Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Lets put an end to the myths...

MiceChat has become a place where I learn a lot of things that I never knew about Disneyland. I love it. The main thing I enjoy is threads where you learn very little known facts about the place and I have come to the realization that those little things add up and every little tidbit excites me. The only thing is amongst all those awesome bits of info there is a myth or two that is thrown around that turns out to be false. So I want to know what myths about Disneyland are out there that are completely false so that I don't have to look for them aimlessly (or any other person that enjoys looking for new things at Disneyland).
    I'll start:

The dot under Disneyland castle is NOT the center of the park.

• Higitus Figitus

Re: Lets put an end to the myths...

i think there was an old story about a little boy who died on the haunted mansion...Micechatters????
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”

• Hooterville, USA

"Disneyland is over priced!"

Go to a concert or any sporting event and try to pay less! And you get a whole day at DL where you can re-live your childhood fantasies while keeping your hands, arms, and legs inside the vehicle at all times.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

Quote Originally Posted by SwordintheStone View Post
    i think there was an old story about a little boy who died on the haunted mansion...Micechatters????
    There's a story about a boy's ashes being dumped in the graveyard scene, and a man
    falling to his death in the seance circle, but I'm not 100% sure if either of those are
    true. However, the story about the man who fell says that because of the accident,
    Disney added a net between Leota's table and the doombuggy track. I have seen this
    net, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the story is true.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Garfieldo View Post
    There's a story about a boy's ashes being dumped in the graveyard scene, and a man
    falling to his death in the seance circle, but I'm not 100% sure if either of those are
    true. However, the story about the man who fell says that because of the accident,
    Disney added a net between Leota's table and the doombuggy track. I have seen this
    net, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the story is true.
    I think that's the grad night guy who wanted to get to Madame Leota and didn't realize there was a 15 foot drop between the doombuggy and the head. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I did read it in another site that gave the date and everything.

There is one myth that might be true (at least it is plausible). That the old Flying Saucers in Tomorrowland's underground compressed air system was left intact after the Attraction closed for use in a future ride system. Did Disney just pave over that area, or is something built on top of it?

• =)

New Orleans Square is not built two stories above ground level.

The Haunted Mansion did not have to be redesigned after guests and/or members of the press suffered heart attacks.

There are not miles of backstage tunnels beneath the resort. That's Walt Disney World. Most of Disneyland's backstage areas are hidden aboveground.

Disneyland's Main Street is neither narrower nor shorter than the Magic Kingdom's. The buildings are shorter and the castle is smaller and closer.

The "Disneyland will never be completed..." and "Disneyland is not a museum" quotes do not encourage any and all change. They encourage positive change. Furthermore, the latter was apparently not spoken by Walt.

And no part of Walt, of course, was cryogenically frozen anywhere.

• Closed Account

Myth: The brass spike in the castle courtyard is (or was) the geographic center of Disneyland.

Fact: It's a survey marker, and only indicates the center line of Main Street.

Myth: A colorblind bulldozer operator cut down the wrong trees.

Fact: Marty Sklarr has allegedly admitted he made this up.

Myth: All Disneyland was built at 5/8th scale (a myth started by Disney themselves in their opening day press kit).

Fact: the elements of Disneyland all vary in scale, depending on what the art directors felt looked good.

Myth: The ungilded spire on the castle is meant to remind us that DL would never be complete...

Fact: It was simply left that way because the Imagineer in charge thought it looked good that way.

Myth: The Lilly Belle was Walt's Private Car, and the smoking jacket inside was his (or Lilly's).

Fact: The Lilly Belle didn't start riding the rails until nearly 10 years after Walt's death. The smoking jacket is just a prop, and belonged to neither Walt nor Lillian.

Myth: The Rivers of America are (choose): 10 feet deep; 12 feet deep, 20 feet deep, etc.

Fact; The mean depth is closer to five or six feet.

Myth: The DL submarines are actual submarines designed by General Dynamics to naval standards:

Fact: The subs are not submarines, they're just deep draft boats. General Dynamics was merely the sponsor, and did not design them.

Myth: Main Street Station is a protected historical landmark.

Fact: Main Street Station appears on no historical registry, whether national, state or local.

• MC's #1 Mars Volta fan

Wow great thread guys
    MYTH:The Matterhorn has a basketball court.
    FACT:The Court was removed several years ago due to wood rot.

• =)

Almost none of Pirates of the Caribbean is truly located underground, though most of it is located in the basement levels of its two show buildings. Same goes for the Haunted Mansion, though it only has one real show building.

• Closed Account

One thing about the thread title: "Let's put an end to the myths."

No matter how many people point out the error of many of these myths, the fact is, they are going to continue to be spread. No manner of authority can dissuade some people, and message board threads, by their very nature, will eventually disappear, unless permanently posted. So, in six months, I gaurantgee we will see posters trotting out some of these myths for more discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by I.M. Loco View Post
    Wow great thread guys
    MYTH:The Matterhorn has a basketball court.
    FACT:The Court was removed several years ago due to wood rot.
    MYTH: The Court was removed several years ago doe to wood rot.
    FACT: The backboard and rim were re-arranged within the Matterhorn to allow for Tink's new flight system.

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post

Fact: Marty Sklarr has allegedly admitted he made this up.

Wait.. HUH?

Either it's a fact, or he allegedly made it up. It can't be both....

*bold mine*
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    "Disneyland is over priced!"

Go to a concert or any sporting event and try to pay less! And you get a whole day at DL where you can re-live your childhood fantasies while keeping your hands, arms, and legs inside the vehicle at all times.
    ANY sporting event? Well, I can get you right there...

Going to a Tampa Bay Rays game:

Parking: $15 (free if 4 or more in your vehicle)
    Ticket: $10 (upper deck infield seat)
    Food: Can bring your own if you want! If not, Fish & chips basket: $8
    Drink: Can bring in your own bottled water! If not, you can get a coupon for a free small soda if you fill out the designated driver's form at guest relations (I'm not paying $9 for a beer I can get for $2 at my regular bar)

Total cost: $43

That's less than a one day admission to DL or WDW.

Minor league games are even cheaper.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    ANY sporting event? Well, I can get you right there...

Going to a Tampa Bay Rays game:

Parking: $15 (free if 4 or more in your vehicle)
    Ticket: $10 (upper deck infield seat)
    Food: Can bring your own if you want! If not, Fish & chips basket: $8
    Drink: Can bring in your own bottled water! If not, you can get a coupon for a free small soda if you fill out the designated driver's form at guest relations (I'm not paying $9 for a beer I can get for $2 at my regular bar)

Total cost: $43

That's less than a one day admission to DL or WDW.

Minor league games are even cheaper.
    One thing to note it a baseball game is 3 hours. If you compare that to 16 hours at Disneyland it's pretty close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast