Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Does seeing the hotels bother anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    To be fair, Tokyo DisneySea also has sightline issues. From areas at the American Waterfront, you can see a big ball shaped power plant looking thing and a very ugly hotel & spa builing in the distance.
    Sounds pretty American to me actually...

I've never had a problem with seeing the hotels. HOWEVER, when I was there Saturday, I had a revelation. It's bugs me that DCA closes at 10 when DL closes at Midnight. There are nights my family would rather be over on Screamin' or Soarin' instead of Small World or Buzz. NOPE. CLOSED! WHY DO THEY DO THAT!?!?!? It hit me that MAYBE it's because of the GCH. It would be hard to sleep with the park in full swing. If I'm right, I resent having the hotels there becuase they are ruining my fun! Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by MaliceInWonderland View Post
    testify... Has anyone else noticed that Paradise Pier is much less immersive than the other lands at Disney's California Adventure? I have, and the reason is the Anaheim Convention center and the Hilton. The Paradise Pier Hotel is a fixable eyesore. It can be re-themed. Sure it would cost a boatload of Disney Dollars, but it could become a Victorian themed Hotel to blend with Paradise Pier. As stated previously in this thread, I agree that Disney's Grand Californian fits nicely in the Grizzly Peak area. I personally love having it there, how cool to have a Hotel actually open into the park? But the Anaheim Convention Center... even if Disney had control over it what kind of theming could hide that spaceship? Fortunately the bright lights of Mickey's Fun Wheel will hide those detriments to architecture from World of Color viewers.
    I agree.
    This Disney hotels don't bother me much, it's the other things that you can see.
    It also kinda bothers me (even though the geek in me likes seeing backstage stuff...but then again I'm making an effort and it's not something that sticks out in an obvious way) that you can see backstage on Katella of DCA. Even the tram ride you can see parts of D-land. Walt was so careful to hide the magic and keep you feeling like your in a whole nother world.
    DCA def doesn't feel like you've escaped to another world.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Tech in Training

To be honest, I never even realized that the PPH existed until people began pointing it out on micechat. I guess I'm a sucker for my gaze being drawn into the park rather than out of it. So to me it doesn't really matter because my view never reaches beyond the limits of the park.

• Making my own Mousekteers

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJoe View Post
    I've never had a problem with seeing the hotels. HOWEVER, when I was there Saturday, I had a revelation. It's bugs me that DCA closes at 10 when DL closes at Midnight. There are nights my family would rather be over on Screamin' or Soarin' instead of Small World or Buzz. NOPE. CLOSED! WHY DO THEY DO THAT!?!?!? It hit me that MAYBE it's because of the GCH. It would be hard to sleep with the park in full swing. If I'm right, I resent having the hotels there becuase they are ruining my fun! Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

It's not because of the hotel. It's because DCA gets half the attendance of Disneyland and they can't justify the expense of keeping it open later. Although once the World of color show starts they will probably have to open later in order to have two showings.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    i think the GCH is fine, but now that they're expanding closer to Paradise Pier , it's gonna be a little awkward, it's TOO close i think. and as for the PPH, i really wish they would tear it down.
    When you had the Green Meadow as a buffer, it seemed to work, but yes....now things seem sandwiched on top of each other.

I have no problem with seeing hotels...it makes it festive, and it seems to me part of the immersive experience, particularly if you are staying on-property...the idea that your special home is right there. But you do need the transition of buffer zones and set-backs, which seem to be lost in the remodeling.

Paradise Pier Hotel was particularly nice when you got a park view and could watch the Electrical Parade from your room.

The views from the GCH were magical with the lit-up sunwheel, and of course the Green Meadow framing all those lights in a kind of surreal forest. Again, that seems to be lost now.

Once World of Color starts, maybe it will be fun watching it from the rooms, and it will be visible from both Paradise Pier Hotel and GCH, hopefully...with a park view.

There are different things they could do, particularly at night, to "Disney-fy" the hotels a bit more.

The structures could be lit to where they are bathed in a pastel glow (Paradise Pier Hotel), or a more vivid green glow for the GCH, with floodlights etc. Better, and more fanciful night lighting for the hotels would be far cheaper than a re-theming, and would go a long way to giving the structures that Disney-fantasy look !

• MC's #1 Mars Volta fan

Well since the Grand Californian fits the Golden State theme it doesn't really bother me. As for Paradise Pier...the land's theme is so all over the place already that I don't let it get to me.
    The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter!
    http://mongrelarchitect.tumblr.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/coolstoryaj

I don't think I have ever even thought about it when I am in DCA. It has never bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    I have no problem with seeing hotels...it makes it festive, and it seems to me part of the immersive experience, particularly if you are staying on-property...the idea that your special home is right there. But you do need the transition of buffer zones and set-backs, which seem to be lost in the remodeling.

Paradise Pier Hotel was particularly nice when you got a park view and could watch the Electrical Parade from your room.

The views from the GCH were magical with the lit-up sunwheel, and of course the Green Meadow framing all those lights in a kind of surreal forest. Again, that seems to be lost now.

Once World of Color starts, maybe it will be fun watching it from the rooms, and it will be visible from both Paradise Pier Hotel and GCH, hopefully...with a park view.

There are different things they could do, particularly at night, to "Disney-fy" the hotels a bit more.

The structures could be lit to where they are bathed in a pastel glow (Paradise Pier Hotel), or a more vivid green glow for the GCH, with floodlights etc. Better, and more fanciful night lighting for the hotels would be far cheaper than a re-theming, and would go a long way to giving the structures that Disney-fantasy look !
    Really, wow, I think that's the first time I've heard any positive comments about the view from PPH. I'm sure GCH has a much better view but I haven't stayed there yet.

I can't believe you want to light them up. I look forward to nighttime so that I don't have to see them.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

For those not bothered, is it because you don't realize how important it was for Walt to keep the outside on the outside, invisible from view? Disneyland was built with that idea. When DCA opened, it wasn't.

For many of us it wasn't just another problem to look for. It was THERE. It was staring right back and there was no hiding from it. I'm less bothered by the fact that the hotels are there actually. I'm more bothered with Disney's non-existent attempts at covering them up.

This is all Disney Design 101 and they didn't pass. They didn't even take the course.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    For those not bothered, is it because you don't realize how important it was for Walt to keep the outside on the outside, invisible from view? Disneyland was built with that idea. When DCA opened, it wasn't.
    It might be important, but I don't see any reason to be dogmatic about it. As other people have pointed out, GCH is wonderfully themed to its area. The only possible reason I can see for not wanting it there is the simple fact that it is a hotel. I think the exterior of the building does just as good a job of disguising its mundane purpose as building a berm around DL does of blocking out Anaheim. If the only thing in there were bathrooms or CM backstage areas, I can't imagine anybody complaining about it.

Justifying PPH is trickier, but as someone (perhaps jokingly) said earlier, it also fits the "theme" of Paradise Pier in the sense that boardwalks really are surrounded by boring giant hotels staring you in the face. That might be more of a commentary on how weak PP's theme is than anything else, but I think there's a grain of truth to it. When I see PPH, I don't think "Wow, that really pulls me out of this illusion!"...because quite frankly, it doesn't.

In summary: Any complaining about seeing GCH strikes me as nit-picking, and valuing the letter of the "Disney law" over the spirit. As for PPH, those gripes are probably more truthfully complaints about Paradise Pier as a whole.

Honestly, I think the un-themed public areas you inevitably see on the monorail are MUCH more distracting than the DCA hotels.
    Last edited by CaliforniaDreaming; 08-26-2009 at 12:28 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
    It might be important, but I don't see any reason to be dogmatic about it. As other people have pointed out, GCH is wonderfully themed to its area. The only possible reason I can see for not wanting it there is the simple fact that it is a hotel. I think the exterior of the building does just as good a job of disguising its mundane purpose as building a berm around DL does of blocking out Anaheim. If the only thing in there were bathrooms or CM backstage areas, I can't imagine anybody complaining about it.

Justifying PPH is trickier, but as someone (perhaps jokingly) said earlier, it also fits the "theme" of Paradise Pier in the sense that boardwalks really are surrounded by boring giant hotels staring you in the face. That might be more of a commentary on how weak PP's theme is than anything else, but I think there's a grain of truth to it. When I see PPH, I don't think "Wow, that really pulls me out of this illusion!"...because quite frankly, it doesn't.

In summary: Any complaining about seeing GCH strikes me as nit-picking, and valuing the letter of the "Disney law" over the spirit. As for PPH, those gripes are probably more truthfully complaints about Paradise Pier as a whole.

Honestly, I think the un-themed public areas you inevitably see on the monorail are MUCH more distracting than the DCA hotels.

Some fair observations but the only nitpicking I've really done regarding Grand Californian is in regards to the expanded area. Being part of the Grizzly Recreation area was part of the intent, so, to be bothered by that is to simply not like the decision (which is fine if one feels that way).

The expanded area however... intrudes on Paradise Pier and these are two styles that aren't exactly lining up for me. My biggest gripe is that it limits the growth potential of that side of Paradise Pier where Mulholland Madness is. What if they wanted to build a new amazing attraction? Well.. they can't because it would block the view of hotel guests.

There's a time and place for everything and I think when the hotel gets in the way of theme parks, it does bother me moreso than the ugly sightlines.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    The expanded area however... intrudes on Paradise Pier and these are two styles that aren't exactly lining up for me. My biggest gripe is that it limits the growth potential of that side of Paradise Pier where Mulholland Madness is. What if they wanted to build a new amazing attraction? Well.. they can't because it would block the view of hotel guests.

There's a time and place for everything and I think when the hotel gets in the way of theme parks, it does bother me moreso than the ugly sightlines.
    Fair enough. DVC (I assume this is what the expansion is for?) seems to be swallowing everything in its path in Florida, like The Blob. If the same thing is happening in Cali, that's a complaint I can get behind.

• Minion

Paradise pier hotel is aneyesore indead! But when i stayed at the hotel (twice) Once two years ago and this past june the view of PP was breath taking! how i wish i could see the bay filled up with mickeys fun wheel lighting it up. On the pool deck they dim the lights and the firework muic comes on during the firework show and its a great view. I like the hotel a lot. But...

It need to go! Build a new hotel with a victorianish theme/boardwalk style. Maybe like a combo between Grand Floridian and the beach club hotel in WDW. They could make expand the property to fill up a little more than half of the simba lot and add nice landscaping with a wonderfully themed big pool in the center. The property could conect to DLH so it all fits in. Maybe a little lake? Idk Just some ideas.

As for the new expansion wing for grand californian. I think just rethem the side looking the pier to paridise pier theme. I dont think its that hard. A paint job, textures like claoboards that fit the theme, triming some extra elements, and hide it with treees so no one can really see.
    Last edited by Dlandclub33; 08-26-2009 at 05:46 PM.

I'm pretty sure that we're not going to get rid of PPH until it's run down enough to justify re-model. I mean, we're just now getting new Disneyland hotel towers because they couldn't stand the idea of losing the revenue from those rundown dilapidated rooms. They aren't going to lose the higher grossing rooms from PPH for god knows how long just to re-theme it. The best we could hope for would be a lipstick makeover to the outside and maybe the decorations inside.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast