Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why is there not any restaurants as unique as Blue Bayou in DLR?

So as I am planning my B-day dinner this year I have realized that there isn't any unique restaurants like the Blue Bayou in DLR. Now I like some other resturants like steakhouse 55, napa rose, EL Country Trataiksdfsnskv... but nothing has the look and feel of the Blue Bayou. I just love the experiance. So my questions are:

Why are there not more restaurants with the decor at the level of Blue Bayou in DLR?

What is your idea of a Blue Bayou level decorred restaurant at the DLR and where exactly would it be?

For me, I would love a Brown Derby restaurant in hollywood land. But their would be something special about it. When you look out the windows (Yes, I am not sure if the real BD had restuarants) you would see 1950s hollywood. This can be done in CG and you would see classic cars and people dressed in that style outside. You can have the annoucement of Disneyland overheard on a telivision store accross the street. Fake CG celibreties can walk right by you. Similar to the restaurant in one of the Disney ships you can have the whole room appear to go into black and white at times including the CG images outside.

I know this resturant doesn't work in the 1920s but the story could be flexable that this corner is hollywood in teh 1950s.

Re: Why is there not any restaurants as unique as Blue Bayou in DLR?

I would assume that there aren't any other Blue Bayou-like places to eat as a way of maintaining the uniqueness of the resturant at the park. You can eat anywhere at the park, but there is only one Blue Bayou.
    Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
    1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
    1990, 1992, 1993
    2006, 2007, 2009
    2010, 2011, 2014

Walt Disney World
    2000, 2001

The first thing I thought of, after reading the post, is that the blue bayou is one thing-EXPENSIVE!!!It's a great experience, but disney also needs to offer certain food places to accommodate certain price ranges. As for originality, I think that the golden horseshoe is great, as well as Ariel's Grotto over in CA.
    But, I think disney is working on their food selections. They are going to build unique dining experiences in Cars land (drive-in theater, ect) As for disneyland, well, we'll see.
    Here some ideas to offer unique experiences:
    1. In the forest area in DCA, build a national park type thing, where guests would sit at picnic tables or even on blankets.Servers, or park rangers would come by and accept the orders. The best part: Everyone gets their food in the form of picnic baskets. All the food would be "nature" themed (ants on a log, mud pie,smores, etc.). Hopefully disney would pull it off without it looking cheap (I'm looking at you "celebration party" over in frontier land)!!!
    2. In TOT or Haunted mansion, build a haunted restaurant. I think this was mentioned in other posts.
    3. I think tomorrow land should make their restaurants more futuristic looking. With computers to take food orders.
    4. I've always liked the restaurant on the disney cruise, where everything would start in black and white and change colors as the night progresses.
    that's it!

Oh how I love smiles!

• Minion

i agree tht the blue bayou is expensive.. i think there should be a themed resturant in each land .. a good one for tommorowland should have that(dont shoot me) star wars creature cantina look..filled with amimatronic aliens (ala rain forest cafe)

Do they have room to put a real restaurant on TS Island? Or would that be too hard since Fantasmic is shown from there?

A haunted restaurant is a great idea...

Why couldn't they develop a restaurant/show of some sort and use the Tahitian Terrace area (or is that in use or plan for something else?) It wouldn't have to involve sitting everyone at one time...it could operate a bit more like Morrocan restaurant at WDW where people get sat at different times, but there are 15 minute shows at various times throughout the day (at least I think the belly dancer shows were for 15 minutes.)

• The Prince

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    i agree tht the blue bayou is expensive.. i think there should be a themed resturant in each land .. a good one for tommorowland should have that(dont shoot me) star wars creature cantina look..filled with amimatronic aliens (ala rain forest cafe)
    I like the idea of having Tatooine Mos Eisley Cantina with animatronic Biths playing Disney/Star Wars tunes.

Blue Bayou is worth it, I have dine in twice this year and it makes a perfect place to celebrate a romantic anniversary or any occasion. Yes it is expensive but once in a while doesn't hurt unless you got a big familiy to feed then be ready for the big check. The avarage meal is at least $30 plus the drink and the tip. Cafe Orleans may share some same dishes for bit less but it's all about the experience in Blue Bayou.

Having a unique theme restaurant in each land is a great idea but they should be affordable. Take an example of Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, they started with high prices and because the prices didn't attract much of the guests, the prices were lowered and cut face character appearances. Still on my recent trips it doesn't seem to be much busy there.

• Senior Minion

Why not just re-open the Tahitian Terrace restaurant? Great food, reasonably priced, and great atmosphere. It was always packin' 'em in... until TDA decided to squeeze the golden goose by synergizing it with the Aladdin franchise -- and then shut it down.

But there's little chance of it reopening. Not unless TDA can figure what Pixar characters to theme it around, how close to $40 they can push the price, and where they could build a gift shop at the exit. =P

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I like the haunted restaurant idea! Good ideas guys!
    Paid Disneyland Poster

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by caligirl09 View Post
    1. In the forest area in DCA, build a national park type thing, where guests would sit at picnic tables or even on blankets.Servers, or park rangers would come by and accept the orders. The best part: Everyone gets their food in the form of picnic baskets. All the food would be "nature" themed (ants on a log, mud pie,smores, etc.). Hopefully disney would pull it off without it looking cheap (I'm looking at you "celebration party" over in frontier land)!!!
    Love this idea! DCA really needs a wonderfully themed restaurant more than Disneyland needs another, IMO. I had a similar idea, it would be a treehouse-type restaurant built around a sequoia, with canopies and stairs for each table.

• FastPass n00b

Tahitian Terrace needs to be brought back... I'm just scared of the modern Disney mindset of forced Pixar theming and cartoony nonsense everywhere. The realistic Tahitian show couldn't be brought back the way they think nowadays. It would be some corny Lilo and Stitch show instead. I REALLY want the old, realistic show back!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Well, there used to be "Soap Opera Cafe" in the Hollywood area in DCA. That was definitely unique ~ but failed for a few reasons, mostly a limited appeal to only abc soap opera fans, the high prices, and the restaurant overcrowding in DCA from opening day. Another somewhat unique eating area was Hollywood and Dine - great variety of food, a more reasonable price, But stuck way in the corner where few ventured.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    Tahitian Terrace needs to be brought back... I'm just scared of the modern Disney mindset of forced Pixar theming and cartoony nonsense everywhere. The realistic Tahitian show couldn't be brought back the way they think nowadays. It would be some corny Lilo and Stitch show instead. I REALLY want the old, realistic show back!
    For years, it couldn't have been brought back because the Pavillion Central Kitchen (which used to support it was well as the Plaza Pavillion) had to be totally rebuilt virtually from the ground, up. Now that it has been, there's one less obstacle in the way it seems to me. In its prime, the Terrace was a magnificently themed restaurant for Adventureland.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Well, there used to be "Soap Opera Cafe" in the Hollywood area in DCA. That was definitely unique ~ but failed for a few reasons, mostly a limited appeal to only abc soap opera fans, the high prices, and the restaurant overcrowding in DCA from opening day. Another somewhat unique eating area was Hollywood and Dine - great variety of food, a more reasonable price, But stuck way in the corner where few ventured.
    Plus the food at Hollywood dine sucked compared to many other resturants at Disneyland. Was a huge disapointment when I had first eaten there, felt and tasted like mall food which is sad cause even most malls have better tasting food.
    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13...

• Yeti Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    They perceive there's no market for a realistic Tahitian floor show anymore. They're so stuck in synergizing with the present, they fail to realize that much of their business at Disneyland is based largely on visitors seeking a nostalgia fix. A new Tahitian Terrace (if done right) would be just as popular as the old restaurant.

Ideally, every land should have its own sit-down restaurant with waiters and good food. I don't have ideas for all of the lands, but Tomorrowland should have some Shag inspired lounge environment built up high with windows overlooking everything. Call it "The Space Bar" after the old Tomorrowland eatery and fill it with Venus flytraps and have waiters dressed in spacesuits.

Tucson, Arizona, but I wish I was in Philly, PA

Well I wish they would have finalized the plans to build a restaurant in the Haunted Mansion. I forget what it was supposed to be called, but it was cancelled after Walt Disney's Death.

I will be at DisneyWorld on April 29, 2011-May 4, 2011. If You Are Going The Same Time Message Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast