Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

The clam chowder costs HOW much?!

The former Thrillmountain site says that Cafe Orleans now charges 7.99 for a chowder in a breadbowl:

http://www.dldhistory.com/list.asp?T...ort=Menu&Dir=A

That annoys me greatly. In 1987, when I hired in, the thing cost 2.95 before tax, or $3.13 after tax. My pay as a CT was $4.50 per hour that year. Thus, I would have to work 39 minutes to be able to "pay off" a chowder.

If the same were to be true today, a new hire at Cafe Orleans would have to be making $12.29 per hour, if he were to be able to "pay off" a chowder in just 39 minutes of work. I don't know what a new hire presently earns, but I'm betting it's far short of $12.29/hour.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Classic Animation

The Harbor House at the MK in WDW charges the same as it has for the chowder but took away the bread bowl. Not quite the same in black plastic.

• MiceAge Columnist

Sure, but $4.99 is a lot better than 7.99!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• that's right!

The gumbo is the same price, right? In my opinion it's some of the best food in the parks so I'm happy to pay it.

• Disneyland Freak

I don't think it's so much a matter of how much the CMs are getting paid but how much the clam chowder costs!
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    I don't think it's so much a matter of how much the CMs are getting paid but how much the clam chowder costs!
    it doesn't cost that much to make clam chowder. especially when they buy everything in bulk. I'm thinking they have about a 75% mark up in their soup. Didn't it use to be $6.99 last year?

• Man O Lantern

Yes, it was $6.99 a year ago and it has jumped in price this year.

Now they don't even warm up the bread bowl before they serve the gumbo or the clam chowder.

I've always been a HUGE fan of the "steak" gumbo, but on our last visit in December, I didn't get a single piece of meat in my steak gumbo (my husband got one piece of meat), no clams in my daughter's chowder and our bread bowls were cold and chewy. They sucked in every way possible, including the increased price. Will never order either of them again. It broke my heart a little.....used to be a sure thing and a lot of bang for the buck, now there is hardly any soup in the bread bowl. It's ALL bread now!!!

Last edited by stinkerbell; 02-27-2005 at 02:31 PM.

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    The former Thrillmountain site says that Cafe Orleans now charges 7.99 for a chowder in a breadbowl:

http://www.dldhistory.com/list.asp?T...ort=Menu&Dir=A

That annoys me greatly. In 1987, when I hired in, the thing cost 2.95 before tax, or $3.13 after tax. My pay as a CT was $4.50 per hour that year. Thus, I would have to work 39 minutes to be able to "pay off" a chowder.

If the same were to be true today, a new hire at Cafe Orleans would have to be making $12.29 per hour, if he were to be able to "pay off" a chowder in just 39 minutes of work. I don't know what a new hire presently earns, but I'm betting it's far short of $12.29/hour.

I believe new food cast members are starting at 7-8 dollars per hour
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    Yes, it was $6.99 a year ago and it has jumped in price this year.

Now they don't even warm up the bread bowl before they serve the gumbo or the clam chowder.

I've always been a HUGE fan of the "steak" gumbo, but on our last visit in December, I didn't get a single piece of meat in my steak gumbo (my husband got one piece of meat), no clams in my daughter's chowder and our bread bowls were cold and chewy. They sucked in every way possible, including the increased price. Will never order either of them again. It broke my heart a little.....used to be a sure thing and a lot of bang for the buck, now there is hardly any soup in the bread bowl. It's ALL bread now!!!

The soup in the bread bowls is way better at DCA. The bread is fresh. The DL bread bowls are always chewy and stale now..

• Disneyland Freak

I would think that the bread comes from DCA since they have their own bakery now...
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Minion

I don't like the "gumbo" at Disneyland. I think that's because my Dad is from Louisiana, and I've eaten quite a few bowls of gumbo in my life! But I like the bread!

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    Uh,....does that come with a pants-down spankin'?

My god!!
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    I would think that the bread comes from DCA since they have their own bakery now...
    It does. And I Looooooove that Boudin Sourdough. But I'm told they're pre-cutting the bread for "portion control" now - meaning the PHB managers thought they were cutting them too big and serving too much soup/gumbo by filling up the oversized hole. So now they make a tiny cut and give you two drops of soup. This is progress?

Order the bread boule dry and the soup in a cup, then you can rip and dunk your bread... Much neater to deal with, and better portions (for us).

--<< Bruce >>--

• All you need is LOVE

i love it and thanks for the tip.I have gone there just for the chowder and gone home.I live down street from there.

• Banned User

The clam chowder is worth 7.99. It is probably the best thing in the whole park. Always get it at DCA though cause the bread is fresh from the oven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast