Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Lightbulb Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

Last night before I went to bed I had a random thought about Tomorrowland and its pretty sad current state. We know something should be done with the former PeopleMover tracks. We've read about Star Tours getting a facelift sometime in the near future.

This brings me to an idea I had for when Tomorrowland "goes under the knife". I got to thinking about how cool an all-new, digital Disney planetarium would be for Tomorrowland. There could be different shows cycled out throughout the year as happens at many planetariums. This would keep the attraction fresh and "new" throughout many, many years. The seats could even have slight motion to them for when they'd zoom through the cosmos and galaxies of the universe.

This planetarium in Spain could definately be the inspiration for how the outside of said new planetarium could look.

What do you all think?

<Joe>

• Future theatre actress <3

Where the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake

Re: Should Tomorrowland Have A Planetarium?

I like that idea that would be sooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

AEROSMITH FTWW!

• Gateway Fantasmic!

That is so smart! I can't believe no one has said that yet! Bye bye Inoventions! Hello space!
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

• Mouseketeer

Yes. I've always thought there should be a planetarium in tomorrowland. It just fits. If Disney could get some Pixar level cgi in there, it could truly be amazing.

One thing...Disney would have to come up with a better way to arrange seats. All the planetariums I've been in have had nearly half the seats be a pain in the neck, literally.

Multiple shows would be great, too.

• Faerie Godmother

Yes! What an awesome idea! Bring the wonders of the cosmos back to Tomorrowland! Quacky, you're a genius!

• Minion

this would be cool...and innoventions or the magic eye would be perfect for this, the magic eye might have an edge because they can house spfx..innoventions would take a while to gut...but i do love the idea

• =)

I think this could be very cool, but it would truly need to be more than a run-of-the-mill planetarium. There are so many fantastic sights to see in the universe, and it'd be nice if the entire planetarium would zoom in to those areas using a combination of CGI and real photography. Making the whole thing a 3D experience would be nice. Of course, the night sky does not look 3D to us because of the incredible distances involved, but that's exactly why 3D would be so helpful - imagine seeing constellations the way they truly are, with some stars being much further away than others. Planets and nebulae would look amazing in 3D, too. Throw in an awesome exterior that doesn't take up too much room, and you could have a very cool little diversion in Tomorrowland.

Bonus points if there's a new dark ride where Innoventions currently is and the planetarium sits on its roof.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    Yes. I've always thought there should be a planetarium in tomorrowland. It just fits. If Disney could get some Pixar level cgi in there, it could truly be amazing.

One thing...Disney would have to come up with a better way to arrange seats. All the planetariums I've been in have had nearly half the seats be a pain in the neck, literally.

You should check out the Griffith Observatory if this is a concern. They totally re-did the observatory with a new projector and new seats.

Gone are the old seats and they now have seats with ample neck support which recline back in order to view the ceiling. They are very comfortable. Although it is sad in a sense to see the old seats go, as they were the same ones that were in Rebel Without A Cause.

I love planetariums. I love the concept. I'd be in there all the time. As Data said, with new CGI techniques, it could show off just how amazing our universe is.

Oh and they could do some Led Zeppelin laser shows now and then too! I kid, I kid.

• Banned User

Its a great idea

which means Disney won't be doing it

I think a state-of-the-art planetarium in Tomorrowland would be exactly right. It would be even better if it took over Innoventions.

What characters could be part of such a planetarium? Wall-E, maybe? Mr. Tom Morrow?

• Stop That!

The idea is interesting and unique, but I fear it would go the route of Disney's other film-based attractions.

It would be popular at first, but the return visitation rate would be comparatively low (and people who avoid the more "educational" experiences would avoid it from the start), and it would eventually become the Hall of Presidents, just a place to take a quick nap and get out of the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by okerry View Post
    What characters could be part of such a planetarium? Wall-E, maybe? Mr. Tom Morrow?
    The only way this idea would happen would be a major character or movie tie-in. Since this would be a few years down the road, Disney would most likely tie it in to an upcoming film property, like a remake of The Black Hole or something...

Not referring to it as a "planetarium," and theming it to an actual visit around the universe would might reduce some of the "edutainment" stigma.

• Special Agent

Yeah, unless there's characters added to it, there's absolutely no point to doing this. If you want to see a planetarium, head up to Griffith Park. If you want to see Disney characters, you go to Disneyland.

Maybe if you added Stitch and come interactive element you could pull it off. Maybe have stitch lead you on a mission to shoot at some aliens or something.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post

One way they could make the seating better is by making it more like theatre seating. The California Academy of Sciences planetarium in San Francisco is like this. You still feel as if you're surrounded by stars and planets, but you don't have the neck issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    Yes! What an awesome idea! Bring the wonders of the cosmos back to Tomorrowland! Quacky, you're a genius!
    Awww, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I think this could be very cool, but it would truly need to be more than a run-of-the-mill planetarium. There are so many fantastic sights to see in the universe, and it'd be nice if the entire planetarium would zoom in to those areas using a combination of CGI and real photography. Making the whole thing a 3D experience would be nice. Of course, the night sky does not look 3D to us because of the incredible distances involved, but that's exactly why 3D would be so helpful - imagine seeing constellations the way they truly are, with some stars being much further away than others. Planets and nebulae would look amazing in 3D, too. Throw in an awesome exterior that doesn't take up too much room, and you could have a very cool little diversion in Tomorrowland.

Bonus points if there's a new dark ride where Innoventions currently is and the planetarium sits on its roof.
    I love the idea of having a dark ride underneath the planetarium! Maybe they could put a Wall-E dark ride there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Its a great idea

which means Disney won't be doing it
    Ha ha, awwww, come on now...think positive!

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito View Post
    The idea is interesting and unique, but I fear it would go the route of Disney's other film-based attractions.

It would be popular at first, but the return visitation rate would be comparatively low (and people who avoid the more "educational" experiences would avoid it from the start), and it would eventually become the Hall of Presidents, just a place to take a quick nap and get out of the sun.

The only way this idea would happen would be a major character or movie tie-in. Since this would be a few years down the road, Disney would most likely tie it in to an upcoming film property, like a remake of The Black Hole or something...

Not referring to it as a "planetarium," and theming it to an actual visit around the universe would might reduce some of the "edutainment" stigma.
    Yeah, I thought about the possibility of the show becoming too stagnent. That's why I thought if they had various different shows throughout the year this could help bring more people in.

I do like your idea about not calling it something like Tomorrowland Planetarium. Maybe Tommarium? No, that sounds cheesy. LOL I do agree something with a less "educational name" would help bring more children in.

• Faerie Godmother

I wish something like this wouldn't need characters to be a draw, but it probably would. How about Ludwig von Drake? I can't think of a better Disney character for giving such a presentation. And that way, it would be funny in its own right.

"And here we have...the Crab Nebula! Mmm, anyone got any melted butter? No, wait, that's lobster. Is there a Lobster Nebula? No? How about a Shrimp Teppanyaki Nebula? No? Well, then, moving on..."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast