Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disneyland or Disney World?

This is much in advance as my family is not planning on going on our vacation until March 2010. But we are kind of stuck on which park to visit? Our children are 9, 7, & 5. We can afford a 6 night stay at either of the parks (we are staying in the park), but DL is a little cheaper. We can also drive to DL opposed to flying 5 people to DW. I have only been to DW as a child so I am not sure of the differences between the 2 parks. Which do you think my children would enjoy more? Would DW be too overwhelming? Also, which hotels at each place is the best? We are looking to stay at a moderate resort.

Re: Disneyland or Disney World?

If you can have 4 full Days, do Disney World. As a Resort vs, Resort comparison there is no competition. There is just so much to do at disney world. However because you can drive to Disneyland, You may want to limit this trip to Disneyland and DCA and save some movie. For their first trip they will love it and there is so much to see at both park. Also, in many people's opinion, Disneyland park (the actual park) is the best them park in the United States. It has so much history.

My advice is go do a Disneyland trip next year and get your kids familiar to the rides and the parks. If they loved it plan a 2011 or 2012 trip to Walt Disney World. Just know what ever time you plan to spend at disney land times that by three for Walt Disney World. The parks there are much bigger and there are 4 of them. The experiance is jsut very different.

ALso just know there are cheap hotels at Walt Disney World on property, let me know if you have any questions, but the plane flight will be atleast $300-$400 per person from Cali

• Banned User

A 2012 trip to DCA will be a lot better because DCA will be completed with its expansion. It will be very cool. Maybe do WDW 2010 and Disneyland/DCA 2012.
    Last edited by stevo505; 08-13-2009 at 01:02 PM.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Disneyland! Disneyland! Disneyland! Sorry, I've grown up with Disneyland so my opinion will always be Disneyland. I went to WDW in December and I personally found Disneyland more magical. I think your kids will enjoy Disneyland better. They probably wouldn't be able to understand Epcot or Hollywood Studios. Most of the fun rides there are for people over 48 inches too. Disneyland is just soooo fun and magical. I think your kids will defintely appreciate Disneyland way more. WDW reminds me of a big junk yard....no offense! It's just not as good as Disneyland and I hate the stupid layout of the MK there. Disneyland is way more Disney. DCA is currently undergoing a huge rehab that won't be completed for many more years but I don't think that should stop your stay and I don't think it will really efect your stay. Most of the rides that are shut down in DCA currently are the carnival type rides, not the family fun type. I definitely recommened Disneyland and DCA and this is coming from a kids point of view (I'm pretty young. Just a few years older than your oldest child) WDW does have more to do, but it's not anything you can completely enjoy or understand until your older
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Seasick

The poor economy has resulted in better deals at WDW than usual, and they're being offered at times not traditionally available in the past. If you can get one of the deals (free days, free dining, etc.) I'd consider WDW for 2010 as those same deals may not be around come 2012 or whenever.

If you only care about the rides, either destination is a good choice imo. If you want a more relaxing, more immersive, more "magical" vacation, then I'd go to WDW. Disneyland may be the best theme park out of all the different choices, but staying on property in WDW, completely shut off from the outside world, is a great feeling.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    A 2012 trip to DCA will be a lot better because DCA will be completed with its expansion. It will be very cool. Maybe do WDW 2010 amd Disneyland/DCA 2012.
    Great point, yeah I totally AGREE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    The poor economy has resulted in better deals at WDW than usual, and they're being offered at times not traditionally available in the past. If you can get one of the deals (free days, free dining, etc.) I'd consider WDW for 2010 as those same deals may not be around come 2012 or whenever.

If you only care about the rides, either destination is a good choice imo. If you want a more relaxing, more immersive, more "magical" vacation, then I'd go to WDW.
    Also there are rumors of WDW doing another 7 for 4 deal pomotion late winter next year. This can save you a LOT of money.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Oh, and DW could defintely get overwhelming for kids and there is not a lot of Disney in some of the WDW parks. Also, a good hotel to stay at in Disneyland is the Disneyland Hotel. It's good to look ahead of time when pices ae cheapest. I've never stay at the Grand Californian (it's pretty expensive), but I've heard it's nice. We use to stay in the Paradise Pier hotel like 14 years ago (I don't remember though because I was baby) and apparently it's not the greatest. We usually stay off property in a Hilton or Marriot or something but the Disneyland Hotel is really awesome too if you are able to get a room
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    Oh, and DW could defintely get overwhelming for kids and there is not a lot of Disney in some of the WDW parks.
    Not sure what Walt Disney World parks don't have a lot of "Disney" in them. I think all the parks can be enjoyed by kids and adults and are very Disney. If you have the time, and money, I would say go to Disney World. Especially if you haven't been since you were a kid. There have been many changes since you were there last. Also, as much as I love Disneyland, as a whole, Walt Disney World has more to offer and it just a great experience for kids. Even when I go back to WDW as an adult I still remember walking the streets with my parents when I was younger. Come to Disneyland/DCA in a couple of years when many of the upgrades have been done.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Here's my honest unbiased opinion:

Disneyland for the ease of it and for these reasons:

-You can drive there which is cheaper.

-If you have a car, you can even stay off disney property for an even better value (if you wanted).

-You don't need to do Disneyland Resort for the entire length of your stay. You can do 3-4 full days at Disneyland resort and have a great time on property. The other days you can use to explore the rest of what Southern California has to offer.

-You've never been to Disneyland

-Park hopping at disneyland requires 1 minute of your walking time. Park hopping at Disney World may take half an hour to 45 minutes between parks.

-Disneyland has two parks vs WDW's four, but there's pro's to that too. If you count it on attractions alone, WDW maybe has 12-13 more attractions than Disneyland Resort. That's not a whole lot considering how much they charge per day. (it also means less need to park hop)

-2010 is Disneyland's 55th anniversary, a major milestone for Walt's original park.

Shall I continue?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I know of at least one person who refuses to go to WDW simply because park hopping can take so much time and effort.

Especially with children, the DLR is much more compact and if you need to go back to the hotel for a rest it is never that far away.

• Minion

Disneyland in my opinion! Disneyland they will enjoy so much better then the magic Kingdom in my opinion.

• back in Austin

I haven't been to WDW recently enough to have an informed opinion.

If you go to DL, however, the Candy Cane Inn and the Howard Johnson's (both on Harbor) get good reviews and are both relatively inexpensive and close to the front gates.

Talking Re: Disneyland or Disney World?

Thank you all so very much for your opinions. I really do like the idea of going to DW in 2010 and then DL in 2012 when the updates are done. I didn't know they were expanding. That is a really good idea. I also want to thank the younger people who offered their opinion since we are really going for the kids (mostly anyway). I think our decision at this point is going to based on how much time my husband is willing to take off work and what kind of deals we can get. I am excited either way! I can't wait. Thanks again

I say Disneyland. It's is much closer.

Also, I have found that all of the major rides at WDW can be found at both parks.

BTMRR-can be found at DL
    Splash-can be fopund at DL
    Space-can be found at DL
    Soarin'-can be found at DCA
    TOT-can be found at DCA
    Rock and rollercoaster- can be found at DCA (California Screamin' is also much better)
    TSMM- can be found at DCA
    DINOSAUR-can be found at DL (Indy is much better)
    Expedition Everest- I think it compares to the Matterhorn which is better
    Khali River Rapids- GRR is much better at DCA
    Only Test Track, Mission:Space, the Safari, and SSE can only be found at WDW
    Also, I have found that you can get many more characters and autographs at DL. At WDW, I have found huges lines just waiting for Pluto.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast