Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• "Always On The Move..."

Does Mulan Ever Show Up as Ping?

This is probably a question for Capt. Hook, but I've been looking for Mulan as Ping. When the Mulan Parade was on you could find Ping in the group of soldiers. You had to look closely for "him", but "he" was there. We always made a point of yelling "PING!" and always got a huge smile in return.

Mulan looks beautiful in her dress...but I'm a huge Ping fan and was wondering if "he" ever makes appearances now.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Faerie Godmother

Re: Does Mulan Ever Show Up as Ping?

Not to the best of my knowledge. The Ballgown Borg Collective has completely assimilated her. I find it highly annoying. I mean, way to betray the theme of the movie.

At least the character doll on IASW is in her armor. That's really the best aspect of the new additions.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Yeah I think she's been gone as a walk around character for a long time... I don't think she ever walked around in the armor suit though. At least, not to my knowledge...

Paging Capt. Hook. Paging Capt. Hook. Please report to this thread immdiently!
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Gateway Fantasmic!

Not that I am aware of.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

That would be weird, and confusing, though. Would "He" be refered to as "Ping" or would "she" sign as "Mulan?"

Confused? :confused:

• Queen Elsa

I have only seen Mulan as Mulan I do not believe there's a Ping.

• Faerie Godmother

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    That would be weird, and confusing, though. Would "He" be refered to as "Ping" or would "she" sign as "Mulan?"
    I think it would be funny to have the character start signing as "Mulan," then suddenly stop, scratch it out, look around to see if anyone noticed, and write "Ping" instead.

But on the off-chance that they did give us "Ping," she would probably just sign both names.

Ping used to visit in the Hollywood Backlot of DCA years ago. Sicne then, Mulan hasn't worn her armor to visit at the DLR. I did meet him/her at Hollywood Studios (still MGM Studios at the time) about 5 years ago though. Whether or not she busts out the armor over there, I couldn't tell ya (but I can't help but lean towards doubt it).

• Rock Star Minion

The only time I've ever seen Mulan was as Ping, sword and all. That was within a year of the movie release, though, and I generally go out of my way to avoid princesses with my two sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    The Ballgown Borg Collective has completely assimilated her.
    Nice one!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Everyone neat and pretty?

She used to walk around near the castle in the late 90's in the Ping costume. Usually near the Little Mermaid meet and great entrance. Did the meet and greet thing with her several times. Then one day she started only appearing the her bride (?) costume.
    "Some of us prefer illusion to despair!" ~ Nelson Muntz of The Simpsons when being teased for liking Snow White and being told that she was just an actress.

• Faerie Godmother

Quote Originally Posted by snowsbeau View Post
    She used to walk around near the castle in the late 90's in the Ping costume. Usually near the Little Mermaid meet and great entrance. Did the meet and greet thing with her several times. Then one day she started only appearing the her bride (?) costume.
    Five'll-getcha-ten it was around the time the Disney Princesses brand took off. Disney's Marketing Department wants its demographic segments predictable and manageable; can't have any little girls getting the idea that they could be brave heroes instead of frilly princesses, especially when it's so much easier to sell themed hair clips to the latter.

No, I'm not bitter or anything.

• "Always On The Move..."

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I wish Ping would show up. I'm also one for showing girls that they can be heros instead of waiting to be rescued. Ping was a heck of a role model!!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Boat shoes all day long

Funny you should mention Ping. This guy I know, currently attending Carnegie Mellon, named Ping works for an awesome Chinese take-out restaurant in Pitt, PA. He is a laugh riot and would make a great character at the park!

But as far as the Mulan version of Ping - never heard of her.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Yeah, Ping exists... I only remember personally seeing him (her?) in the Mulan parade when the movie came out... but I went searching and found him in a few other places

One was apparently in a Magic Kingdom show (so Disney World not Land)

The other was in the backlot like someone else mentioned (can't get the img to work so here's the link)
    Mulan as Ping on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Also there's apparently a Shang face character out there (this looks like it might be at the Studios) (also sorry for the bad quality it was all I could find)

*shrug* It doesn't help the fact that she's always in the dress and never Ping. I guess she wouldn't be as easily recognized (and it's hard to market her as the princess she really isn't if she's wearing boys clothes)

• A Weather Eye Open

I think she would sign as Mulan and be referred to as 'she', because throughout the movie, the audience is fully aware that she is Mulan that whole time. We don't watch it as if she is two different characters, because we know it's a disguise and her personality when not in front of the boys is very consistant with her before the disguise. Also, referring to the girl in armor as a she is more aware of the point of the movie - that girls can be heroes - than drawing some kind of gender distinction based on a clothes or a disguise.

Wish I could've met her in the armor! Especially since in the movie she didn't much like her girly matchmaker outfit and makeup.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast