Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Does seeing the hotels bother anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that we're not going to get rid of PPH until it's run down enough to justify re-model. I mean, we're just now getting new Disneyland hotel towers because they couldn't stand the idea of losing the revenue from those rundown dilapidated rooms. They aren't going to lose the higher grossing rooms from PPH for god knows how long just to re-theme it. The best we could hope for would be a lipstick makeover to the outside and maybe the decorations inside.

Right. Disneyland is kind of at that point right now where it needs to really think about how they're going to accommodate future visitors because as far as I can see it, they're needing some help even right now.

And I'm not just talking hotels, I'm talking parking too. There's a serious issue and Disney is king of in a trapped little spot and risking losing a lot of revenue while they fix up the Disneyland Hotel. A brand new Paradise Pier Hotel along with another huge parking complex would certainly help but it would take time.

What happened to the Garden Walk hotel situation?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Member; Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    What happened to the Garden Walk hotel situation?
    From what has been reported, that specific hotel
    project will happen after the Disneyland towers
    have completed their remodels.

However, the retheming of the Paradise Pier
    Hotel may happen sooner.

If the economy decides to pick up that is.

• Making my own Mousekteers

They have already gotten the approval for the new Parking structure and for a temporary extension of the parking by paving over the old strawberry fields and running a shuttle as a temporary palliative to the parking problem. It just went to the City board not too long ago.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    They have already gotten the approval for the new Parking structure and for a temporary extension of the parking by paving over the old strawberry fields and running a shuttle as a temporary palliative to the parking problem. It just went to the City board not too long ago.

Was it a parking STRUCTURE that was approved? I thought it was only a lot.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Hey, the chances are very good that while you're in an actual seaside amusement park, you'll be able to see ugly buildings that are located outside the park, so as far as I'm concerned, it's all perfectly thematically appropriate!
    I was thinking the same thing. Is anything in DCA really intended to transport you to another world (of fantasy or anything else) anyway?

Seeing a hotel from amidst a bunch of carnival rides really doesn't destroy the mood. For me anyway.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Is anything in DCA really intended to transport you to another world (of fantasy or anything else) anyway?

Seeing a hotel from amidst a bunch of carnival rides really doesn't destroy the mood. For me anyway.

Nothing was intended to transport you to another time or place when it was designed and built, and that is an error that Imagineering has admitted to. All of the expansion plans are put in place to steer as far away from that as possible. This is why Paradise Pier is going with a more victorian look. It's why Cars Land's eTicket will have a very tall canyon, and why the new entrance embodies a different decade all together.

• A Weather Eye Open

Just read the 1st page, but thought I'd throw in a couple cents and move on...

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    I think it's strange that they didn't theme the Grand Californian addition to match the Victorian style PP is going for. Of course, they might be planning on camouflaging it when they build TLM and re-theme the souvenir shop. PPH never seemed to bother me, for some reason.
    Grand California won't need to be rethemed... Craftsman architecture bgan in Victorian times and reached the height of it's popularity in Edwardian times through the 20s. The pier is being (well, was supposed to be, and looks like it won't be fully done) rethemed to turn of the century (that is what many people think of as Victorian, but the Victorian era started in the 1830s and lasted only until 1901, at Victoria's death. The following years are termed "Edwardian", ending in 1910, but they are often extended up through 1918, at the end of the WW1). That era, on and around the turn of the century, is often thought of as the heyday for early amusement parks and seaside piers, and the Arts and Crafts movement fits right in with that timing.

I agree that the Paradise Pier hotel is the bigger themeing problem; it kind of justs looks a little tacky on the outside, and would definitely be a theme intrusion if they are to ever successfuly finish retheming that area in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by MaliceInWonderland View Post
    testify... Has anyone else noticed that Paradise Pier is much less immersive than the other lands at Disney's California Adventure? I have, and the reason is the Anaheim Convention center and the Hilton. The Paradise Pier Hotel is a fixable eyesore. It can be re-themed. Sure it would cost a boatload of Disney Dollars, but it could become a Victorian themed Hotel to blend with Paradise Pier. As stated previously in this thread, I agree that Disney's Grand Californian fits nicely in the Grizzly Peak area. I personally love having it there, how cool to have a Hotel actually open into the park? But the Anaheim Convention Center... even if Disney had control over it what kind of theming could hide that spaceship? Fortunately the bright lights of Mickey's Fun Wheel will hide those detriments to architecture from World of Color viewers.
    They could just suck it up and build a berm around that end of the park. It desperately needs it. Or heavens, bring in some really tall trees, or even big building facades.
    I agree that the Paradise Pier could be rethemed to resemble a Queen Anne style or "gingerbread" style,and it would fit much better. It would be expensive and is unecessary for any other reason, but has the potential to look very good and I think it would convert easily with the right changes.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• DL Obsessed

I wouldnt say that it bothers me that the hotels are there, like they are a big distraction, but i know that its not exactly the most appealing thing to see. I think the GC is ok, because you dont notice it too much, but at the same time i with that they would focus on making DCA a little bit more of a "out of the real world" kind of place like Disneyland. With Disneyland you really forget about whats going on in the real world, while DCA not so much in my opinion.

So i would say addressing that issue first but i would say that that goes along with hiding the hotels a little bit better. Or forking up some money and instead of building hotels too close to the parks, expand the monorail system in order to accomedate more people like that, and make it even cooler, just like the Disneyland Hotel back in the day. I mean seriously, who didnt want to stay in the Disneyland Hotel for the sole reason of wanting to ride the shuttle in the morning straight into Disneyland?

I just wish people these days cared more about the product than making the stockholders rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Was it a parking STRUCTURE that was approved? I thought it was only a lot.

The lot was what went to the city planning board. But I know that the next phase is supposed to be a parking structure.

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post

Grand California won't need to be rethemed... Craftsman architecture began in Victorian times and reached the height of it's popularity in Edwardian times through the 20s. The pier is being (well, was supposed to be, and looks like it won't be fully done) re-themed to turn of the century (that is what many people think of as Victorian, but the Victorian era started in the 1830s and lasted only until 1901, at Victoria's death. The following years are termed "Edwardian", ending in 1910, but they are often extended up through 1918, at the end of the WW1). That era, on and around the turn of the century, is often thought of as the heyday for early amusement parks and seaside piers, and the Arts and Crafts movement fits right in with that timing.

Chronological arguments aside it's more about visual incongruity and the flow of the park. The theme of the GCH works in DCA because it flows with the Grizzly River area. Chucking part of that in the middle of a pseudo-Victorian seaside resort is definitely not going to make any visual or artistic sense. And unless posting a sign with the architectural history is a possibility, even then I don't think people would read it. It just won't LOOK right.

Hmm, I go to Disneyland and DCA multiple times a year, but I've never really noticed the PPH whenever inside the park. I only notice it from the upper floor of the parking structure. Now that I think about it, where exactly is it in relationship to PP? Does anyone have a picture?
    Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Visual incongruity can be what you make of it. The top of Space Mountain can be seen from Town Square, but few people seem to notice or care.

Before they remodeled the bathrooms on the west side of Main Street, I remember hearing sounds from the Jungle Cruise coming through the open windows. I always found that curious.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

Yes, you can see the top of Space mountain but if part of Space Mountain actually stuck into Main Street that is a totally different problem

• Silly Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    Before they remodeled the bathrooms on the west side of Main Street, I remember hearing sounds from the Jungle Cruise coming through the open windows. I always found that curious.
    Some shoppers are just animals really.

I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but the worst offense of all is being able to see the power lines on Katella near the hilton and convention center.

When the little mermaid ride opens up, there might be less sightline for GC, that should upset some hotel guests but be better for park visitors.
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

• Minion

After reading everyones comments about this subject, again it doesnt bother me.... I know if I was staying at one of the hotels I'd love it even more to just stare off into the park from my bedroom window.. Or pehaps watch the fireworks...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast