Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disneyland Website Hacked? (Mystery Solved, NO Hack. see 3:57 post)

Thought you folks would like to know about this. I was trying to order 2 5 day park hopper tickets off the Disneyland Web site for my trip to Disneyland next week. The site kept saying it could not confirm my credit card. After 4 attempts I called American Express to ask what was up. They told me the transaction was being rejected due to a high number of fruad complaints. I told him that I was using the Disneyland web site to order the tickets and that I doubted they were trying to defraud me. He told me that the transactions they were seeing was actually coming from pokemon.com, a known fruadulant site . I verified the number of request and the amounts. He said there is a strong possiblity the Disneyland site had been hacked if the request came through pokemon.com

So in short, I cant order my park hoppers over the web. Anybody know what might be going on here?
    Last edited by WDWHound; 10-10-2005 at 01:00 PM.

• Loves a tea party!

Re: Disneyland Website Hacked?

Scary!

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWHound
    Thought you folks would like to know about this. I was trying to order 2 5 day park hopper tickets off the Disneyland Web site for my trip to Disneyland next week. The site kept saying it could not confirm my credit card. After 4 attempts I called American Express to ask what was up. They told me the transaction was being rejected due to a high number of fruad complaints. I told him that I was using the Disneyland web site to order the tickets and that I doubted they were trying to fraud me. He told me that the transactions they were seeing was actually coming from pokemon.com, a known fruadulant site . I verified the number of request and the amounts. He said there is a strong possiblity the Disneyland site had been hacked if the request came through pokemon.com

So in short, I cant order my park hoppers over the web. Anybody know what might be going on here?

Wow, that is scary! Have you tried calling Disneyland's guest service to ask them about this?

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Wow, that is scary! Have you tried calling Disneyland's guest service to ask them about this?
    I called Disney Ticketing. Working with them, I was able to verify that the URL for the page where I ordered the tickets was correct. They gave me an e-mail address to report the problem to. I am waiting for a reply.

After thinking about it, I am guessing that these pokemon folks are contractors that Disney uses to do their online ticket purchase processing. Such a firm would probably handle other types of tickets, such as concerts, and would thus be a huge target for purchases made using stolen credit card numbers. Perhaps this firm was hit by enough identity theft that American Express chose to stop dealing with them
    Last edited by WDWHound; 10-10-2005 at 08:12 AM.

• Minion

Pokemon? As in the official website for the pokemon videogames? Very weird...

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Pokemon? As in the official website for the pokemon videogames? Very weird...
    Yup, Pokemon. Thats about as unDisney as you can get. I had the guy at American Express repeat it serveral times to make sure I heard him right.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Yup, Pokemon. Thats about as unDisney as you can get. I had the guy at American Express repeat it serveral times to make sure I heard him right.
    As Alice would say "curiouser and curiouser..."

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

This is kinda crazy. That must have been an very good hacker to be able to do that! I hope nobody on here got scammed!

BDK
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyKyle
    This is kinda crazy. That must have been an very good hacker to be able to do that! I hope nobody on here got scammed!
    BDK
    Please note that I am not yet sure it was a hack. AE simply claimed the site that submited the request was known for fruad and mentioned the strongpPossibility oif a hack. All I know for sure is that something strange is going on. I am still waiting to hear back from the Disney folks that I emailed. Hopefully they are working hard to investigate the problem (if nothing else, I want to buy my tickets, which I cant do while the problem persists). As soon as I know more, I will post it here.
    Last edited by WDWHound; 10-10-2005 at 10:28 AM.

• insufferable know-it-all

Umm... I'd be worried about your card if it IS a hack.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Umm... I'd be worried about your card if it IS a hack.
    That worries me too. AMEX has assured me that they will be watching my account for anything that looks even slightly out of line. If this does turn out to be a hack, I will have them issue me a new card number.

• Shubisha

do some virus/adware/spyware/etc... scans and make sure something's not installed on your drive picking up transactions. have you ordered anything from other sites?

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    do some virus/adware/spyware/etc... scans and make sure something's not installed on your drive picking up transactions. have you ordered anything from other sites?
    Yes, I order off the web all the time from this machine. The spyware scan is a good idea though. I'll see if spybot and norton find anything.

• Loves a tea party!

Yes, I order off the web all the time from this machine. The spyware scan is a good idea though. I'll see if spybot and norton find anything.
    That is good advice.
    I'm having trouble believing that a Disney online purchase would not come through as Disney. In fact, I've ordered tickets online from Disney.com before and surely would have noticed if the charge came through as anything but Disney.

Being a merchant myself, I can tell you that this is truly scary stuff if American Express is cutting off their ability to run charges through them. I highly doubt that this Pokemon charge is legitimate because Disney would be all over that if their ability to accept AmEx cards was at risk. Either way, if the Pokemon charges are the result of your attempts to charge through the Disney.com site, Disney should be all over it!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

It is possible to hack a website and have the information you send to it redirected somewhere else. That could have happened and would explain the Pokemon name.

This of course is just speculation, but all this sounds really fishy to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast