Red Face Original Concept Art For DCA and Construction Pictures

I remember when I saw the huge pile of dirt that would soon become DCA from the monorail in 1999 ish... I was so young and thought " A pile of dirt a park? Yea right!"

and then I went to DCA for the first time and got on everything wasnt as great as I thought there was no ToT or really good rides....

And now I have become more fond of this park and it has become necessary for me to always hop from park to park...

Anyone have pictures of the original concept art for DCA and some construction pictures? I would love to see some as I am sure others here would as well

• Sock Puppet

Re: Original Concept Art For DCA and Construction Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfito View Post
    I remember when I saw the huge pile of dirt that would soon become DCA from the monorail in 1999 ish... I was so young and thought " A pile of dirt a park? Yea right!"

and then I went to DCA for the first time and got on everything wasnt as great as I thought there was no ToT or really good rides....

And now I have become more fond of this park and it has become necessary for me to always hop from park to park...

Anyone have pictures of the original concept art for DCA and some construction pictures? I would love to see some as I am sure others here would as well
    MISLEADING! I thought you had concept art. I'm just kidding. This is interesting. Now that I always go to Blue Cellar and have seen the conceptual map for Disneyland (which I thought was the actual opening day map) I would love to see if they had anything similar of DCA

• Senior Monorail Minion

This wouldbe really interesting... I know some of you have it I've seen it float accross the Boards more than once!
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

Here's some stuff i just found online. Probably seen it all but its all pretty cool, and saves everyone else the trouble of looking:

Over View of the full DCA construction area:

GRR Construction Overview:

Screamin and PP overview:

Sun Wheel/ MFW, Orange Singer/ SSS, and GZ and completely Empty lagoon...

should have built the wrap around pier back at this stage

Everything beginning to take shape. We can see construction over in Golden State taking place, as well as on The GCH:

Here's a hidden Mickey on S. Disneyland Drive:

All Images from: Overall View, August 1999

Here are two Videos i found as well:

This is shot from a preview platform that appears to be across the esplanade looking over towards the construction.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeXGRGh8u-w&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeXGRGh8u-w&feature=related[/ame]
    And here is one more video that shows all the steps and detail that were taken to complete this park. Looks like the mosaics were literally put together on the spot. Must have taken hours.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djmcxd1kDIE"][/ame]

I remember when the new shuttle bus area opened. My whole family thought wow what a neat set-up even myself since we were all used to the old parking lot look.

Plus I found this:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...hat-never.html

The Disney's California Adventure that never was !

Today, i found in my Disney "archives" a press kit that was sent to me in 1996 by the Disneyland press office. It's a presentation of the "future" Disneyland Resort and what was going to be, some years later, Disney's California Adventure.

Everything is there, the Entrance, the Animation building, Soarin', the Grizzly raft ride, the Grand Californian hotel, etc...but if we have a close look to the renderings, nothing look like what we know. It's a Disney's California Adventure that never was!

Let's have a look first at the rendering on the cover of this six-pages brochure. It is supposed to be the entrance of the park. The monorail is still passing through, but no Golden Gate, etc...And this giant golden spire was supposed to be the icon of the park, just like Sleeping Beauty castle can be for Disneyland.

Now, if this giant spire looks familiar to you, dear readers, it's normal. You just saw it four days ago in my Westcot article - see the Westcot rendering below - and this spire was probably one of the rare reminiscence of the Westcot project in this early DCA concept-art.

But all is not lost in this "entrance" rendering. If we have a look at this picture of the model of DCA future new entrance, we can see that, here too, there is some reminiscence of this first DCA entrance concept-art. But the giant spire has disappeared forever.

The next page of the brochure was introducing the new Disneyland Resort, and i suggest you to double-click on the image to read the text.

As we are going to see, the next page is very interesting, too...

The Art of animation building looks totally different than the one we know...

And it's the same for the Soarin building, very different, too.

Even more interesting are these two renderings. Not only the Grizzly rafts don't look like the one show here, but we are still waiting for an "abc" attraction!

The master plan on the next page may look familiar...

But if you have a close look to the DCA section, you will notice that big changes were done in the final version, beginning by the water canals...

Next page is interesting, too. The buildings on the rendering with the monorail were never built, and even the Grand Californian hotel had a different architecture.

The last page who show the redesign of Walnut Street and Katella Blvd is may be the most accurate with the final result, though...

We know the rest of the story, and how DCA finally had a totally different look, but i thought it was interesting to share with you this first vision of the park. We are now all waiting for the third "vision", and hopefully, this time, it will be the right one!

Artwork and brochure: copyright Disney
    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13...

Tucson, Arizona, but I wish I was in Philly, PA

i did a thread on the same thing like 3 weeks ago. Here' the link.

Does anyone have original concept art?

I will be at DisneyWorld on April 29, 2011-May 4, 2011. If You Are Going The Same Time Message Me

• Seeker of Fun

My wife and I were on our honeymoon in 98' when the construction for DCA was going on. Needless to say it was pretty exciting!

wow that video is awesome..but I have never seen the monorail pass through the golden gate... is that for real? Was it real? dont remember...gaa