Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Billy Hill just entertainment, or is it dining/entertainment?

I'm looking at the Disneyland schedule for 9/18 and 9/19 and there are multiple showings of Billy Hill at the Golden Horseshoe.

Is this just entertainment, or is it one of those combined dining and entertainment events? Is there a price for admission?

Re: Is Billy Hill just entertainment, or is it dining/entertainment?

You can get into the house for free. Off to the side is where you can buy things like Mozarella sticks or Chicken Nuggets after you have picked a seat. Or, you can just come in, pick a seat, and not buy anything if you want to.

•   

It can be either.
    You can just come in (for free) to enjoy the show (seating is very limited, get there early) or you can get a bite to eat while waiting for the show to start. Finger food mostly and ice cream sundaes.
    The show is highly recommended if never seen, and they change it up a bit so you don't always see the same show...

• Sock Puppet

Yeah, it is one of the "don't miss" shows on our list every trip!

Since we will be taking up a table during their performance, we always get some snacks (even if they are just a soda or water) from inside the place to enjoy while we watch the show. We consider it our way of supporting the show (as well as buying their DVD).

Enjoy!

I guess you could consider it plainly entertainment; but atleast everytime we go to the park we make it a point to get something to eat in there intime to watch and enjoy the show.

You dont have to pay to watch the show just get there in time to get a seat. Food purchase is purely optional.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

There is no price for admission other than the actual cost to get into Disneyland. You have the option to buy food inside but it's not necessary. They sell drinks to sip on during the show if you wish along with food: root beer floats there are really good.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Special Agent

I wish that they would make this a dinner show only and force people to pay to see the show. Everytime I go to see it, there's never any place to sit and NO ONE is getting any food. I feel bad for the people who wait 20 minutes to get food with no place to eat it.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I wish that they would make this a dinner show only and force people to pay to see the show. Everytime I go to see it, there's never any place to sit and NO ONE is getting any food. I feel bad for the people who wait 20 minutes to get food with no place to eat it.

I agree!

That is why we support the show by buying stuff from inside the place to enjoy during the show. More people should do the same!

I could not sit at a table without buying something, while watching a family wander around with trays of food that is getting cold because all of the tables have been taken by folks just there to watch the show. They have seats around the edges for those folks. Or they could just stand. But hey, that's just me...

Maybe the financially non-supporting (non-eating) people could all go upstairs and leave the ground floor tables for the patrons of the food service counter???

Leave the lower tables for the folks that want to enjoy a meal during the show!

Otherwise, if enough folks don't support the food service, then the show just might disappear! Billy doesn't do this for fun, you know...

But then again, (some) people being people, they don't give a hoot about others. They just want themselves to be happy.

Sad to say...
    Last edited by OldSchoolMickey; 08-14-2009 at 02:10 PM.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

If you want a seat up near the front you need to be there early or come in at the end of one show and swoop in as people leave. But then that means waiting awhile for the next show. If you want something to eat, it is best to get your seat first or have someone save your seat. Unfortunately service at the counter is very slow. I do not fault the servers (well, except for one guy but that's a separate story). It has something to do with the way things are run, haven't quite figured out where the problem lies. I like the chocolate chip mint sundae the best I do suggest getting something, even if only a drink, because I'm positive that management looks at that kind of stuff - is this group bringing in the business? Not that you could tell by my profile photo or signature, but I'm really partial to the Billies. Bestest show there, IMHO.

• A Weather Eye Open

I don't think that buying food at the show directly supports the Billies. However, I'm sure that if the suits saw a marked increase in sales on the days they were selling, they'll ensure the Billies are pretty safe from more entertainment budget cuts. Golden Horseshoe and stage door usually have lines, so I'm not sure that the food sales go up just cause there's a show; if anything it might go down because they don't sell inside DURING the show, and people will avoid the place if there's a crowd.

Usually Golden Horseshoe is one of my choice eateries anyway; I love the chicken there, and it's large enough to split with my sis and still feel full, so it's a great deal. The Disneyland fries come with it, and are amazing! We enjoy the fish and chips as well. The sundaes are good; it's the perfect place to go when you want ice cream but there's a line at Gibson Girl (as always), because it's less of a wait, there's great toppings to choose from, and I suspect it's a little bit cheaper too! So often if I'm going to watch the Billies, I try to pick a showtime when my tummy wants food!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• DLR Cast Member

I'd eat there if they upgraded the food a little. I used to get the chicken strips pretty often, but after they downgraded to chicken nuggets (at the same price) I quit ordering food. I don't do ice cream - if I did it would be great - the sundaes look wonderful.

Wait Billy Hill and The Hillbilles are back? I thought they had stopped that show in Jan.?
    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13...

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit View Post
    Wait Billy Hill and The Hillbilles are back? I thought they had stopped that show in Jan.?
    The Billies never left. Entertainment did make budget cuts, though (boo, hiss). There were three teams of Billies - Blue, Gold and Green. The Blue team and Gold team is headed by Kirk Wall aka Billy Elvis. The Green team was headed by John Eaden aka Little John. When they cut the show back from 7 to 5 days a week, the Green Team was cut. Their final show was the end of January. John Eaden still works for Disney as part of Laughing Stock and still subs for Kirk Wall. As a matter of fact he has subbed the last couple of Saturdays and when he subs it is basically the old Green Team show. Also as a side note, several of the Billies also sub/play with the Miner 49ers over in DCA.

If you really miss the Green Team they can still be found performing at the All American Melodrama Theater at Shoreline Village in Long Beach the second Wednesday of every month. Price of admission is $10. They will not be performing in September, though. Also as a special added attraction one of the former Billies, Evan Marshall, is back playing with them at this venue. He was (and still is) famous for his mandolin playing. Best known for doing the Billy Tell Overture. What is great about this show is instead of only 30 minutes you get them from 8 to 10 with an intermission. And food, soft drinks and beer is sold there. They can also say and do things (nothing bad mind you) that they are not allowed to do at Disneyland. The last two performances have been well attended. It is mostly by word of mouth by us Billy fans.

Kirk Wall to me will always be the funniest lead Billy. The first time I saw him and all the times after that, he really added that special touch. A true natural on stage. Now I never have cared for John Eaden as the lead Hill Billy, but thats because I first saw Kirk Wall perform it. I wish i lived closer to see them in Long Beach. thx for the info.
    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13...

• Animation Domination

I love Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago. Recently I haven't seen it because I usually forget about watching it. I go on rides in the morning and forget about Billy Hill. That won't happen on my next trip.
    "You are watching FOX"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast