Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Main St Magic Shop being turned over to a Third Party contract

Hello there everyone in Micechat,

I've come to discover a bit of news from several CM’s concerning the Main St Magic Shop. There is a possibility that the Main St Magic shop will be closing down and contracted out to Houdini. There is said to be a contract in work already between the two companies but the fine details are still being worked out. This is a tragic bit of news that something so iconic and based in the traditions of the Walt Disney Company that they would consider outsourcing this store.

Disney has always boasted how CM’s would love “making the magic” as they worked the Main St Magic Shop. It is the only location inside the park where a store operations CM can interact with guests one to one and demonstrate the allure and surprise of magic. They even used it as the basis in their film “The 50 First Years” stating even Steve Martin got his start in the Hollywood industry doing magic tricks on Main St. Steve Martin of course was a CM, a Main St Store CM. If the Main St Magic shop was owned and operated by a third party during Steve Martin’s time at the resort. Steve Martin would have never had the chance to test his skills of communication and humor for the guests of the Disneyland Resort.

If the shop becomes third party not only is Disney going back on one of their oldest traditions of being the happiest place on earth filled with wonder and magic, but they are depriving CM’s currently working that location and future CM’s to experience the joy of being on stage as a magician to uniquely demo and perform a variety of slight of hand magic tricks for guests. It may not seem like a big deal, but imagine a third party ownership that has their own company rules and policies. The people who would work the Main St Magic Shop would not be CM’s who understand and follow of the principals and teachings of the Walt Disney Company, but a second rate company only designed to push a product line and not entertain or inspire the magic.

I say it is imperative that we try and at least vocalize our disapproval to the Walt Disney Company, even if it is just a concern at City Hall. If there is one place in this world that should have an amazing magic shop it should be Disneyland, and Disneyland should keep the tradition of the Main St Magic Shop open as a possibility for all CM’s currently working at the resort and future CM’s to have the opportunity to step into the role of a magician and entertain everyone who sets foot into Disneyland.

• Banned User

Re: Main St Magic Shop being turned over to a Third Party contract

User only has one post.. is there a troll underneath this bridge??

yes... I condemn Disney for putting magic in the magic shop. Shame on you Disney.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3slnSih-WQ&feature=related"]YouTube - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!![/ame]
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• failure for lunch

I've found Disney to be the company most guilty of homogenizing and taking away
    from the guest experience lately...so if this rumor is true, it might be for the better.

Didn't Disney do this before? In like the 50s and 60s? I've heard that one of the restaurants in Fronteirland was contracted to another guy to be ran as a restaurant.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Seasick

Contracting out a shop in Disneyland doesn't feel right...

However, since Disney at the moment insists on having every single shop in the park just sell the same generic merchandise, keeping a full-fledged magic shop on Main Street sounds pretty good.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

yeah, and I only see one or two people in there. It's a very small shop. I think their only probably going to sponsor it at the most. What you probably heard is just bull... no offense.

Are you sure they didn't just say that it will be contracted by a 3rd party to supply the shop?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Contracting out a shop in Disneyland doesn't feel right...
    Jewel of Orleans and the Crystal Shops are contracted as well. It's more common than you think...
    -Monorail Man

• Done waiting!!

I'm totally okay with this. The guys at the leased magic cart across from World of Disney always seem to be putting on cool demos with an audience. This could actually preserve the theme of the magic shop. If a CM wants to work there that bad, then work for the third-party company instead.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    yes... I condemn Disney for putting magic in the magic shop. Shame on you Disney.

YouTube - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    Here here.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

Plus they probably have to follow Disney standards because it's on Disney's Property.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    Here here.
    Sarcasm at it's best
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MirriLiu View Post
    ...imagine a third party ownership that has their own company rules and policies. The people who would work the Main St Magic Shop would not be CM’s who understand and follow of the principals and teachings of the Walt Disney Company, but a second rate company only designed to push a product line and not entertain or inspire the magic.
    If this rumor is true, hopefully the contract will have similar conditions to those that WDC made in the 50's with the third-party business people who operated many shops on Main Street and elsewhere in Disneyland.

I seem to remember reading in one of the early Disneyland employee newsletters (but am unable to cite the issue) that vendors' employees went through Van France's training school like any other "Disneylander." Third-party employees adhered to Van's standards of professionalism.

As a guest in the 50's and onward, I recall that you couldn't tell the WDC-owned Disneyland business from third-party-owned -- in their appearance and behavior, they were all "Disney." The main difference with today's CMs was that the great majority of Disneylanders were adults.

To sum it up:

• The rumor that the Main Street Magic Shop may be closing is a major bummer.
    • The rumor that it may be reopening is wonderful.
    • The rumor that it may be operated by an outside company is not necessarily worrisome. Especially given the way Disney itself has run its merch operations in the last 15 years.

We'll see which rumor(s) turns out to be true.

(No offense to the OP, but "several CM's told me" isn't News. It is a Rumor. Just sayin'. )

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-26-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• "I Break Things"

I believe several stores in NOS, and even some stores on Main Street itself used to be contracted out. I know one store in NOS that is still 3rd party owned. Part of the contract is knowing Disney's standards and abiding by them.

What I would be concerned with is a dramatic shift in prices. Houdini would attempt to make it's profit on top of Disney's "cut" and the end result would be high prices. The higher the prices the harder the sale... and no sales means closed doors. That would be my concern.

Aside from that I see no issue with allowing a 3rd party in the park if they specialize in that area and can maintain or exceed Disney's standards. This would seem to be a good compromise as the individuals at the Houdini cart actually knew more about the tricks then the CM's I witnessed attempting them.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

thats what I was thinking. They know the tricks, and plus, it's going to have magic tricks!!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast