Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

• "I Break Things"

Re: The Exploitation of Walt for Buena Vista St.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    ... as interpreted and idealized by Walt.
    So Walt dreams up an idealized version of Small Town America to open his first theme park. Disney Company dreams up "how Walt saw LA when he stepped off the train in 23" to re-open a struggling theme park... am I the only one who sees the irony in this? Instead of following the "artistic vision" of the company founder they are making him the co-theme... again 1920's is a strong theme so why even bother? It is easily just as strong if not stronger then 1900's Main Street USA.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    to me in concept art BVS looks stunning and does not scream walt. In fact CA does not scream walt i bet you that unless you understand the new direction going forward you would have no clue that it has traces of walt in it.
    Two things...

#1 The concept art for DCA before it opened looked absolutely stunning.

#2 Your statement above and your statement below appear to contridict each other. But I'll bite. If the place is a subtle tribute and will not scream Walt then why bring it up in the interview? Why say a word? Why not save it for a tour or for a book? If people on their own would not figure it out then why tell them and open Pandora's box?

Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    depends on how you view what Walts relation to anything disney is. One could say everything, without walt you have no cars you have no Bugs you have nothing, you have no CA you haven no micechat to argue on. In relevance to everything as a whole, it is all tied back to walt and miceky mouse.

The purpose of BVS is to show that walt is still the name of the company. However you feel about the cynical comparissions to this company and walt reflects your knoweldge, but the common guest sees TDA and Walt hand in hand. So when they mention BVS as a tribute to walt when he got off the train most people awe at the possibility. to walk in the mans footsteps so to say. Does this mean that the land is going to scream out his name and his focus i dont believe so, but until the land is built not one of us will know so we are all speculating as one would be speculating as a armchair imagineer...ideas hopes and dislikes.
    I believe California would still be around with or without the creative genius of Walt Disney...

For the public to be in awe of the tribute to Walt and truly enjoy a walk in his footsteps they would have to know that the tribute exsisted in the first place. That... would not be something subtle. I go back to my previous statements...

If the tribute is meant to be subtle then why bring it up? Why not save it for a book, or a "making of" DVD, or a tour? Why open Pandora's box? 1920's theme is strong enough on its own. Main Street USA's portrayal of 1900's America demonstrates that a period piece can be wildly successful. If the tribute is meant to be an actual tribute to Walt then how much of Walt do they plan to put into it? How strongly will they attempt to tie Walt to this theme and are they planning a gift shop/merchandise to benefit from the synergy? I honestly feel that this is an attempt to sell the concept to the diehard fan community. I feel it is exploiting Walt's image to sell it... and if they do in fact tie him to it then I am certain they will try to exploit his image via merchandise. More then anything I see no logical reason to include him. If Disney honestly wanted to honor the man they would build a better park, a park where the lands had a centralized theme. Call me crazy but maybe if they actually centered the park on CA then it would be DCA. Maybe then it wouldn't feel like Walt land, Bugs land, Cars land, spraypaint some classic characters pier, Hollywood and some random woods...

Honoring the man to me means more then dropping his name in an interview. It means holding your standards to his and actually trying to build something better then he already built.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Incorrect. I love Disney magic and Disneyland passionately.

But I choose to not fool myself that today's Disney is something it is not.

There is a difference between making money from magic, and making money by strip mining the magic made by others. It is a difference of not only business, but of heart.

It is your choice to see the difference, or not, as you wish.

there lies the problem so many people choose to turn a blind eye to whats really going on..i agree with you..i love disney..the name, the parks and the quality that once was.. not that the things today isnt quality made..its a diffrent disney altogether then when we grew up with it weve watched it change from what we had to now and todays audience is(and i mean no disrespect).brainwashed and spoonfed and and dont question what is quality and what isnt..and quite frankley dont give a rip..other then someone charges 99 cents for tomatoes..no real love for theme and charectors they dont care that pooh dosent belong in critter..as long as they can say look its a pooh ride..untill things change(doubtful they will ) this is what will be for a long long time

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    So Walt dreams up an idealized version of Small Town America to open his first theme park. Disney Company dreams up "how Walt saw LA when he stepped off the train in 23" to re-open a struggling theme park... am I the only one who sees the irony in this?
    Hey - I was just showing a connection between Walt and the area you were inferring wasn't there.

I think people may be going just a bit too deep on this.

The backlot and other areas at the front of the park always showed a close parallel to the MGM park. I don't see it as that radical an idea to take what has been mostly a successful concept at MGM, and improve upon it, and use the Walt angle to give it some human, or warmth, aspect people have always scorned DCA for lacking.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Honoring the man to me means more then dropping his name in an interview. It means holding your standards to his and actually trying to build something better then he already built.
    Bingo.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

so its an ego trip? the whole anything you can do i can do better song?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    so its an ego trip? the whole anything you can do i can do better song?
    More about honoring the individual who came before you. There are plenty of examples of this... ego doesn't play into it. The general reference is "What Walt would have enjoyed"... which was a common comment heard in the initial years after Walt died.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Embrace the kitsch!

If Disney honestly wanted to honor the man they would build a better park.
    End of discussion.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011