View Poll Results: Which version would you prefer if Disney's Mine Ride still existed?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knotts Berry Farms Mine Ride

19 39.58%
  • Disneyland's Mine Train's to Natures Wonderland

32 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Senior Minion

Re: Knotts Mine Train ride compared to Disney's

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    It's kind of hard to criticize because Walt based his off of Knotts.
    Gotta say that without some source to back it up, it sounds like another Disneyland Urban Legend.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I think too many people are quick to criticize Knott's. And much of that is deserved, especially since Cedar Fair took over.

But the Calico Mine Train is really a great ride, and one that not only is Disney-caliber in terms of themeing but one that also had a lot of influence on Walt Disney himself.

The Calico Mine Train was built in 1960. It was built after Disney's Mine Train but before POTC. And it had more influence on Walt Disney than a lot of Disney fans would want to admit. It was the first major theme park ride to incorporate part of the queue within the attraction itself. I also mentioned POTC because in my opinion it was a major influence on that ride. Especially in the grotto where the rockwork of the cave is not only beside you but above you. Before POTC most of Disney's rides had plain ceilings like in the FL dark rides or on iasw.

Sure. The AA technology in the Knott's version is pretty crude. But it is an immersive experience, and one that Walt tried to copy and succeeded with his masterpiece, POTC.

Couldn't agree with you more dip.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    Walt Disney and Walter Knott actually didn't compete, they complimented each other. When people go to Orlando I'm guessing that The Magic Kingdom isn't their only destination. Why do you think Sea World and Universal both built parks there?
    To a point, I think you're right. For those of you who know the story, when Disneyland opened, it wasn't open 24/7 like it is now. It took Monday and Tuesday off. It was arranged with KBF so that Disneyland would close on Mon. and Tue. while KBF would close on Wed. and Thur. so that visitors to the area would have something to do 7 days in a week.

So, in a way, they worked together to promote their businesses into what they are today.

What we need to realize is that DL was built to be a theme park, KBF wasn't. KBF started out with a resturant which led to a few rides which eventually led to the KBF we know today. That's why KNB has a lot of the developmental and design impediments that DL does not. Walt knew that there was going to be rides and distinct lands, so he designed it that way. Walter Knott had no idea when he started out, and that is why everything is so hodgepodge at KBF. It's like Walt built a mansion from the start, so it's astetically pleasing whereas Walter Knott took a shack and added-on little extensions after time until he ended up with a mansion, but that mansion is looks odd and is hard to navigate. (You know, it's like when someone adds on a bedroom but you can only access it by passing through the bathroom first? That kinda thing...)
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post

People generally don't take a family vacation in a station wagon across country and visit only one place.
    we do. unlike the grizzwolds who are fictional characters in a comedy movie the whole idea of a vacation is going to one place, otherwise its not a vacation.................

When people go to Orlando I'm guessing that The Magic Kingdom isn't their only destination. Why do you think Sea World and Universal both built parks there?

not everybody is rich. so yes. people often times pick out one "destination" (for me of course it would be <<<<<slaps forehead>>>>>
    walt disneyworld.

sea world? spare me. If I wanted to look at fish I would take a boat ride.
    universal? I went there once. wasnt impressed.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I'm not criticizing Knott's or their Mine Train, both of which I'm fond of -- but I find it difficult to believe that Walt or WED "tried to copy" anything from Knotts for Pirates of the Caribbean (especially when you consider the development history of POTC).

I think Walt got a lot of the inspiration for some of his later dark rides from the Calico Mine Train. I suppose I was a little harsh by saying he tried to copy it.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Nature's Wonderland, hands down for me.

(Gee, really? )
    Last edited by Nautilus; 08-17-2009 at 10:22 PM.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Just for the record: Rainbow Caverns Mine Train (before upgraded to Nature's Wonderland) opened '56. Calico Mine ride opened in '60 (as did the Nature's Wonderland upgrade.)

Funny how they both have phosphorescent features...(though Disney's were far superior.)

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Another Micechatter, I cannot remember who, posted a link to an article about the Calico Mine Train, and Walt Disney actually served as a consultant on this ride for Walter Knott.

It really isn't a question of which is better. It is a realization of the partnership between the two men, and how they borrowed ideas off of one another. I don't think it should be any problem that Walt Disney used ideas from Knott's for the attractions at Disneyland. I think this a wonderful attestation of the partnership between two men who would otherwise been bitter rivals due to fierce competition, coming together to compliment each other and help each other out for their own individual goals.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It really isn't a question of which is better. It is a realization of the partnership between the two men, and how they borrowed ideas off of one another. I don't think it should be any problem that Walt Disney used ideas from Knott's for the attractions at Disneyland. I think this a wonderful attestation of the partnership between two men who would otherwise been bitter rivals due to fierce competition, coming together to compliment each other and help each other out for their own individual goals.
    No, I think that's totally great -- it's just that as a DL history buff, I'm always looking for "jus' the facts, ma'am" out of all the DL urban legends and fictional history floating around.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'm confused...are we talking about the Calico Mine Train, or the Timber Mountain Log Ride?
    You're not the one who was confused, Data! I completely twisted upt the two rides in my head somehow! Duh.

But I still prefer the Knott's mine train. That queue up the side of the mountain with the stream off to the side seemed sooo long when I was a kid! The mining details fascinated me. I wished the line wouldn't more so fast so I could look at the location of gold mines on the map of California on teh station wall. Gold strikes, blind fish that have never seen the light of day, the organ music in the caves, being blasted by underground geysers that killed men...it was all too cool!

About the only thing I remember from the Disney mine train was almost being crushed by a teetering rock. While it was called a "mine train," mining really had nothing to do with the story, unlike at Knott's.

• "I Break Things"

The friendship between Uncle Walt and Uncle Walt was definitely interesting. The fact that Walter Knott was an invited VIP to Disneyland's opening speaks volumes... and that both men remained friends despite the perceived "competition" (many in the press believed Disneyland's success would be the end of Knott's)

What is also interesting is how each helped to inspire the other. Any business that is succeeding has an eye on the competition. The products of the "other guys" will inspire future products if only to take the competitions share of the market. When there is no competition there is stagnation... and that is what is happening now! Disney at one time competed with Knotts... and to a lesser degree Magic Mountain (back when it had the dwarf mascots). As both Knott's and Magic have slid well below par... Disney now has no one to "push them" and is content to stamp a Disney brand on anything regardless of quality. Projects that likely would never have seen the light of day when they were "competing" are now rubber stamped and built before the ink is even dry.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    Just from a quality standpoint I have to assume that MTTNW would be superior to the Calico Mine Train. I've been to Knott's once and was seriously unimpressed with the Calico train. The sound system was so lousy I couldn't hear a word the conductor was saying, the trains were uncomfortable and very slow to load (longest line I waited in all day), and the human figures in the ride (I can't in good conscience refer to them as AAs) were roughly "traveling carnival" quality. Some of the scenery was nice (the large, central, multi-level mining operation comes to mind), but on the whole I felt like the ride was a dark, slow, meandering mess without much in the way of a cohesive story experience. I left feeling like it was a prime example of why Disney has been so much more successful than Knott's (other than, you know, built in global brand recognition).
    Quoted for truth. I never went on Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland, but from pics and what I've heard about it, it seems a lot better than Knott's'

unfortunately, i wasn't alive when disneyland had the "Natures Wonderland" train; but what i've seen in videos, is pretty trippy & i 100% prefer it.<3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12