Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Comparing Monsters Inc. to Fantasyland Attractions

Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    What I don't get is how you all think Peter Pan is like some piece of attraction royalty and are willing to wait 40+ minutes to experience an aged ride with effects not even coming close to those in Monsters (i.e. disappearing alien, infinity doors, interactive audio animatronic).

So explain me your reason and logic in that? Is everything built in walt's time just automatically better than similar rides built today with better technology?

And why compare it to two e-tickets? That doesn't seem fair at all.

Pick a fantasyland dark ride and tell me how Monsters is so inferior. (the outside queue is the only thing I can think of)
    Ok, I can give you a few reasons why the majority of people love the Fantasyland attractions over Monsters Inc.

1. The Exterior - I don't think this needs explaining because it's obvious.

2. The Interior - Compare the interior queue of Snow White to that of the one in Monsters. The experience is cohesive inside and outside when it seems they ran out of money for the queue at DCA and made no attempt to hide it.

3. You are comparing an attraction that was made 40-50 years ago to a modern one? The Fantasyland attractions I believe are artistically superior in every way. They may not have modern technologies but they make up for it in other areas just like Jungle Cruise does, it has charm. The very idea you would even contemplate comparing these old attractions to the modern one says a lot about the quality of Monsters. There should be no comparison and Monsters should win hands down but it doesn't by a long shot and that's the problem.
    4. The attractions in Fantasyland are compact in nature giving an in your face feeling. The cars are smaller, the actual paths are narrower, and the cars are faster. In Monsters you have to share a vehicle with others and the pathways are too wide for such little animation. The only way for it to make up for this is to have full animated Animatronics, something to wow the guests. The scene with the helicopter and the doors is a perfect example of what they need more of on that attraction.

5. Unique experiences - Can you honestly deny that flying in a boat is more thrilling than a ugly taxi cab?

6. Darker - Every single Fantasyland attraction uses this very old technique to create a cool factor not present very often on Monsters. The only rooms that manage to do this in some fashion is the tunnel entrance and the door room.

7. You say that comparing E-Tickets to Monsters isn't fair however, I can compare the detailing of Fantasyland attractions to that of the E-tickets. The quality of the build may not be nearly the same (Cardboard) but the care of detailing is the same (Paintings).

8. Monsters Inc. the movie isn't nearly on the same level as Peter Pan or any of the classics.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 08-22-2009 at 11:18 AM.

• Greetings, Program!

Re: Comparing Monsters Inc. to Fantasyland Attractions

delete
    Last edited by Ortizmo2000; 08-22-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Saw the thread from whenst this argument started. Want no part of it.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Thanks for starting this thread here Seawolf.

I agree on a number of things.

*Peter Pan you fly in a pirate ship, MI you drive in recycled superstar limos

*It's tough to compare a 50 year old CLASSIC to a pixar movie that's OK compared to most others.

* The exterior of MI is pretty pathetic.

What Mosnster Inc has going for it is well-crafted execution of some areas (the doors) and Roz is worth the ride alone. Nostalgic plays a BIG part and MI will never even be close to Pan but maybe that isn't fair, but it is a feeling I get and that's what separates Disney from other parks that I frequent.

• Sha-lalalalala my oh my

I enjoy both rides very much. They are both great attractions, but they should be judged on completely different scales...

Peter Pan's Flight is a classic attraction that is an original to the park. I can't think of very many rides that have the same feeling as Peter Pan's Flight... It takes you not only into the classic Disney film, but also into the Peter Pan books by J.M. Barrie. The character Peter Pan has been apart of popular culture since the early 1900s. The Peter Pan Flight attraction has a history that can not be messed with...

While on the other hand you have Monster's Inc... I personally love Monster's Inc. It is an adorable ride, but simply does not have the history and nostalgia of Peter Pan's Flight. The effects are great and the story is fun and exciting... but it is just too early to even think of putting it in the same rank as Peter Pan's Flight. Monster's Inc (in general - the ride and story) has been around only for a few years compared to Peter Pan. Monster's Inc is the new kid on the block...only time will tell....Classics are not made overnight.

• Minion

My impressions of Monsters, inc.:

It is a strange mix of very well done art work and cheap cardboard cut-outs. In the Fantasyland rides the level of artwork seems more consistent throughout the ride.

It seemed rather creepy to hear so much dialog coming from statues that don't move. Rides like the Fantsyland dark rides have very limited dialog and rides like PotC, HM, and SM have a lot of dialog and singing from figures that are much more animated.

My overall impression is that if they had just used a little more effort it would be a much better ride. They could have made it more like the Fantasyland rides or more like the E-tickets but instead it is stuck in this strange in-between state.

• Light up the HALO!

This
    As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Monsters is like Pooh both arent the best Dark rides but have no line (most of the time) so I love them just as much as the other Dark rides.

• Dream in wonderful color!

I happen to prefer Monsters Inc. The FL rides are classic and very cute, but Monsters Inc is a superior attraction.

• "I Break Things"

I've thought about this a few times. I think Monsters came out great considering what they had to work with. My complaints are pretty basic.

The exterior has stencils on the back indicating that they are stage sets... which is great... except the queue and the ride don't bother to tell you that you are on a film set! They could have easily themed both the queue and the attraction to indicate this. I think it would have been a lot better with a storyline that included us seeing the movie being filmed... instead of a simple movie rehash.

Pan's fun. Personally Toad is my favorite. I just don't understand the constant need to compare the current to the classic. Pan is 50 years old. I would think comparing anything "now" to something 50 years ago would be insulting...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• world class bilge rat

I have to agree with some of the others here, they're two different classes of rides.

If MI or Pooh were actually in Fantasy Land, they'd be out of place. Way out of place.

I'm 52, every time I'm at DL, I ride most of the rides in FL. I thoroughly enjoy each one. The basic theme, the graphics, the attention to detail, and a host of other things make the experience very pleasant.

I also ride MI and Pooh. For the exact same reasons. But the experience is slightly different on these rides. They have a slightly different effect on me. Maybe because they're brighter, maybe because they're newer, I really can't put my finger on it.

I enjoy both types of rides equally, but I approach each one with a slightly different attitude. I think personal expectations play a huge role in the outcome. My expectations is one of the few things I actually have control over. Once the ride starts, I can enjoy it far more with the right attitude.

Rob

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I agree with Tech Skip nearly 100% on what he's said.

Especially with the uniqueness of the ride vehicle being a Flying Boat, have to mention the night scene over London and Neverneverland. And also the compactness of Peter, Toad, Pinnochio, Snow and Alice dark rides gives them big plus in my book, comparred to the miles away scenery of Pooh, Monsters, and even Roger.

• =)

Meh. I find the execution of the attraction itself to be roughly on par with the FL dark rides, at least considering what the Imagineers had to work with. Like techskip, I think they made pretty good lemonade out of a batch of pretty sour lemons. It doesn't make thematic sense, and the exterior is lame, and it could be a little darker and more claustrophobic, and there's a bit of an excess of characters that speak without moving their mouths, but when I finally rode Monsters Inc., I was pleasantly surprised with how...not bad it was. Hardly the most lavish praise I could give to an attraction, but considering the circumstances in which it was built, I'm not too bent out of shape over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    4. The attractions in Fantasyland are compact in nature giving an in your face feeling. The cars are smaller, the actual paths are narrower, and the cars are faster. In Monsters you have to share a vehicle with others and the pathways are too wide for such little animation. The only way for it to make up for this is to have full animated Animatronics, something to wow the guests. The scene with the helicopter and the doors is a perfect example of what they need more of on that attraction.
    I think this is the biggest problem with that attraction and Pooh as well.

Part of the above problems can be fixed by adding animatronics that actually move like you mentioned or at least have mouth movement.

The other problem is a bit more complicated because new laws obligate WDI to allow plenty of room for emergency access guests. Sometimes it may require having enough room to bring in some kind of wheelchair to evacuate a guest.

The other reason why monsters sometimes also seems to have smaller lines is due to the bigger capacity it has compared to the older fantasyland attraction. Even this past week with huge crowds the lines moved quite fast.

with that said i do like what they did with Monsters Inc. my only big complaint is the queue. I think they could have taken a completely diferent direction with it

• Minion

Hard to compare the two rides and i hate peterpans que because i get a damn sunburnt everytime, all there ques are outside and pans is just a boaring switchback until you board. At leats MI is a combination and you can go inside at some point like BLAB. I like the que in monsters too, it has some theme. But like others have said a little more effort and its more immersive. I think also that the Fantasyland rides are to short and Snow White is dissapointing at the end. Isnt there suppose to be a scene with her and the prince? Toad is the best and Pinochio wasnt up when i last went so no comment. Overall i think MI is a very cool unique ride, its not one i ride over and over again, but when i was there a family was leaving and the little boy was screaming "daddy please let me ride it again! thats my favorite!," no joke. So it has appeal.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Monsters Inc. the movie isn't nearly on the same level as Peter Pan or any of the classics.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    This is where I think you're wrong. Monsters Inc. was a great film that deserves just as much praise as any "Disney Classic" IMO. It just hasn't developed that kind of nostalgia around itself yet.

I'll agree that Monsters Inc. the ride isn't quite as good as other FL dark rides, but considering the limits they had when they made it, I think that the imagineers did a pretty good job.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast