Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58
  1. #1

    • Don't Mess With The Duck!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, California - USA
    Posts
    3,644

    Lightbulb Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    Last night before I went to bed I had a random thought about Tomorrowland and its pretty sad current state. We know something should be done with the former PeopleMover tracks. We've read about Star Tours getting a facelift sometime in the near future.

    This brings me to an idea I had for when Tomorrowland "goes under the knife". I got to thinking about how cool an all-new, digital Disney planetarium would be for Tomorrowland. There could be different shows cycled out throughout the year as happens at many planetariums. This would keep the attraction fresh and "new" throughout many, many years. The seats could even have slight motion to them for when they'd zoom through the cosmos and galaxies of the universe.

    This planetarium in Spain could definately be the inspiration for how the outside of said new planetarium could look.

    What do you all think?

    <Joe>

  2. #2

    • Future theatre actress <3
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Where the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake
    Posts
    5,247

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    I like that idea that would be sooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

    AEROSMITH FTWW!

  3. #3

    • Gateway Fantasmic!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    342

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    That is so smart! I can't believe no one has said that yet! Bye bye Inoventions! Hello space!
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

    SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

    Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

  4. #4

    • Mouseketeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    State of Insanity
    Posts
    438

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    Yes. I've always thought there should be a planetarium in tomorrowland. It just fits. If Disney could get some Pixar level cgi in there, it could truly be amazing.

    One thing...Disney would have to come up with a better way to arrange seats. All the planetariums I've been in have had nearly half the seats be a pain in the neck, literally.

    Multiple shows would be great, too.

  5. #5

    • Faerie Godmother
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Fernando Valley
    Posts
    736

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    Yes! What an awesome idea! Bring the wonders of the cosmos back to Tomorrowland! Quacky, you're a genius!

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    visalia ca
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    this would be cool...and innoventions or the magic eye would be perfect for this, the magic eye might have an edge because they can house spfx..innoventions would take a while to gut...but i do love the idea

  7. #7

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    I think this could be very cool, but it would truly need to be more than a run-of-the-mill planetarium. There are so many fantastic sights to see in the universe, and it'd be nice if the entire planetarium would zoom in to those areas using a combination of CGI and real photography. Making the whole thing a 3D experience would be nice. Of course, the night sky does not look 3D to us because of the incredible distances involved, but that's exactly why 3D would be so helpful - imagine seeing constellations the way they truly are, with some stars being much further away than others. Planets and nebulae would look amazing in 3D, too. Throw in an awesome exterior that doesn't take up too much room, and you could have a very cool little diversion in Tomorrowland.

    Bonus points if there's a new dark ride where Innoventions currently is and the planetarium sits on its roof.


  8. #8

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,714

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    Yes. I've always thought there should be a planetarium in tomorrowland. It just fits. If Disney could get some Pixar level cgi in there, it could truly be amazing.

    One thing...Disney would have to come up with a better way to arrange seats. All the planetariums I've been in have had nearly half the seats be a pain in the neck, literally.

    Multiple shows would be great, too.
    You should check out the Griffith Observatory if this is a concern. They totally re-did the observatory with a new projector and new seats.

    Gone are the old seats and they now have seats with ample neck support which recline back in order to view the ceiling. They are very comfortable. Although it is sad in a sense to see the old seats go, as they were the same ones that were in Rebel Without A Cause.

  9. #9

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,910

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    I love planetariums. I love the concept. I'd be in there all the time. As Data said, with new CGI techniques, it could show off just how amazing our universe is.

    Oh and they could do some Led Zeppelin laser shows now and then too! I kid, I kid.

  10. #10

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,634

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    Its a great idea

    which means Disney won't be doing it

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    142

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    I think a state-of-the-art planetarium in Tomorrowland would be exactly right. It would be even better if it took over Innoventions.

    What characters could be part of such a planetarium? Wall-E, maybe? Mr. Tom Morrow?

  12. #12

    • Stop That!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Remaining Seated
    Posts
    966

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    The idea is interesting and unique, but I fear it would go the route of Disney's other film-based attractions.

    It would be popular at first, but the return visitation rate would be comparatively low (and people who avoid the more "educational" experiences would avoid it from the start), and it would eventually become the Hall of Presidents, just a place to take a quick nap and get out of the sun.

    Quote Originally Posted by okerry View Post
    What characters could be part of such a planetarium? Wall-E, maybe? Mr. Tom Morrow?
    The only way this idea would happen would be a major character or movie tie-in. Since this would be a few years down the road, Disney would most likely tie it in to an upcoming film property, like a remake of The Black Hole or something...

    Not referring to it as a "planetarium," and theming it to an actual visit around the universe would might reduce some of the "edutainment" stigma.
    .


  13. #13

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,576

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    Yeah, unless there's characters added to it, there's absolutely no point to doing this. If you want to see a planetarium, head up to Griffith Park. If you want to see Disney characters, you go to Disneyland.

    Maybe if you added Stitch and come interactive element you could pull it off. Maybe have stitch lead you on a mission to shoot at some aliens or something.

  14. #14

    • Don't Mess With The Duck!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, California - USA
    Posts
    3,644

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    Yes. I've always thought there should be a planetarium in tomorrowland. It just fits. If Disney could get some Pixar level cgi in there, it could truly be amazing.

    One thing...Disney would have to come up with a better way to arrange seats. All the planetariums I've been in have had nearly half the seats be a pain in the neck, literally.

    Multiple shows would be great, too.
    One way they could make the seating better is by making it more like theatre seating. The California Academy of Sciences planetarium in San Francisco is like this. You still feel as if you're surrounded by stars and planets, but you don't have the neck issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    Yes! What an awesome idea! Bring the wonders of the cosmos back to Tomorrowland! Quacky, you're a genius!
    Awww, thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I think this could be very cool, but it would truly need to be more than a run-of-the-mill planetarium. There are so many fantastic sights to see in the universe, and it'd be nice if the entire planetarium would zoom in to those areas using a combination of CGI and real photography. Making the whole thing a 3D experience would be nice. Of course, the night sky does not look 3D to us because of the incredible distances involved, but that's exactly why 3D would be so helpful - imagine seeing constellations the way they truly are, with some stars being much further away than others. Planets and nebulae would look amazing in 3D, too. Throw in an awesome exterior that doesn't take up too much room, and you could have a very cool little diversion in Tomorrowland.

    Bonus points if there's a new dark ride where Innoventions currently is and the planetarium sits on its roof.
    I love the idea of having a dark ride underneath the planetarium! Maybe they could put a Wall-E dark ride there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Its a great idea

    which means Disney won't be doing it
    Ha ha, awwww, come on now...think positive!

    Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito View Post
    The idea is interesting and unique, but I fear it would go the route of Disney's other film-based attractions.

    It would be popular at first, but the return visitation rate would be comparatively low (and people who avoid the more "educational" experiences would avoid it from the start), and it would eventually become the Hall of Presidents, just a place to take a quick nap and get out of the sun.

    The only way this idea would happen would be a major character or movie tie-in. Since this would be a few years down the road, Disney would most likely tie it in to an upcoming film property, like a remake of The Black Hole or something...

    Not referring to it as a "planetarium," and theming it to an actual visit around the universe would might reduce some of the "edutainment" stigma.
    Yeah, I thought about the possibility of the show becoming too stagnent. That's why I thought if they had various different shows throughout the year this could help bring more people in.

    I do like your idea about not calling it something like Tomorrowland Planetarium. Maybe Tommarium? No, that sounds cheesy. LOL I do agree something with a less "educational name" would help bring more children in.

  15. #15

    • Faerie Godmother
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Fernando Valley
    Posts
    736

    Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

    I wish something like this wouldn't need characters to be a draw, but it probably would. How about Ludwig von Drake? I can't think of a better Disney character for giving such a presentation. And that way, it would be funny in its own right.

    "And here we have...the Crab Nebula! Mmm, anyone got any melted butter? No, wait, that's lobster. Is there a Lobster Nebula? No? How about a Shrimp Teppanyaki Nebula? No? Well, then, moving on..."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tomorrowland 8/9 Pin
    By FlAmMaBle in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 09:29 PM
  2. Tomorrowland
    By bluntman in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-23-2006, 10:53 AM
  3. How rare is Tomorrowland 8/9 (orange tomorrowland) Pin?
    By Siskey in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 04:47 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-24-2006, 12:53 AM
  5. Tomorrowland
    By pancakesaregood in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 05:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •