Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Cheese With That Whine?

How does Dumbo work?(Magical)

So, with all this Disney magic in Magical, I was wondering, how does Dumbo work in magical, is there someone in him?Is he remotely controlled?
    Dude..

• Done waiting!!

Re: How does Dumbo work?(Magical)

Tink's inside Dumbo. After her opening she puts on the outfit and is lifted back out of the tree. Once the Dumbo sequence is over she reverts back to Tink for the closing. Dumbo isn't simply a costume though, its more of a full body puppet if that makes sense.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Cheese With That Whine?

Quote Originally Posted by goofypirate View Post
    Tink's inside Dumbo. After her opening she puts on the outfit and is lifted back out of the tree. Once the Dumbo sequence is over she reverts back to Tink for the closing. Dumbo isn't simply a costume though, its more of a full body puppet if that makes sense.
    How do the ears flap and stuff like that? Is she puppetering it from inside?
    Dude..

• Future Imagineer! =D

I rarely watch the fireworks unless it's December or I heard they were fabulous, but I decided to watch the fireworks a few times this summer to see Dumbo and each time I've watched them they don't have him working! >=/ Anyways, I was also wondering how Dumbo worked
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Following the Second Star

If my memory is correct, there is one lever that controls the ears, and one that controls the legs. Tink gets in, he flies, she puppeteers, lands, gets back as Tink, and flies again.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• Queen Elsa

I think you mean how dose Dumbell work heehee get it Dumbell. That's what I call him or her or both.

• Minion

Um no! Tink does not get in there, no ones inside. Dumbo is an animtronic thats pre animated with him moving his trunk and ears that was pre sycronised. i'll post a video with one of the creators of magical explaining it.

heHeHeHe my bad!
    Last edited by Dlandclub33; 08-20-2009 at 01:27 AM.

• Let there be light!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    Um no! Tink does not get in there, no ones inside. Dumbo is an animtronic thats pre animated with him moving his trunk and ears that was pre sycronised. i'll post a video with one of the creators of magical explaining it.

Flying Dumbo to star in new Disneyland fireworks show - Travel - LATimes.com

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

What?? It's tinkerbell in there??

I didn't know that...

So how does that explain the nights where tinkerbell flies and dumbo doesn't? (for whatever reason)

• Gateway Fantasmic!

Ya! Why would they have Tink inside?
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

I would love to see this technique in action.

I waited 2 1/2 hours for the show once and dumbo didn't fly. Since then I've just watched from small world.

One of these days I'll have to risk the wait again. Not sure when that day is going to come, though.

• Minion

oh...Sorry hehehe didnt know that! Thats really Intersting!

• Let there be light!

Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    What?? It's tinkerbell in there??

I didn't know that...

So how does that explain the nights where tinkerbell flies and dumbo doesn't? (for whatever reason)
    Lets sort out the flight pattern first...
    Tink starts out flying from the Matterhorn and ends at the fake tree in Frontierland. Then Dumbo appears from Frontierland and exits back to Frontierland. Tink then reappears from Frontierland...and yet again, makes an exit in Frontierland.
    The crew and tink performer have four and half minutes to make the transition (Pinocchio and Mary Poppin Scenes).
    As soon as she arrives, they have to unhook the cables, and pluck the wings off the costume as well as the battery pack that power the wings. She then has to climb into the puppet dumbo. The techs then have to reattach all cable hook ups. Then run saftey tests to make sure everything is properly attached. Keep in mind, all in 4 mins. and safety is number 1 priority.
    If the transition doesn't go smoothly or a tech spots a problem, all bets are off, no questions asked (until after the show, haha).

Then keep in mind, if Dumbo flies, they have to reverse the process in 3 mins. to have Tink appear for the finale. It's all about timing and safety.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtherock View Post
    Ya! Why would they have Tink inside?
    Why hire two performers when one can do the job just fine. Either way, if there were a second performer, it wouldn't speed up the process much, they still would have to wait for the harness system to come in and for Tink to make a safe and happy landing.

• Following the Second Star

heHeHeHe my bad!
    I know that you realized your mistake, but think about that. That doesn't make sense. Dumbo is HUGE. If he were an animatronic, he wouldn't be able to fly. He would be way too heavy.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• A Disney Examineer

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLD View Post
    Lets sort out the flight pattern first...
    Tink starts out flying from the Matterhorn and ends at the fake tree in Frontierland. Then Dumbo appears from Frontierland and exits back to Frontierland. Tink then reappears from Frontierland...and yet again, makes an exit in Frontierland.
    The crew and tink performer have four and half minutes to make the transition (Pinocchio and Mary Poppin Scenes).
    As soon as she arrives, they have to unhook the cables, and pluck the wings off the costume as well as the battery pack that power the wings. She then has to climb into the puppet dumbo. The techs then have to reattach all cable hook ups. Then run saftey tests to make sure everything is properly attached. Keep in mind, all in 4 mins. and safety is number 1 priority.
    If the transition doesn't go smoothly or a tech spots a problem, all bets are off, no questions asked (until after the show, haha).

Then keep in mind, if Dumbo flies, they have to reverse the process in 3 mins. to have Tink appear for the finale. It's all about timing and safety.
    Nope, it's a puppet. Otherwise, there'd be no problem showing Dumbo every single day of Magical. And I asked why Dumbo hadn't shown up once, and it was because of technical issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast