Transportation options and prices between SNA and Disneyland

Hi there. I am so glad to FINALLY be planning my next Disney trip, it feels so much longer than the ~8 months since our pilgrimage to WDW.

We come from San Jose and usually drive, but this time we may "splurge" and fly down. The best airfare options all look like SNA (Orange County, John Wayne, whatever), which works out well since it seems to be the closest game in town. My primary question is - what is cab fare? I know shuttles are cheaper, but we're willing to pay a little more for door-to-door service. Obviously that rules out mass transit, too. Do cabs have flat rates?

As a side question, does anyone know of reputable car service companies? We can skip the stretch limo, but prepaying and not having to worry about a cab may be worth a few extra bucks - even if it's just for holding up my a sign with my name on it. Any guesses as to rates there?

As for the trip, it's the usual Fri-Tues long weekend, with 3 full days in the parks. We're looking at the first weekend in December - so we'll hopefully get most of the holiday treatment with less of the holiday crowds. Can't Wait!!

Thanks!
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Re: Transportation options and prices between SNA and Disneyland

Cabs are easy to get and cost about $40 for the trip to the resort. Car service is going to cost over $100
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Rock Star Minion

How many of you are there? Three or more, a reserved private car might be the way to go.

Cab is around $40.

Shuttles are about $10 per person. Shuttles do not always take you directly where you want to go. Lots of stops for other passengers. Some won't even leave the airport without a full complement of passengers. That means you wait. Maybe your time with complete strangers getting dropped off at their hotels before you will be worth the extra time.

Source: mousesavers.com. It has coupons for the Disneyland Resort Express so it's $14 instead of $17.
    Last edited by sediment; 08-27-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Yea, that's what I figured - not really interested in waiting. Actually, it's not the waiting I mind, it's the paying to wait.

We've likely got 3, so if the shuttle runs $15 or so, the $40 for the cab is a no-brainer.

(Though I'd still like to see about car services...)

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sarki7 View Post
    (Though I'd still like to see about car services...)
    Your first assignment: get some quotes, then post them here.
    (Because I have no idea about the prices, and I have less interest in the results than you and many others. I will put the results in the SoCal Travel Planning forum, where we have a thread on Mass Transit, so all can see or have it linked.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I did a couple quick quotes (which used search filters, so can't post the URL) - and the base rate is between $65-$75 though most add on some service fees and 20% gratutity.

For example: Nationwide Quotes and San Francisco Limousine Service from Airport Commuter Limo of San Francisco
    SNA to Anaheim is $75, plus 15% (mileage, license fees, & fuel surcharge) and 20% gratuity, which comes to just over $100. Hmm.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

I did a couple quick quotes (which used search filters, so can't post the URL) - and the base rate is between $65-$75 though most add on some service fees and 20% gratutity.

For example: Nationwide Quotes and San Francisco Limousine Service from Airport Commuter Limo of San Francisco
    SNA to Anaheim is $75, plus 15% (mileage, license fees, & fuel surcharge) and 20% gratuity, which comes to just over $100. Hmm.
    See post #2

In all seriousness the cabs are right outside of baggage claim and there are plenty of them at all times. If for some reason your party expands to more than four people there are oversized cabs available with five minutes that charge the same rate as the regular cabs and no advanced notice is required.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Rock Star Minion

Hmm, maybe a limo company in SF isn't a reliable place to get a quote on SNA-DL service?
    You'll want to cut out that one extra middle-man. This should be a buyer's market, especially with competition from the cab market.
    (I'll grade your assignment as "incomplete." With a smiley-face for encouragment.)

• Rock Star Minion

Oh, quick note about that Monday and Tuesday: They MIGHT be the nights of the Cast Member Holiday parties. If so (or it might be the following week), then DL will close at 6 (fireworks at 5:45), while DCA will be open until 9 or so. That's how it was last year.
    Some cast member could chime in when the official dates are released.
    We can find out in early October, when the times for the dates in December are released.

However, these are some of the most vacant days of the year, which is why they are chosen for the holiday party. You'll still be able to see and do nearly everything you want. Your days will be filled.

Thanks for the heads up - it's pretty frustrating that they don't provide more information further in advance. I can understanding not knowing about ride downtime or even showtimes, but to not know operating hours more than two months in advance? Lame.

Either way, we like this time of year (along with early Jan) for its emptiness, and do a decent job of getting through almost everything we want in the first day of the trip. I don't think closing a few hours early will change that, but it's great to know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Hmm, maybe a limo company in SF isn't a reliable place to get a quote on SNA-DL service?
    Go ahead a click it, and you'll see they're a nationwide service, apparently based in SF. Using the drop down you can get the quote from SNA to Anaheim, which seems plenty reliable.

• Rock Star Minion

I'm just guessing that if it's not the company that will actually be picking you up and dropping you off, then they are paid a commission for bringing in business. Which might not be paid to -- and hence a lower price offered from -- a more local company.
    Again, I can't help with specifics, but two or more quotes should provide you with the leverage to choose or to bargain. (Or to give up and plan for a cab.)

Eh - even at a great rate, of say $80, it's not worth twice the money for the nicer car nor the hassle to investigate.

I assume rates are metered and not pre-set? Also, do the cabs take credit cards these days? I find that's hit or miss in a lot of places.