Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• We set sail for the sky

Does seeing the hotels bother anyone else?

One thing that has always bothered me about California Adventure, particularly Paradise Pier, is that you can see the Paradise Pier hotel and the Grand Californian hotel so clearly. Especially as I watch the slow transformation and improvement of that area it just seems wrong that two of the resort hotels are so visible while you are in the park. I realize that nothing will probably ever be done about this, and I know that there is a similar arrangement at TDS, although the hotels there are so well themed that you don't even know that they are hotels, really. Thoughts?

• Johnny and Me!

Re: Does seeing the hotels bother anyone else?

I think it's strange that they didn't theme the Grand Californian addition to match the Victorian style PP is going for. Of course, they might be planning on camouflaging it when they build TLM and re-theme the souvenir shop. PPH never seemed to bother me, for some reason.

• Senior Minion

To me, for sheer disbelief that the Walt Disney Company could have built such a thing, the view from almost anywhere in DCA is a close second to the contents of DCA.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Addicted to MC since '08

I don't mind the GCH that much, but I hate seeing the PP hotel from within the park.

• =)

Hey, the chances are very good that while you're in an actual seaside amusement park, you'll be able to see ugly buildings that are located outside the park, so as far as I'm concerned, it's all perfectly thematically appropriate!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancr78 View Post
    One thing that has always bothered me about California Adventure, particularly Paradise Pier, is that you can see the Paradise Pier hotel and the Grand Californian hotel so clearly. Especially as I watch the slow transformation and improvement of that area it just seems wrong that two of the resort hotels are so visible while you are in the park. I realize that nothing will probably ever be done about this, and I know that there is a similar arrangement at TDS, although the hotels there are so well themed that you don't even know that they are hotels, really. Thoughts?

I dont find the fact that the hotels are visible a problem.

I see it as a promissory note that at the end of the day of having fun in the park(s) and downtown disney, that in one of the three hotels (clearly visible, of course, meaning to me that they are easy to get to) there is a bed waiting. ( to rest of course untill the next day of fun

the comment about the hotels carefully themed so that they dont look like hotels? well, I beg to differ. they are definitely themed and designed with the disney touch, which I would not have it any other way. to theme them any other way would have them stick out like a sore thumb. to me if they were not themed, they were plain, run of the mill looking, they would not look like they belong in the resort area, like some third party company was leasing the property.

in other words ( ) seeing the hotels while I am in the parks doesnt bother me

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    I dont find the fact that the hotels are visible a problem.

I see it as a promissory note that at the end of the day of having fun in the park(s) and downtown disney, that in one of the three hotels (clearly visible, of course, meaning to me that they are easy to get to) there is a bed waiting. ( to rest of course untill the next day of fun

the comment about the hotels carefully themed so that they dont look like hotels? well, I beg to differ. they are definitely themed and designed with the disney touch, which I would not have it any other way. to theme them any other way would have them stick out like a sore thumb. to me if they were not themed, they were plain, run of the mill looking, they would not look like they belong in the resort area, like some third party company was leasing the property.

in other words ( ) seeing the hotels while I am in the parks doesnt bother me
    The Disneyland Hotel luckily had the Disney touch, but until the late 80s neither that nor the Paradise Pier Hotel were owned by Disney.

• Making my own Mousekteers

Well, when the Pier was the old incarnation of modernish Cali Boardwalk it didn't bother me to see PPH. It wasn't visibly incongruous with the look of the park. Now that it's all being re-themed to Victorian and TLM it's going to stick out like a Sore thumb. That's the reason Walt wanted that land in Fl so bad, he wanted to be able to make sure that the outside world could not intrude on the experience inside the park.

Incidentally, we stayed in the PPH for our Honeymoon and paid for a room with a view and I've never felt like I waisted money more. I was pregnant at the time and I had severe sciatica and couldn't walk much without my legs buckling out from underneath me. The walk from the hotel to the park was worse than if we'd stayed across the street and paid half as much. Even with a wheelchair it was beastly inconvenient. The view was of palm trees and the street next to the hotel with a very far distant DCA in the horizon. We paid $150 more for the "view". Absolutely ridiculous.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

The GCH is a lodge in the Sierras so it works perfectly fine for me. The new DVC wing, hmm, I'll have to wait until TLM and retheming of the area to the west is finished (and ultimately until when they put a new attraction into the MM/GSS pad). Hopefully, TLM and trees and such will make it blend in a little more.

PPH, that stands out - don't like it much.

At one point, I believe they were going to add a hotel to Hollywoodland and that would have been cool too, because there are hotels in Hollywood and thematically it would have looked great.
    Last edited by Mojave; 08-23-2009 at 10:21 PM.

• Banned User

It bothers me more seeing the Anaheim Convention Center and Hilton across Katella.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SanSooMaster View Post
    It bothers me more seeing the Anaheim Convention Center and Hilton across Katella.
    testify... Has anyone else noticed that Paradise Pier is much less immersive than the other lands at Disney's California Adventure? I have, and the reason is the Anaheim Convention center and the Hilton. The Paradise Pier Hotel is a fixable eyesore. It can be re-themed. Sure it would cost a boatload of Disney Dollars, but it could become a Victorian themed Hotel to blend with Paradise Pier. As stated previously in this thread, I agree that Disney's Grand Californian fits nicely in the Grizzly Peak area. I personally love having it there, how cool to have a Hotel actually open into the park? But the Anaheim Convention Center... even if Disney had control over it what kind of theming could hide that spaceship? Fortunately the bright lights of Mickey's Fun Wheel will hide those detriments to architecture from World of Color viewers.

• Making my own Mousekteers

They might be able to do something about sight lines though. It can bother if you if you can't see it.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• keh!

i think the GCH is fine, but now that they're expanding closer to Paradise Pier, it's gonna be a little awkward, it's TOO close i think. and as for the PPH, i really wish they would tear it down.

• The line's too long...

GCH is at least a pleasure to look at, but the PPH is an eyesore. Truth be told, it's in DCA so it doesn't matter as much to me as if it were in DL.

Yeah it's always bothered me that you could see the hotels in California Adventure... but not just that... you can see the Anaheim Convention Center across the street!

I mean, it would have been so easy to plant some trees to block the view or put up a fake facade like they have in ToonTown... but of course, they didn't.

Just another example of the incredible disregard for the park while building it and how they didn't care about making it on par with other Disney parks... especially Disneyland right across the way. No doubt had Walt spinning in his grave.
    Especially when you see the INCREDIBLE amount of detail and imagination and ingenuity that went into building Tokyo Disney Seas, which was built at the same time and opened the same year as California Adventure.... it's just shameful...
    And even with this over $1 billion upgrade, the park doesn't seem like it's going to be significantly better...
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast