Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland History Lover

New rule about handstamping when leaving the park with an AP?

Me and my boyfriend went to the parks on Sunday. We went into DL for a little while and then left to hit up DCA when it opened up. As we left, I went through the exit turnstiles and my boyfriend followed. I overheard the CM lady tell him that to get back in he needed a stamp even if he had an AP, so he got one. This sounded unusual to me because we've never been told this before. Anyhow, after DCA, we headed back into DL and the CM guy asked to see our stamps. I told him I didn't have one, to which he responded that next time we need to make sure we get one. We've gone back and forth to both parks in the past without getting hand stamps and have never had any issues. Does anyone know if this is a new rule that has been implemented? It's not like we'd been blocked out or anything since we had premium passes, if that even has anything to do with it. But I was definitely caught off guard and somewhat flabbergasted about this.

• Banned User

Re: New rule about handstamping when leaving the park with an AP?

Was it crowded that day?

I believe that on days of high crowds they make it so EVERYONE needs a handstamp.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Let me be lazy and quote myself at a post over at the Orange County Register...

NOONWIRE: Disney World death; annual passholders return - Around Disney - OCRegister.com

Disney was requiring all guests, including Annual Passholders to get hand stamps if they left the park and wanted to return. On most days, Disney does not require Annual Passholders to get a hand stamp, which allows them to save on labor, as they will only have a Cast Member on every other turnstile offering hand stamps.

But on days they think they might have to restrict entry due to the fact that the crowds are getting close to the Fire Marshall limit, they staff every exit turnstile with a CM offering handstamps.

This way, if they decide they need to stop offering access to the parks to any “new” guests that day, the handstamp, along with the AP can prove you have already entered that specific park that day, and can be allowed back in.

If it gets really busy, then Disney can and will not allow anybody to re-enter, even if they have a handstamp until the amount of guests inside the park gets reduced enough to be “safe” in the eyes of the Fire Marshall and Disney officials.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Senior Minion

That's normal practice on busy days. They really won't let you back in if it gets really packed. First they only let people in with stamps and at some point they won't let anyone in because they're at capacity. Usually the Miceage guys do a good job of warking about this on days this might happen. Normal days when the park is not near capacity you don't really need a stamp, but the CM's still often suggest getting one to be on the safe side.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

interesting note very informative thanks darkbeer.

I remember one time the girl had her handstamp but not her park ticket and they didnt let her in. Not sure the rule on that one though.
    Last edited by d.N.d.; 08-18-2009 at 10:16 PM.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

Thanks for clearing that up, Darkbeer and Uncle Bob. Sunday was VERY crowded, so that explains it. Is there a way they can tell if you've already been in the park that day if you don't have a stamp? It would seem to be the case based on what that one guy told us upon re-entering DL.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    I remember one time the girl had her handstamp but not her park ticket and they didnt let her in. Not sure the rule on that one though.
    That has been the rule for decades. You Must have your Park Admission to be alowed in, and in most cases, a hand stamp, to help prevent fraud and abuse, as some folks know a trick to transfer Hand Stamps... (And no, I won't tell you the trick!)

• Senior Minion

I would assume in your situation, being with someone who did have a stamp, and they were still letting people in with stamps, they probably would let you in with a warning as they did. If you both didn't have stamps, I'm not sure, if you made a big stink they still might let you in, but they could not. But they definitely can tell you've been in that day without a stamp, so it is kind of dumb.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: New rule about hand-stamping when leaving the park with an AP?

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Is there a way they can tell if you've already been in the park that day if you don't have a stamp? It would seem to be the case based on what that one guy told us upon re-entering DL.
    Actually, the issue is WHICH park you have entered if you have an AP.

The first time you enter a park that day, the turnstiles says something like "Welcome, David Michael" to the CM working the Turnstile.

When I enter the other park the same day, it says "ParkHopper" on the screen the first time I enter.

But the second (and any other time) I enter either park that day, it says "Re-Entry".

But when it gets busy, sometimes Disneyland is closed to new guests, but DCA is open. Some guests figured out how to get the system to say Reentry. So they went to DCA and immediately left and head to Disneyland and claimed they were already inside Disneyland that day.

So Disney started the Hand Stamp for AP's on very busy days to help prove those who have already entered Disneyland earlier that day. (FYI, Disneyland Hand Stamps have a different word (usually a Character) than DCA Stamps (usually a DCA attraction or area).

So the big hint, if they are recommending Hand-stamps, make sure and get a Disneyland Hand-stamp as soon as possible if you head to DCA.

does anyone know if the limit is for the total of both parks or if there is a limit for each?

also, is there one stamp or different stamps for each park?

the reason I was wondering is if Disneyland had reached it's limit and California Adventure did not, could you enter California Adventure then get your hand stamped and then go to Disneyland?

edit: thanks I see the answer above
    Last edited by gary94080; 08-18-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: answered while I was posting

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Let me be lazy and quote myself at a post over at the Orange County Register...

NOONWIRE: Disney World death; annual passholders return - Around Disney - OCRegister.com
    Interesting
    I've heard some CM's say stamp, some say you don't have to.

Here's a crazy thought.
    The computer tells them if you've been in the park that day (or it did)
    so I don't see what a stamp will do (besides use more ink than needed)

I can see the busy day logic, but again, the computers tell them if you've been in that day or if it's your first visit into the park that day
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: New rule about hand-stamping when leaving the park with an AP?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post

So Disney started the Hand Stamp for AP's on very busy days to help prove those who have already entered Disneyland earlier that day. (FYI, Disneyland Hand Stamps have a different word (usually a Character) than DCA Stamps (usually a DCA attraction or area).

So the big hint, if they are recommending Hand-stamps, make sure and get a Disneyland Hand-stamp as soon as possible if you head to DCA.
    Did not know that.
    Nice to know.

The one flaw I see is
    if you hit D-land the morning (no stamp)
    ran to CA at 10 am (at opening)
    then got a DCA stamp when leaving (due to CM saying get a stamp now)
    You tech hit D-land firsst but going by stamp rule, you hit DCA first.
    I know I'm playing Devil's Advocate, sorry.
    Still think the computer is the best way to judge.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

I was there on Sunday and re-entered Disneyland two times without any hand stamp problems.

I wonder what the deal was.

I always get a hand stamp when I first leave Disneyland just in case. (though they've never once checked it upon re-entering DCA and DLR)

It doesn't take up any time and it's a good safety precaution since you never know what's going to happen or what error might pop up.

When you enter the park for the first time you get a magical buzz like brrrinng sound

the second time you get a weee wooh when they scan your ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfito View Post
    When you enter the park for the first time you get a magical buzz like brrrinng sound

the second time you get a weee wooh when they scan your ticket
    Isn't that "wee wooh" sound what you hear when you go in the first time? I've heard the buzz too but I think it's only been when someone had a bad ticket or something.

The first sound is actually a bird chirping. If you've seen Song of the South it's identical to the sound one of the birdies makes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast