doll version.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Walt's frozen head.

All kidding aside, the revamped Sleeping Beauty diorama walkthrough looks really awesome from the pics and videos I've seen. They pretty much recreated the original version that was there from the late 50's through the 70's, before they changed it to the creepy doll version.
    yeah the doll version was kinda creepy..cool to look at but creepy..in that puppetmaster kind of way . the new walk thru is much better, and its best to go thru it at night its not very crowded , most people the last hour just want to go home..so you can slip uo the stairs and enjoy

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

the original press release:

Disneyland Prepares to Open
    Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough

July 17, 2008 - Anaheim, CA - The interior of Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland will open in time for the December holiday season, offering guests a “reawakened” version of its classic walkthrough presentation kissed with vibrant scenes of Aurora, her charming prince, the evil Maleficent and other characters from the beloved fairy tale film.

“It is fitting that we are announcing the return of a classic on the 53rd anniversary of Disneyland,” said Tony Baxter, Senior Vice President of Creative Development for Walt Disney Imagineering, who unveiled a model of the castle on July 17, the birthday of Disneyland park.

Next year marks the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney’s “Sleeping Beauty,” and the excitement generated by the anniversary of the motion picture spurred interest in the return of the Disneyland attraction.

Also celebrating the milestone 50th Anniversary of “Sleeping Beauty” is Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, which will release a two-disc Platinum Blu-ray™ Hi-Def disc, making “Sleeping Beauty” the first Walt Disney animated classic title to be released in high definition, as well as on two-disc Platinum DVD. A bonus feature on the new release will be “The Original Sleeping Beauty Walk-Through Attraction With Walt Disney Imagineering,” an immersive experience recreating the original castle walkthrough.

On April 29, 1957, nearly two years before the premiere of Walt Disney’s animated feature “Sleeping Beauty,” the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough opened with an in-park ceremony featuring Walt Disney and actress Shirley Temple who, some 20 years earlier, had presented Disney with his special Academy Award – one Oscar and seven little ones – for “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.”

The crafting of the 1957 walkthrough show fell to Walt Disney Imagineer Ken Anderson and animation art director and color stylist Eyvind Earle, credited with giving the motion picture “Sleeping Beauty” the distinctive and colorful look of storybook illustrations in medieval style. An entirely new look appeared in 1977 when the attraction’s redesign featured miniature dioramas, including moving figurines similar to the window displays in the shops on Main Street, U.S.A.

When the attraction is unveiled later this year, the “show” will differ from the dioramas of the 1980s and ‘90s, returning to the unique style of the original 1957 show and motion picture. Enhanced with new scenes and special effects magic, the re-Imagineered attraction will employ technology not available in the 1950s to represent scenes from the story of Sleeping Beauty, including the magic of good fairies Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, and the more sinister spells of the evil Maleficent.

For the first time, guests who are unable to climb stairs or navigate the passageways of the Castle will be able to experience the walkthrough “virtually” in a special room on the ground floor of the Castle.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Thanks for the info. Sounds fantastic!! I am now glad that I didn't see the previous, inferior version. Now My husband and I can enjoy the new/old and improved version, for the first time, with our six year old son. I am so excited! Only two days to go!!

• Senior Minion

A suggestion for your visit -- the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthru is especially enchanting at night.

Fantasyland itself is very magical in the evening; going into the Castle then feels like entering a fantasy-within-a-fantasy. Leaving the walkthru and emerging into the sights and sounds of Fantasyland-at-night... well, it's just very special.

You won't lose anything visiting it in the daytime, but at night you get an additional wave of that special stuff called pure Disney magic -- the real thing.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler