Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Lands Different Scenery

I have been thinking about this for a while, but simply can't remember. What lands did you use to visit that have now changed to either add or decrease the look of the land?

Mine is Critter Country. I had visited Disneyland before Splash Mountain opened, but I don't recall how it looked. Does anyone remember what was in the space that Splash Mountain now occupies? Bigger question, does anyone have pictures of this part of the land before the ride was built?
    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13...

Re: The Lands Different Scenery

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a while, but simply can't remember. What lands did you use to visit that have now changed to either add or decrease the look of the land?

Mine is Critter Country. I had visited Disneyland before Splash Mountain opened, but I don't recall how it looked. Does anyone remember what was in the space that Splash Mountain now occupies? Bigger question, does anyone have pictures of this part of the land before the ride was built?

Critter Country never existed before Splash. Bear Country did with the main attraction being CBJ.
    I take banner requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_Jafar View Post
    Critter Country never existed before Splash. Bear Country did with the main attraction being CBJ.
    Your right I forgot that was added. Then what was around CBJ because the entrance is far from the HM exit?
    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13...

• Greetings, Program!

Nothing was there as far as this old man can remember. I seem to recall only a faux rocky wall with a cave opening near the top where "Rufus" the snoring bear was perpetually hibernating.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    Nothing was there as far as this old man can remember. I seem to recall only a faux rocky wall with a cave opening near the top where "Rufus" the snoring bear was perpetually hibernating.
    Can't remember
    but wasn't it "Indian Country" first...or somethiing like that
    then it went to Bear Country
    Now it's Critter Country

So I'd said it was a tepee first
    then something to do with bears after that
    I think it's the shack (store) has always been there (was like a trading post before)

someone w/ a better memory can correct me
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Found this (yesterland):

Here in the rustic woods of Bear Country, you’ll find an old wooden cabin with a stone chimney and grass growing on the roof. Step inside. Shop for Indian arts and crafts, including a large selection of pottery and turquoise jewelry.
    The Indian Trading Post opened in 1956 as part of Disneyland’s Indian Village. The store was part of the “show,” adding to the atmosphere of the Indian Village, and selling merchandise appropriate to its surroundings.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Greetings, Program!

Ah....pretty sure the Indian Village was gone by the time my folks starting taking me to DL around 73-74.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

or

“Residents” of the Indian Village invite you to enjoy Native American traditions. The Indian Village in Disneyland opened in 1955 near Adventureland. In 1956, it moved to the location that it would occupy until 1971. With the closing of the Indian Village, the Indian War Canoes became Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes. In 1972, a new land, Bear Country (now Critter Country), replaced the Indian Village. The Indian Trading Post remained the Indian Trading Post until 1989, when it became the Briar Patch due to its proximity to Splash Mountain.
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Ceremonial Dance Circle Free While visiting the Indian Village, don’t miss a performance at the Dance Circle. You’ll gain a greater appreciation for Native American traditions as you watch six authentic tribal dances:

• The Omaha (called the War Dance by white settlers)
    • The Shield and Spear
    • The Eagle
    • The Zuni-Comanche
    • The Mountain Spirit
    • The Friendship dances

If you’re a child, you’ll be invited to join the dancers for the Friendship dances.
    The Eagle At Disneyland, the Cermonial Dance Circle was part of the park’s Indian Village. When the Indian Village closed in 1971, so did the Dance Circle.
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• =)

It's actually really difficult to find post-Indian-Village shots of the exact spot where Splash Mountain currently is. MCer Mojave has some absolutely fantastic shots of the construction, though.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Intrigued by this (taken fro Mohave33 site)

what is this (or where):

Emptied (building torn out):

Now filled back up:

late to become part of the ride?
    or where the boats are docked when not in use (by the old McDonald's Fry house across from HM)?
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• Californian Fox-Wolf

Judging by the existence of a track, I believe it is the latter.
    Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
    I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

Ahh thats right my mom used to take about the sleeping bear and how you could hear it snore. Thax for informing me on what was there. Now the indian village part, way before my time. Sorry guys, no way I'd remember seeing that. Anyone else know of places you might have enjoyed and were sad when they tore it out or replaced it for something else?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

as posted on yesterland:

"Rufus the Bear moved into Splash Mountain for a couple of years. You could hear him snoring right before the first drop. Rufus was chased out by Brer Bear, who now lives in the cave. "

Now I know why I haven't heard Rufus snore in a long time.
    Wonder if it broke and they just haven't fixed it or it was enough nostalgia for two years.

Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit View Post
    Anyone else know of places you might have enjoyed and were sad when they tore it out or replaced it for something else?

I personally miss Alpine Gardens (Former House of the Future site, now Pixie Hollow). Used to love going there at night just to chill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast