Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

AP to go up $200 over the next 5 years

Hi everyone,

I was listening to the 8/9 edition of the Magical Definition Podcast and they discussed that Disney is planning to increase the price of the premium annual pass $40 a year for the next 5 years. Getting the price of that pass up to $590 and passes like the Southern California to $280 (I did the math on this one myself by adding $20 a year compared to the $40 for the Premium) and also adding more block out dates. They discussed the reasoning would be that when they are done with DCA expansion there would be more attractions and theme park for the AP. Also, there is a problem with crowding, AP holders not spending money, and rude behavior from the APs. They believe the price increase will hopefully keep the diehards but eliminate some of the AP while maintaining their income with the price increase. Remember this is just a RUMOR, and even if the company is planning this, a LOT can change over the next 5 years.

Let me know what you all think about this rumor.

I personnaly was expecting major price increases over the next few years, because of the DCA expansion, but I was expecting the Premium to go up to $500 over the next 5 years not $600. I will probably still get the Premium pass but it will be a HUGE decision every year for me now. For $600 I would expect their to be a Water Park or a third theme park. If not I would need more benifits than what the AP currently gives. Cause $600 just is too much for 2 parks and free parking.
    Last edited by Homan; 08-19-2009 at 09:06 AM.

• Banned User

Re: AP to go up $200 over the next 5 years

This is outrageous. It will definitely make them lose so AP holders, and I think they want that because of the overflow of APs.

If it jumps another 40 next year I am done, my visits will revert back to December visits and once during the spring every couple of years. Sorry that is just to much for me to spend. I am sure gas prices will rise again making the so cal run to $pendy for single day shots to the park.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

I really don't understand why they don't just eliminate the SoCal Select and SoCal APs altogether if they really want to lower the amount of annual passholders who go to their parks. That would cut out a fairly big chunk.

<Joe>

• Closed Account

I think it's great! The less APs, the better--not only for the crowds, but for Disneyland itself.

True. I couldn't BELIEVE the lines when Toy Story Mania! and Finding Nemo Sub Voyage opened.
    It was ridiculous.
    They had hour/s long waits that stretched to each parks entrance. geeeze.
    -"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

Well from the podcast they don't exactly want to eliminate the APs. For example see their Monthly payment plan. It seems they just want to eliminate the extremely heavy crowds who are not buying stuff. So their theory is that if they are not buying stuff then they will pay more for the pass. At the same time the attendance will relax.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Good.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• I'm not really here

I actually can understand their reasoning for this. The effects of making APs really cheap is evident in the crowding and the type of crowds. It upsets me as it will make affording it harder for us (we were going to get one this year because we were planning multiple trips in the next year) but we may just pay the old fashioned way.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

It's good to eliminate a lot of the APs, yes, but I see no good in raising the prices THAT high.

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    I really don't understand why they don't just eliminate the SoCal Select and SoCal APs altogether if they really want to lower the amount of annual passholders who go to their parks. That would cut out a fairly big chunk.

<Joe>
    I agree! I mean, raising prices doesnt really eliminate non-die hards. It just keep the rich people, some of which arent die-hards. Some die-hards can't afford the price increases.

It's still a good deal. If the average AP goes once a month, it's only $50 a visit. However, for a family, it could be out of reach. I'm not really sure I could justify spending the $2400 for the PAP, as I work 6 days a week with only Saturday off so the other passes are useless to me.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Wouldn't it be better for them to just get rid of the payment plan and stop promoting the passes so heavily?
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • Senior Minion

While the rumored increased might be high, if other benefits are offered along with it I'd still get one. If things don't change and you just get the two parks with free parking, plus the discounts ... then I'd have to think about getting an AP since there are other more affordable options available.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Wouldn't it be better for them to just get rid of the payment plan and stop promoting the passes so heavily?
    Well I think the real problem this year has been the free birthday tickets that can be upgraded to an AP! There was obviously a plan to get people in for free and then pay a little for an AP to increase numbers in case the economy took an EXTREME fall and not that bad one that we have right now. It's like a supermarket stocking up on emergency supplies for hurricane season, but no hurricanes ever hit, so they are left with a mass of unwanted items. That's what is happening to Disneyland with APs. They stocked up on APs because it would get people to ome back and spend money because they thought that tourism was going to be essentially non-existent but just like in the supermarket scenario tourism never dropped so now they "overstocked" in a way.

They could eliminate this by not offering the payment plans like Dusty said, but they also should have NEVER allowed bithday tickets to be upgradeable...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast