Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Does seeing the hotels bother anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    At one point, I believe they were going to add a hotel to Hollywoodland and that would have been cool too, because there are hotels in Hollywood and thematically it would have looked great.
    I was under the impression they already had one.

• Release your doo-dahs!

In all honesty, I wish they would just bulldoze Paradise Pier Hotel to the ground and start over from scratch.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

No because I always thought of the park as...none Disney more of a six flags across the way from Disneyland.

• Minion

Weird, I personally like it. I could only imagine how fun it'd be to have a room seeing into the amusement parks. That seems fun to me.

• Minion

Within reason, you should not be able to see real world buildings from a themed land inside a Disney theme park, any more than you should be able to see the crew, microphones, lights, etc. while watching a movie.

GCH does fit the theme, so it gets a marginal pass, but you can still tell it's a "real" hotel compared to the theme park buildings.

Paradise Pier needs some way of visually blocking out modern day Anaheim if they ever hope to have a period theme. Can you imagine seeing the Anaheim Convention Center from the middle of Main Street, U.S.A.?
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancr78 View Post
    One thing that has always bothered me about California Adventure, particularly Paradise Pier, is that you can see the Paradise Pier hotel and the Grand Californian hotel so clearly. Especially as I watch the slow transformation and improvement of that area it just seems wrong that two of the resort hotels are so visible while you are in the park. I realize that nothing will probably ever be done about this, and I know that there is a similar arrangement at TDS, although the hotels there are so well themed that you don't even know that they are hotels, really. Thoughts?

Absolutely I'm bothered. The Paradise Pier especially because it wasn't a disney Hotel to start. It just got painted over and themed to the tackiest land of DCA. Looking at the actual lot, there's a lot of room for them to rebuild the sucker, but they have to make sure they have enough rooms elsewhere before they can start that.

As for Grand Californian, I was okay with it over in the wilderness area, but I'm EXTREMELY bothered by the expansion of it into the paradise pier area. Now Paradise Pier's growth is actually stunted. They wouldn't be able to build a tall show building for a great attraction along that entire area because it would block people's view of World of Color.

Apparently, selling hotel rooms is more important than making sure the theme park itself has room to grow.

I'm not against rooms with a view per se. Like Disneyland Paris and at Tokyo Disney Seas, those hotels are all built as part of the design and complement both the guests of the park and the hotel.

The hotels seen from DCA don't support the park as well. (blame a lot of it on the poor layout.)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

In all the years I've been going to the park I've never even thought about the motels there let alone noticed that they exist while I'm inside the park. I guess I'm always to busy immersing myself in the fantasy of the outside world not existing when I'm there to pay attention to stuff like that. So I think that means my answer is no.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    Especially when you see the INCREDIBLE amount of detail and imagination and ingenuity that went into building Tokyo Disney Seas, which was built at the same time and opened the same year as California Adventure....
    To be fair, Tokyo DisneySea also has sightline issues. From areas at the American Waterfront, you can see a big ball shaped power plant looking thing and a very ugly hotel & spa builing in the distance. And then there are hotels popping up from behing the Lost River Delta/Arabian Coast corner of the park, that Guests staying at the MiraCosta can see (I saw them, anyway).
    Last edited by Grizzly; 08-24-2009 at 05:27 AM.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    In all the years I've been going to the park I've never even thought about the motels there let alone noticed that they exist while I'm inside the park. I guess I'm always to busy immersing myself in the fantasy of the outside world not existing when I'm there to pay attention to stuff like that. So I think that means my answer is no.
    Well all of those motels outside of Disneyland are only a few stories so they're more likely to be shield off from view, am I right? This is where the irony of having those +10 story Disney hotels right next to the parks play the problem.

Though I look at it all as something completely unpreventable. We can only hope that Disney does their best to cover the new stuff up.

• MC's #1 Mars Volta fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    At one point, I believe they were going to add a hotel to Hollywoodland and that would have been cool too, because there are hotels in Hollywood and thematically it would have looked great.
    Ah but there already is a hotel in Hollywoodland:The Hollywood Tower

• "I Break Things"

Thankfully it will be pretty easy to make any tower match Paradise Pier's theme... just spraypaint a few dozen Disney characters on it and it'll match!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    GCH does fit the theme, so it gets a marginal pass, but you can still tell it's a "real" hotel compared to the theme park buildings.
    This is an interesting criticism. I've always thought that verisimilitude was the primary objective of themed design — basically convincing people that what they're looking at really COULD BE a castle/mountain/jungle river/what-have-you.

From that standpoint, I'm not sure how GCH's status as an actual hotel properly themed to the surrounding area can be counted as a negative. Does there also need to be an element of the "fake" for a piece of theming to truly succeed? Would it be preferable for the imposing facade of the hotel to house a couple of restrooms or an ice cream stand, or to have fake doors on the outside which don't open? Can being too "real" break the theme?

(Hope this doesn't come off as nitpicking. I'm genuinely interested in where this line of thinking leads!)

• Light up the HALO!

I have stayed at the GCF many times. Every Time I have gotten a room by soarin. When I am in the room and lookout of the window, I feel like I am in a lodge in tahoe. As for when I am looking at It from the ground it fits in great with all of the pines around It. I think it is one of the only thing that they did right in DCA.

Paradise pier BLOW IT UP today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps. Perferably with Pressler in it. Ha Ha
    As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

• Making my own Mousekteers

I've never been able to see the hotels in Disneyland. It's because the burm makes it impossible. They need to do something similar in DCA. A facade may help the problem.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• Boat shoes all day long

The answer to this old friend is foliage. DCA needs to either get in the game, or if they already have, pour on some miracle grow and get the shrubbery built up along the perimeters of the park. This will at least make seeing out of it difficult. However, as I am writing this, I just realized that the Disney hotels have higher priced rooms with “park views.” So as long as they can see you, you will be able to see them.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast