• Like a grand & miraculous

7 turns from Disneyland!:) but about 1,150 miles on I-5. haha AKA: Puyallup, WA

Wishing Stars - Disneyland iPhone Game

I wish I had an iPhone!

Wishing Stars is a new iPhone game that you play inside Disneyland. Using the built-in GPS feature of the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, you wander around the park looking for wishing stars that are broken into several pieces.
    Clues are given, of course, and the quests are broken into easy, medium, and hard levels. Some quests are performed out in the open, while others are played while you wait in line at an attraction.
    The game already has planned expansions for other parks and resort areas. Ultimate quests, which take days to complete, will satisfy hard-core Disney theme park fans. I really wish I had an iPhone just to play this game. Check out the Wishing Stars website for more information and a demo video. Wishing Stars will be available on August 24 from the iTunes App Store.

Source: DisneyExperience (Click Images to see larger version)

Last edited by Brer Stefan; 08-15-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Re: Wishing Stars - Disneyland iPhone Game

That looks amazing! Such an awesome idea!

Though, to be honest, I think the only time I would really want to play this game, is when I had a couple days at the park, because when I'm at the park, I just wanna spend as much time experiencing everything there is to offer, and not be staring down at my phone.

But, it looks amazing, it's a genius idea, and I'll probably be adding it to my phone ASAP.

Boy, what was life ever like before iPhone?? haha.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

do we get prizes?

• Banned User

I have an iPhone 3GS and after looking at the site for the game, I think it is quite impressive. It looks really fun, beautifully designed, and well thought out!

However, I have to wonder, would being focused on or distracted by an electronic device (even if it's for a game that is centered on Disneyland locations and trivia) take away from the magic of the Disneyland park experience? I would guess that walking through the park while texting or playing a game (iPhone, PSP, Nintendo DS, etc.) may just make the specialness of the park a little less so. Keeping your head down and focused on a little screen while in a busy park does not sound fun...or safe. Think of all the fun you're missing.

On the other hand, the demo for this Wishing Stars game didn't appear to be all THAT distracting. Just a couple of sentences and you're off on your quest to find the star fragment with very little focus on your iPhone screen. I do think it would be kinda fun to have some sort of game to do while in a long line at an attraction.

BUT, what did we all do in line BEFORE there were hand held devices to pass the time? THAT, I submit, is where many of our fondest memories come from; taking in the sights, sounds, and smells of the park while stuck in line. IF, with mobile devices in hand years ago, would we fondly recall ALL the whimsical engravings of the old cemetery at HM? Would we have paid attention to the dialog of the Space Mountain queue? While standing at the NOS train station would we have noticed the telegraph tapping out the first lines of Walt's opening day speech? Or REALLY enjoyed the view from the Skyway or Monorail?

Maybe...Maybe not.

It all remains to be seen. Maybe I'm totally off base here in thinking our hand-held electronic devices are a distraction from the magic, beauty, and excitement of Disneyland. I guess it depends on how much you ACTUALLY use it, and if you can pull yourself away from it long enough to TRULY enjoy your Disneyland experience. HMMM...Interesting!

Tucson, Arizona, but I wish I was in Philly, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfito View Post
    do we get prizes?
    if u do get prizes, then ill get an iphone.

I will be at DisneyWorld on April 29, 2011-May 4, 2011. If You Are Going The Same Time Message Me

> However, I have to wonder, would being focused on or distracted by an electronic device (even if it's for a game that is centered on Disneyland locations and trivia) take away from the magic of the Disneyland park experience?

It's a reasonable question to ask. The best I can say is that if playing Wishing Stars makes your day at Disneyland less fun, then I've failed, or at least failed in your particular case.

The way I look at it is: if playing the game lets you look at Disneyland through new eyes (especially in a way that doesn't force you to wait in any new lines!) then that's something worthwhile. We'll see if I achieved that...

Thanks for your interest!

Greg Maletic
    Developer, Wishing Stars
    Wishing Stars - a new kind of game...

P.S.: Oh, and for those curious: no, there won't be any "real" prizes given away for playing Wishing Stars, at least not in the near-term. But there is going to be a contest to win your very own copy of Wishing Stars (iPhone not included!)...just follow Wishing Stars on Twitter by visiting http://twitter.com/wishing_stars and details will be announced a little later this week!

• Banned User

So what is the price for Wishing Stars going to be? The typical $0.99 or wil it be more?

The price of Wishing Stars - Disneyland Edition will be $5.99.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gmaletic View Post
    The price of Wishing Stars - Disneyland Edition will be $5.99.
    WOAH! Really? Not too many game apps out there that are priced that high (to my knowledge anyway). I'm not one who goes to DLR frequently (maybe once a year), and that price is kinda prohibitive for a single user like myself. I'd be more inclined to purchase it if it was around, say $1.99 or $2.99. Six bucks? Not sure about that.

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

ya, i saw that on twitter the other day. i'm really annoyed because i have the original iPhone and of course Wishing Stars isn't going to work on it . That would have been so much fun for me since I go to the park often... *sigh*

flower gleam & glow...

• Honorary Mermaid.

Added to my list of reasons why I need to get an iPhone.

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

ya, I see this game more for the frequent DL visitor because of the price as well as the time it may take. If I didn't go as often as I did, I don't think I would want to spend my precious DL time playing a game ((unless it was one from disney that also had a prize - like the muppets game they had for Apers when the blue sky celler opened..even though the map pf the new DCA wasn't very much of a prize since anyone could see it at the blue sky celler)). I would want to see the scenery around me, and obviously get on all the rides, etc. the easy versions i guess would be good for a family that is visiting if they are there for a good amount of days where they can get in all they want to do in the park and then play a fun little game.

flower gleam & glow...