Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Always dreaming

Minimum Purchase at Carnation Cafe?

Yesterday, I and my group stopped at the Carnation Cafe for coffee. All we wanted were mochas, which at $4 a piece would have made our bill $16, before tax and tip. However, as we were ordering, our waitress informed us that when dining at full service restaurants, at least one guest per party must order a food item. Have you ever heard anything like that before? I certainly have not.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Re: Minimum Purchase at Carnation Cafe?

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer_2
    Yesterday, I and my group stopped at the Carnation Cafe for coffee. All we wanted were mochas, which at $4 a piece would have made our bill $16, before tax and tip. However, as we were ordering, our waitress informed us that when dining at full service restaurants, at least one guest per party must order a food item. Have you ever heard anything like that before? I certainly have not.
    I have never experienced that one before!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Really? I could understand if there is a long line waiting. How were the crowds?

Seems like a really bad policy from a customer services point of view. Like saying: You are too cheap to eat here, we want more money from this table. Disney used to have a higher standard for guest service.

Perhaps one of our cast members can check this out for us and let us know what the real policy is.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Iron-Clad Allie

What a money grubbing and rude rule! I would have ordered a soda cracker.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Last sunday night for the 9:00 Fantasmic showing there was a couple that staked out a table at the River Belle and while we did the same thing, at least we ordered $60+ of food for us to enjoy. The other couple only ordered what appeared to be either two cups of coffee or hot chocolate for the entire evening (well, at least for the two hours or so that we waited). They even hogged the table for six (w/chairs) for themselves. People asked if they could sit down with them, but the couple refused to let anyone else join them. I could see that rule being used in that instance (and it SHOULD be), but not at Carnation...

It takes all kinds...

Disneyland has no idea how to run a restaurant. They seriously need help from outside the company on how to run a restaurant. The other night the wait at carnation cafe was 30 minutes. It took at least 15 munutes to bus and reset each table, thus half of the restaurant was empty at all times. It's really frusterating .

Damn the Carnation Cafe people.

• CM for 4 years!

Carnation Cafe does not tip their bussers, which is the real issue, because those bussers know that other locations get tipped, so why should they work hard? Once they start tipping bussers at Carnation, I'll be cross training. I love that location.

I know this policy is in effect at Ariel's Grotto. Each head does have to pay for a meal whether or not they eat, unless I think a child is under 18 months (correct me if I'm wrong). And it's a set price per person, on account of the princesses.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Even that policy at Ariels seems like bad customer service,
    It's not like it's an all you can eat place where they charge
    per person, like Goofy's kitchen. You really should be able
    to split a meal at Ariels.

• Always dreaming

Yes, Disneyland seriousely needs help in the dining department. When we went to Carnation, there were several empty tables, and the line was still slow moving - it took us twenty minutes to get seated - mind you there were plenty of empty tables. Also, they help refuses to get your party imformation before you step in line. So regardless of whether you are a party of ten or aparty of two, you have to wait until the people in the front of the line are seated. Now is that messud up or what.

That day, we were able to meet Chef Oscar, who has worked at Disneyland since 1956 and is the second longest remaining employee at Disneyland. He said that the thing that is lacking today is the comaraderie. He said people used to have careers Disneyland and stayed forever. Now people come and go and really don't care. He also said that management today "sucks". However, his memories are alive. He's worked everywhere: Red Wagon, Tahitian Terrace, Carnation Ice Cream Parlor... and it was such a pleasure to meet him.

happiest dining on earth? ... maybe if your just eating churros

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Ok, so what is needed to get things changed... ??

• Lost in Wonderland

Maybe I'm strange, but I think their policy is fair and quite lenient. There are lots of restaurants that have a minimum charge per person, such as $3 per person. You either spend $3 worth in food or drinks, or pay it if you don't order anything.

Would you like to go to a sit down restaurant and wait an hour because half of the people there are just ordering drinks and chatting away? Disneyland probably doesn't want their full service restaurants to become "cafes", where people go to simply get a drink and relax.

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Sidewalk
    Disneyland probably doesn't want their full service restaurants to become "cafes", where people go to simply get a drink and relax.
    I think that the name of the place is the Carnation Cafe....
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• My Children's Father

Remember earlier this year there were serious problems with the foods department ..... people waiting for a long time for even basic stuff like burgers. They probably can't afford to have part of their capacity taken up with non-food purchasing customers.

This is probably another example of a few bad apples ruining everything for the rest of us.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast