Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: What to do with the Jungle Cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    No. Just... no.

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Please, no, just no. The ride is fine the way it is, there is no need to fix it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter45 View Post
    I think the ride is fine the way it is... The JC is known for it's terrible jokes and fake animals. It is a fun ride now (well, unless you ride it with a bunch of smart @$$ little kids that have to point out how everything is fake and such). However, there may come a time when the animatronics are not convincing at all, and the ride may begin to lose its audience. The ride has lasted over 50 years, so I don't see that happening too soon.
    Yep^
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

It could always use a little sprucing, but I don't see anything like a Jungle Book overhaul that needs to be done. It's great... I wish at night when the lines died down though they could do a quiet tour, just sorta putter around in the boat and not have to hear the speil. They could seprate the lines and do it that way. That would be great
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Future Tinkerbell!

Hmm...do I know you Eric? Lol....but ya. I think it is too much of a classic to do much to it. I still love going on it, as do my parents and friends. I doubt they will make any huge changes to the ride anythime soon.

Nous sommes tous fous ici
    What do ya wanna know? http://formspring.me/littleactress
    I be bloggin' Tumblr

I love JC the way it is. I'm a HUGE fan of the corny jokes and sarcastic shtick. And even though I may have heard those jokes a million times over, I will always laugh at them ... even when the skip isn't great.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Quote Originally Posted by littleactressann View Post
    Hmm...do I know you Eric? Lol....but ya. I think it is too much of a classic to do much to it. I still love going on it, as do my parents and friends. I doubt they will make any huge changes to the ride anythime soon.
    I don't know, Anni... Littleactress...
    WELCOME ABOARD

• Future Tinkerbell!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I don't know, Anni... Littleactress...

hmm....seems you have forgotten an 'e'. :P. And I do still love the whole 'backside of water' deal....they def. need to keep that!!

Nous sommes tous fous ici
    What do ya wanna know? http://formspring.me/littleactress
    I be bloggin' Tumblr

• Senior Monorail Minion

Anyone remember when the falls fell during a refurb? That was interesting...
    WELCOME ABOARD

• hi!

the last time i went on the Juncle Cruise, the skipper actually DIDN'T make the "back side of water" joke!

instead, he said something along the lines of:
    Spoiler
    "alright guys, and here to the left.. if you haven't yet seen Fantasmic!, don't worry. here's a little preview. *flashes lights on the water*"

i thought it was hilarious!
    Last edited by plagued; 08-17-2009 at 11:55 PM.
    -plagued

• MC's #1 Mars Volta fan

^Lol I've heard that one too I liked it better than the dog eared old back side of water joke.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    Anyone remember when the falls fell during a refurb? That was interesting...
    After making sure no one was hurt I spent 5 minutes laughing... everyone looked like powdered doughnuts!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

This is from an older thread. Jungle Book has been brought up from time to time. My "stance" is a resounding "NO".

----------- EDIT-----------
    Proposal was harder to find then I realized. Here is a basic rundown.
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...e-78705p7.html

I have put a great deal of thought into this. My experiences as both a Skipper and a parent have allowed me to see the Jungle through the eyes of a child. I know that there will probably not be another refurbishment for some time but I thought I would toss this in. I had planned on printing it out and handing it in but my new job started much sooner then I had anticipated.

Boathouse Band Loop expansion- During peak season Indy uses Upper 1 of the boathouse to maintain their own line. Our band stage hasn't been used in a long time. It would require the removal of a branch but the area is already a natural extension of the band loop. With minimal work the band loop can be doubled in size. This would also allow extra time before Upper 2 is opened. I would also recommend re routing the line in the band loop because several areas are extremely narrow due to badly placed props.

Native hut in the lagoon- I have included a picture of the old native hut and catamaran. The old design is more authentic and would add to the show. Because the lagoon is smaller and the boathouse is closer I would recommend building it larger and possibly closer to the catwalk.

Toucans- During the last refurbishment the toucans were moved into the rain forest. The problem with the current location is that they are extremely difficult for the guests to see. If they were moved across the river to the other bank, possibly near the Indy dock it would be easier to see and it would provide Skippers with the option of butterflies or toucans. Also add small old world monkeys, air AA’s similar to the technology used in Tiki. There are a variety of simple movements such as tails, hands, and swinging that can be easily duplicated. A rainforest should be full of life, not 3 butterflies and a couple toucans.

Sunken City interlace a combination of old archways and rainforest along the Indy exit to give context to this currently dead area. There should be a gradual change from rainforest to city, not a "Boom here we are" which is the current effect.

Bob- Bob looks great from Indy's exit however from the boat it is extremely awkward to look behind you and up just to catch a fleeting glimpse of the monkey idol. If he is turned around and lowered, possibly near the first archway, it would be visible from both Indy and Jungle. This would also work with a landslide effect and various articles in ruins placed on the berm

Crocs- I would add another croc snapping on the other side of the boat as well as two crocs on the right bank. It would be an impressive animation trick if they could duplicate how crocs slide into the water, that splash and the subsequent snapping would really bring the temple to life.

Spiders- Add air driven animations that actually drop down towards the boat on the outside edges. they would need to be placed out of reach of guests but still give the impression of attacking the boat. This effect would be simple to accomplish. Also alternate the drop pattern and continue it until the boat was clear of the arch, a sensor placed in the archway could achieve this effect.

Elephant Pool- The Elephant pool is absolutely amazing, The only addition I could think of is possibly 3 to 5 elephants on the left side (1 or 2 adults and some calves). If you added animation on both sides it would give the impression of navigating through the herd.

Gorilla Camp- having a dock across from the camp was originally discussed during the last rehab. This would allow for a ricochet effect and add to the sense of danger.

African Veldt- The entire placement of the animals just looks odd. I know that the Imagineers wanted to add a drinking Giraffe. If they moved the giraffes to the left side of the river (on the island near the large turnout) they would be able to add the drinker. I would also move the Zebras around and mix them in with the Gnu. If there was a budget I would also add more Gnu, they usually number in at a million or more, with a couple thousand Zebra. It would be possible with 3 or 4 more Gnu to give the appearance of the herd crossing the river. In the wild a Giraffe will only drink if it is completely safe from lions and even then only if 2 or 3 others are standing guard. To have Giraffes eating from the trees, one drinking, and several Impala along with a zebra or Gnu would really be a sight. It would completely immerse the Guests in that scene.

Trapped Safari- The trapped safari is probably one of the most memorable scenes. The only addition I could think of is moving the hyenas over slightly and adding a baby rhino attacking some of the safari’s gear (also added of course)

Hippo Pool- C curve has a blind spot that prevents you from seeing the trapped safari once you have entered the hippo pool. Imagineers talked about adding a sunken boat. I believe it should be cut in half, half on one side of the curve and half on the other. They could add a smoke effect to the smoke stack. I would also recommend floating debris in the water and various pieces of the boat and cargo strewn about on the banks. This is a great opportunity to make the pool “dangerous” and also explain the loss of the Mekong and the Maggie.

Native Village- Add more spears with skulls on them. Make the entrance more forbidding. Place Natives on both sides of the ambush and add blowguns. IF they are able to duplicate Indy’s air cannon effect it would enhance the entire scene.

Piranhas- Take out the shrine or enhance it by making it authentic to Mayan culture. Add a jaguar on the left bank near the second rock on the left side. The jaguar would really add to the effect of being in the Amazon. The Jaguar is one of many symbols of Mayan culture, having a combination of stone carved shrine and an actual cat would completely immerse guests in that environment.

The Jungle Cruise is an amazing attraction. I knew I wanted to be a Jungle Skip when I was 4. I did it when I was 18. I realize these enhancements may never be made but if they serve as an inspiration then it was worth the effort.

*This was submitted by me to my Management team on the last day of my employment. I was under the impression that it was discarded. When I posted it on Micechat I was informed that it was not discarded. I was notified that a "mutual friend" notified WDI and they snagged it... no one has ever admitted as to who placed that call.
    sorry to drop that in here... I've tossed in on the boards before and each time I get a few complaints from those who actually have a copy!

• "I Break Things"

To expand slightly on the whole "Indy Exit" stretch. I had proposed adding 3 more archways along that stretch, bringing the total to 5. I also suggested making a 6th as a "spare" in the event that any of them needed to be switched out. The archways would provide a location for additional misters. They would provide a home for additional AA's. They would also allow for a gradual "overgrown jungle" feel instead of "BAM here's the temple ruin".

At the time Tiki had been begging for additional "spare" parrots in order to make swap out repairs easier. I had suggested ordering additional parrots as well as additional small birds (toucans etc). This would be on Tiki's budget. It would allow for standardized AA's, standardized movement, standardized repairs and overall lower maintanence costs. Due to the simplicity of air powered AA's they could quickly add iguanas, monkeys, and snakes to the mix. On another thread I also talked about plant based AA's (venus fly traps, attacking vines etc.)

Another complaint is that Indy's outside queue is "too hot" in Summer. Since the rainforest is being expanded right next to Indy it would be the perfect time to expand the mister system overall. Indy would either take this, or share the budget for this (due to their use). This again would standardize the equipment/repairs.

So with a little bit of effort the Rainforest could have monkeys, toucans, parrots, butterflies, snakes, iguanas, spiders, attacking plants, ruins, AND misters... just a thought. Add in the other wildlife I mentioned and you are talking about 1/4 to 1/3 "new life" in Jungle.
    Last edited by techskip; 08-18-2009 at 10:46 AM.

• Faerie Godmother

Great ideas, techskip. As far as completely "Amazonifying" the last stretch of river goes, what to do with the Asian water buffalo? They don't belong, but the closest South American analogy is the tapir, which is a much smaller animal. Do you think it would be enough? Maybe some spider monkeys and a sloth or tamandua in the trees would help to fill out the scene. (The snake can stay; he could just as easily be an anaconda rather than a python.)

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    Great ideas, techskip. As far as completely "Amazonifying" the last stretch of river goes, what to do with the Asian water buffalo? They don't belong, but the closest South American analogy is the tapir, which is a much smaller animal. Do you think it would be enough? Maybe some spider monkeys and a sloth or tamandua in the trees would help to fill out the scene. (The snake can stay; he could just as easily be an anaconda rather than a python.)
    There are a few different possibilities. The specific enhancement was for the piranha scene in general. I really thought the shrine was poorly done when a Mayan shrine would have been a great deal better. Additionally the Skip needs something to talk about while waiting for the pirahnas. An "easy" solution would be a jaguar with a cub playing near the water...

• Faerie Godmother

Awwwww...

But I still think the snake should stay. What's the Jungle without a whacking huge snake?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast