Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Cool What to do with the Jungle Cruise?

One of my most nostalgic rides at DL is of course the Jungle Cruise. I still remember being a kid and how exciting it was when the tour guide would shoot his pistol to fend off the "wild hippos." Adventureland has always been my favorite land and the JC one of the most immersive rides in the park.
    Having said that, I think the JC has become a bit of an enigma for me. I still love the experience, but am a bit tired of the whole "everybody knows this is fake so let's make it funny" routine. We've seen ride make-overs for HM, POTC, Space etc... When will it be time to do something with our beloved Jungle Cruise?
    I would hate to see it go and think it still has great potential....Any ideas?
    Maybe a Jungle Book theme? or add some new animatronic elements which were a little scarier and less predictable? I love the cave area of the JC at WDW and would like to see more of that element and less of the "pun-happy" tour guides. What do you think?

• Senior Minion

Re: What to do with the Jungle Cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by aquila View Post
    Maybe a Jungle Book theme?
    No. Just... no.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Future Skipper

Sorry, but I'm not big on these ideas. Maybe a few new audio animatronics... but the fakeness of it all is part of the comedy. And hey, it's cheaper for Disney that way :P

• Banned User

Please, no, just no. The ride is fine the way it is, there is no need to fix it at all.

• hi!

the boats should really get attacked by real animals. might bring the excitement level back up
    -plagued

• Future Tinkerbell!

Didn't they just add the fish things that come out of the water? I forgot what they are called. I think they should get new jokes maybe, but otherwise stay the same. Too nostalgic to change. Plus little kids love it! My niece loves to go on JC, she is five.

Nous sommes tous fous ici
    What do ya wanna know? http://formspring.me/littleactress
    I be bloggin' Tumblr

• would love some pie

The only thing JC could need is either more animals or updates of the current ones.
    KABLAM!

• Future Imagineer! =D

^^^^yup, piranhas. they added those a few yrs ago I think
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Future Skipper

They added the piranhas in 2005 (the ride's 50th anniversary!)

• Great Googily Moogily!

The only thing I'd like to see done on the Jungle Cruise is an update to all the animals, make them more life-like and get rid of the clicking noises (like its that easy). One idea I'll just throw out there is something I thought about this past weekend while in the hippo pool, I would love it if the hippos would rush the boat and some how shake the boat while the skip fires the gun to scare them off.
    Have you PLay'ed today?

• Future Tinkerbell!

Quote Originally Posted by bubble_POP View Post
    The only thing I'd like to see done on the Jungle Cruise is an update to all the animals, make them more life-like and get rid of the clicking noises (like its that easy). One idea I'll just throw out there is something I thought about this past weekend while in the hippo pool, I would love it if the hippos would rush the boat and some how shake the boat while the skip fires the gun to scare them off.

The hippo thing would be cool, but also probably very difficult to accomplish! Haha

Nous sommes tous fous ici
    What do ya wanna know? http://formspring.me/littleactress
    I be bloggin' Tumblr

Wow piranahs huh! I haven't been since '03 so I missed that big addition
    Seriously though, is nobody tired of the same joke routine?! I would probably ride it more than once if they wouldn't tell the same jokes over and over (natives doing the "hokey pokey" anyone?) Can you imagine having a wisecracking tour guide for POTC and throwing in puns and jokes with every pirate scene?! At least the POTC additions were more subtle and didn't distract from the spirit of the ride....

While I like some of the comedic aspects of the JC, I find it somewhat distracting - "is this next joke going to be funny or bomb?" - plus it's almost like the actual cruise is a side-show. Why not just put a stage up somewhere and let the skippers tell jokes there? I also hate the speed at which the skippers race us around - it's like they want to get out of there as fast as possible. The lines are fairly short so they don't need to do it for capacity sake.

I'd like to see more balance in the jokes and realism rather than just a comedy routine.

They have the technology to add some really cool AAs to the ride. I'd like to see a pacing lion. I like the idea of hippos actually rushing and shaking the boat. How about flying birds? Where a vulture or toucan swoops down towards the boat, then flies overhead. They could easily hide the mechanism in the tree canopy. A slithering snake that actually moves down a tree. These things could be done.

• Great Googily Moogily!

Quote Originally Posted by littleactressann View Post
    The hippo thing would be cool, but also probably very difficult to accomplish! Haha
    Haha not really, throw a couple kids overboard, stick some hippo ears on them, and tell them to rock the boat! jk i'd never do that to kids, dwarfs maybe, but not kids.
    Have you PLay'ed today?

• Disneyland Connoisseur

I think the ride is fine the way it is... The JC is known for it's terrible jokes and fake animals. It is a fun ride now (well, unless you ride it with a bunch of smart @$$ little kids that have to point out how everything is fake and such). However, there may come a time when the animatronics are not convincing at all, and the ride may begin to lose its audience. The ride has lasted over 50 years, so I don't see that happening too soon.
    4th Trip To Disneyland: June 28th-June 30th!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast