Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland Connoisseur

Going to Disneyland in a big group?

So, I am in a group of friends that consists of more than 10 people. It is a pretty good mix of girls and guys, and we have all gotten to become closer during this past school year, especially during this summer vacation. I was talking to my best friend yesterday, and we thought that it would be fun if our whole friend group went to Disneyland. We all live in an area that is over 8 hours away from the park, so we would probably have to rent a few hotel rooms, and we are all under 18 (make it 17), so we would have to go with a few parents. Many of us like Disneyland (I know the most about it, I guess I'm the "Disneyland Expert"). The other day I was with my best friend and we started discussing a group trip to Disneyland. We decided that it would probably be the most fun we could ever have as friends, and we have decided to try and make it happen. It may not happen, considering the fact that some parents aren't comfortable with the idea of their kids being that far away, and money is an issue with some people. Our group is also known to have drama occur. In a group of girls and guys it is common for inner-group crushes to occur between people, and relationships between friends don't always work too well, and sometimes end with bad results. So, there is a slight possibility that this will even become more than an idea, considerring all of the obstacles. So, the big question: Is this a good idea? Do Disneyland vacations of large groups work out well? I consider Disneyland a personal paradise, my "Garden of Eden" so to speak, so I guess I would appreciate it more if I went by myself so that I could process it all, or with a date so that I could share special moments with her in my favorite place. However, I still believe it would be fun to go with my whole group of friends, even if I do have to make a few personal sacrifices. I know that we would probably split up and do different things, but I think that it would be fun to make some good memories with them at the Happiest Place on Earth. So, give me some stories, suggestions, experiences, etc. Anything will help!
    4th Trip To Disneyland: June 28th-June 30th!

• Far too curious

Re: Going to Disneyland in a big group?

A big group can be a big hassle. No doubt about it. You have to try to keep everyone together, and you have to keep everyone satisfied. It can be fun, though. You just have to hope for the best, and try not to start any fights between people in the group.

Really, try it out and see how it goes. You never really know until you do it.

are you all in the same grade? does your high school go to grad night?

When I was in High School a bunch of my friends and I went to DL after a school trip to a Theater Convention that took place in Anaheim. In total we had about 35- 40 students and 5 teachers/chaparones. Obviously we all split up into groups and kind of did our own thing but we all had lunch and dinner together which was so fun. We also planned to ride Big Thunder and Pirates at the same time. It was super fun being in line with a HUGE group. We just had specific times to meet up at rides and places to eat. I think going with a big group can be really fun as long as people in the group aren't opposed to splitting up from time to time. I would suggest having one meeting place so every time you split up you meet up again in the same place. I hope it works out for you guys!

• Disneyland Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    are you all in the same grade? does your high school go to grad night?
    We are all juniors in high school. We live over 8 hours away from Disneyland, so grad night isn't an option.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lalalex View Post
    When I was in High School a bunch of my friends and I went to DL after a school trip to a Theater Convention that took place in Anaheim. In total we had about 35- 40 students and 5 teachers/chaparones. Obviously we all split up into groups and kind of did our own thing but we all had lunch and dinner together which was so fun. We also planned to ride Big Thunder and Pirates at the same time. It was super fun being in line with a HUGE group. We just had specific times to meet up at rides and places to eat. I think going with a big group can be really fun as long as people in the group aren't opposed to splitting up from time to time. I would suggest having one meeting place so every time you split up you meet up again in the same place. I hope it works out for you guys!
    This is some great advice. I think it would be great fun, just know that you might not all be together 100% of the time, but then thats ok too. Just plan some sporadic meet up times throughout the visit that you can get together and do group stuff, then people can wander off again.

As a veteran of several MiceChat big meets (Gay Days, Anniversary, etc) it can be a lot of fun to have a big group, just make sure you have realistic expectations of what the event will be like, and be flexable and don't be upset if a few people want to do their own thing more than with the entire group. As long as you have a few times (certain rides, dinner etc) where everyone can get together and share the memories it will be a wonderful time.

And there's nothing like going up to a CM on something like Pirates and when they ask how many you tell them something like 40 or 60. Priceless!!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Rock Star Minion

MH45 what you're trying to do will be a lot better than a Grad Night, since you can choose your date and there won't likely be 60000 other grad kids there.
    Still, it will be a huge undertaking on your part. A lot of planning a lot of commitment-getting and such.

Pick a date (should be far in advance, so people can change their schedules), see who wants to go and who can go and who will go. Be happy with maybe six commitments. It might be logistically impossible to find a set of days perfect for everyone.

What time of year are you thinking about? Next week? Some weekend in November? Next Summer?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Seasick

I've done bigger groups than that when meeting MiceChatters. I guess my advice would be to prepare yourself mentally for a slower day.

If you're of the mindset that you want to be efficient and get on as many rides as possible, you'll probably be unhappy. With that many people expect to spend extra time getting places, extra time deciding where to go, extra time waiting for bathroom breaks, etc.

Maybe have a bit more of a game plan than usual. Decide what attractions to do as a group in the morning, split up in the afternoon to accomodate different tastes, and meet up in the evening for dinner.

Spend some time enjoying the ambience of the park, which is great in a group of friends. Spend time in Toon Town posing for goofy photos for example.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Disneyland Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    What time of year are you thinking about? Next week? Some weekend in November? Next Summer?
    It is mostly likely that we will go next summer, so that gives us plenty of time to plan.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Make sure you make a list of "must do" rides. You typically go on much fewer rides because of the size of the group. Use fastpass early and often and have one member hold the tickets to get them. UIt's also good to plan a time to eat because stopping to get food 5 seperate times really takes away from fun time.

• Off to Neverland

i think going in a big group of friends is more fun that just having a few people. It's just so much more exciting!

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Just know that not everyone is willing to wait an hour or two (better yet five minutes) to see a show or parade.

Maybe you should discuss that topic as that would likely lead to conflict in the parks.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Going to Disneyland with large groups of friends is fun. Try going on an off-season day though if possible. Your group may split up a few times. Be patient. I like being in charge of everything, but unfortunately you can't really be in charge when there's a large group of people. Just have fun and know that you will have to move slower (I power walk through the park and push through crowds, my friends can't power walk like I can though and they can't squeeze through crowds and small places) Good luck and have fun
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Future Imagineer! =D

Oh, and make sure your friends understand that there will be long waits. My friends don't normally understand this and are very unhappy with waiting 45 minutes for Space Mountain. 45 minutes for Space Mountain is good for a summer day! They just don't seem to understand. Haha.
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Disneyland Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    Oh, and make sure your friends understand that there will be long waits. My friends don't normally understand this and are very unhappy with waiting 45 minutes for Space Mountain. 45 minutes for Space Mountain is good for a summer day! They just don't seem to understand. Haha.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Me and a few other people in my group are big Disneyland fans. I guess we are "regulars", even though we live far away. We know a lot about the park, and we are not Disneyland "newbies". We know how the park works, how bad crowds are, etc. etc. However, some of my friends have only been once, or not even at all, so they don't know much about it. I can already see some of them losing patience, and not wanting to wait in long lines for rides. They need to realize that and just go with the flow, or just go do something else. However, it is almost impossible not to wait in line for rides, unless you just want to get a fast pass and walk around to pass the time. Walking around the park can be a nice way to soak up the atmosphere, but if it is 2:00 and your Splash Mountain pass isn't good until 7:30, you may start to get pretty bored and tired. There is no such thing as a "short line" during afternoons in the summer, so it can be hard to use time wisely, considering that you spend most of your time in line. They need to realize that it is all part of the Disneyland experience. Waiting in line for an hour to get on Indy is totally worth it, you just have to be patient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast